• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Cop:Records Pertaining To 1984 Anti-Sikh Pogroms Were Destroyed

Jul 10, 2006
Cop: Records pertaining to 1984 Anti-Sikh Pogroms were destroyed
By SSNews, pti, dnaindia
Oct 16, 2006, 17:05

1984.jpg
A Delhi Police official, deposing in a case following the 1984 anti-Sikh pogroms, informed a city court that the Shahdara Police station records, which contained entries of pogrom victim's complaints, were not available as the same have already been destroyed.

Constable Krishan Kumar, who in 1998 was the record keeper of the police station, informed Additional Sessions Judge Rajinder Kumar that the Dispatch and Complaint register of 1984 have already been destroyed by a departmental order.

"On November 26, 1998, I was posted as reader of the SHO, Investigation Officer of the present case, who has demanded dispatch and complaint register, but the same (records) had already been destroyed...," said Kumar.

On being asked about the content of the complaint of Harvinder Kaur, who lost her husband, son and son-in-law in the massacre, Kumar said "I do not know the content of the complaint dated November six, 1984."

On being confronted whether the complaint, which was in the court records, was the same received by the Police in 1984, Kumar said, "I can not confirm this fact due to want of original register....".

As per the prosecution, Kaur's husband Niranjan Singh, a head constable who was then stationed at Shahdara railway station, was attacked and set ablaze by the organised lynch mobs on November one, 1984, a day after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.

A day after this fateful incident, her 17 year-old son Gurpal Singh and son-in-law Mahender Singh were killed by the organised lynch mobs led by the same accused.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM