• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

"convert's Corner" - Ideas For Retitle?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
When I asked Admin Ji if we could have a space on the forum for people who have embraced the Sikh way of life, the only title I could think of that would get the purpose across succinctly was 'Convert's Corner'.

Admin Ji looked at me sideways as much as to say, "Really?... You can't come up with something better than that? 'Convert' isn't really a term that applies to Sikhi...".

Obviously, with Sikhi, you don't 'convert' per say. It is a process of evolving into a Sikh, identifying as a Sikh, and for the lucky ones, blossoming as an amritdhari full of unmasked and shining jyot. There is no statement you make in front of a witness to pronounce yourself as a Sikh overnight. There is no ceremony to 'convert' to Sikhi. One simply becomes a Sikh.

Perhaps a name for this subforum could be "Becoming Sikhi"? "Sikh Transformations"? "Newly Identifying Sikhs"?

Ideas, please :)

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
This would apply to all of us. We're all on the spectrum somewhere, and by definition a Sikh is always learning, always growing.

Perhaps an appropriate title would be "Discovering Sikhi", since the journey is beginning and the individual is at the start of the process.

[AoG]

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
To a degree I agree with you - although we already have a 'New to Sikhi' forum.

I suppose part of the intention with 'Convert's Corner' is that it won't just be about the beginning, but the path itself.

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
For me "Convert's Corner" was a very understandable title and it took me directly to this thread as I could see it might be the right place to ask some questions. At the same time I understand that one doesn't just convert to Sikhi, so, I agree that another name might fit better this journey. "Newly Identifying Sikhs" is very understandable to me and I can relate to it. I hope it helps :)

Balbir27

Look for what is, not what you think should be
Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2017
May I suggest:

We all have to learn a trade in this world to live. However there is also another trade to learn in order to fulfil the purpose of our birth and life.

So one becomes an apprentice, an Apprentice Sikh. Just add an s for the sub-forum.

The term should cover all stages from novice to advanced.

Simples.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM