• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Chinese Man Speaking Punjabi !

Manavk

SPNer
Feb 26, 2005
This video, made by my friend Hargopal Singh, Malaysia wale ...
makes kids (including "kids" my age = 27) WANT to speak Punjabi.

It inspires you the right way, without being forceful and saying " you SHOULD learn , you MUST learn " which are statements that will get any little ego put-off with your good intentions and probably react by doing the opposite .. It is just fun and light hearted.

Worth watching and passing around.

YouTube - Chinese man speaks amazing Punjabi!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Interviewer, Hargopal is my nephew - brother's son.
:yes::up:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
sikhs should try to spread sikhism in china.chinese embraced budhism in large numbers I hope they will like sikhism tto

anders

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
Sweden
Nah, not that strange. After all, the Chinese are practically neighbours to the Panjab.

My Swedish university very Swedish Sikhism teacher is fluent in Panjabi, and has recommended that I (100% unexcitingly pure Swede for at least as many years as we have records for = until early 14th C) take a summer course ("Summer Program in Punjab Studies") to learn more on Sikhism and the language.

Will keep you informed of my progress, if any.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Somewhere I have a great article about Sikhs in China -- once decommissioned from the British army they settled in China, there they built 4 or 5 large gurdwaras in the early 20th Century mostly in Shanghai, were members of the municipal police forces, married Chinese women and raised families as Sikhs, and finally left China in the 1950's because of the cultural revolution. Most emigrated to Malaysia and Indonesia and Hong Kong.

So there once were Sikhs in numbers in China until not that long ago.:)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Interviewer, Hargopal is my nephew - brother's son.
:yes::up:

Isnt he the son of Kartar Singh of Gombak who explains the Hukm of SGGS on Sundays at Gurdwara Titiwangsa KL ? Hargopal studied in APITT I beleive..If he is the one...then...

BTW Hargopal Singh with his father Kartar Singh has also done a very good job on a CD version of SGGS called "Shabad Guru Search Engine"....

Small world...

Gyani jarnail Singh:thumbup:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Yes, Gyani Jee, Kartar's son.
They did a splendid job updating the current version of SGGS and other banis Gurbani search engine.
He was the top student in APITT winning an award of inventing a light-receptive robot.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Good work guys.

Have you submitted this video in the sikhnet film festival ?

If not, then kindly do so, i think it would be a winner !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Troyteo

SPNer
Apr 27, 2011
Hi,
I am a singaporean chinese and would like to know how to start , i.e. the first step of learning punjabi.

Appreciate for your suggestion /pointers.

Dhanvad!
Troy

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Troyteo ji

Take a look at our section on Learn Punjabi. Read through the links and see if you can find some things there that appeal to you. We have a mountain of good material there collected over 2 years at least. At least 75 threads on the subject with links to helpful learning tools.

Ask questions in the forum if you need further help.

Look into purchasing the book, Learn Punjabi in 20 hours. http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/learn-punjabi/30852-learn-punjabi-in-20-hours.html

Once you feel you have started with the basics, it is important to have some people to converse with too. winkingmunda

Welcome to SPN. welcomekaur

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
President Obama and the Canadian PM are shown a time machine which can see 50 years into the future. They both decide to test it by asking a question each.
President Obama goes first: "What will the USA be like in 50 years’ time?"
The machine whirls and beeps and goes into action and gives him a printout, he reads it out: "The country is in good hands under the new president, José Fernandez.... crime is non-existent, there is no conflict, the economy is healthy. Vice President Jin Tao has declared Chinese language mandatory in all usa schools There are no worries."
The Canadian PM thinks, "It's not bad, this time machine, I'll have a bit of that" so he asks: "What will Canada be like in 50 years’ time?"
The machine whirls and beeps and goes into action, and he gets a printout. But he just stares at it.
"Come on, MR Harper," says Obama, "Tell us what it says."
"I can't! It's all in Punjabi!":mundabhangra:

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Narayanjot Kaur JI, The article on Sikhs in China was written by me.It is in the SPN archives somewhere.Recently I had two enquiries regards the article from some writers in India.One of whom has forwared to me updated pictures of the Gurduara building- which he visited with his wife and is still standing strong.A chinese lady that lives there now remembers Sikhs when she was a child.

This video about a Punjabi speaking chinese is not new.It has been around sometime.I have a very close Chinese friend also from Seremban who speaks Punjabi faily well because he grew up among Punjabi families living around the Loop Road area.he is in a senior position within the Asia Pacific laura Ashley company.In fact he picks me and my family up from the airport sometimes.He calls himself honorary Sikh!

He travels to India in relation to his work, and says, sometimes, when he meets Sikhs there he ..speaks punjabi and they almost fall off their chair!The last time he met one, who was enchanted that he invited him to his house for a meal and was very intrigued .

To turn the tables around, many of us Sikhs born in countries outside India speak other languages very fluently.It becomes more strangely humorous and unique when we are in our Sikh image speaking Thai or Tamil or Chinese.I have often confused the Chinese in Chinatown , London speaking in Cantonese, or the Sri lanka Tamils speaking in fluently Indian Tamil!Many years back, when Sikhs were very in France, the French were very intrigued I spoke some french, which I was learning then.

The painful thing is that when Punjbai born children and parents to impress the outside world are not speaking to their children in Punjabi but English.In the Punjab parents give priority over Punjabi to hindi or English!While the Bhaiyas from BIhar and UP are learning tuti futi Punjabi, ours are even forgetting their tutti futti Punjabi!!Sad indeed.

We should learn other languages if we can, but we should be MASTERS of Punjabi first in our homes and within teh community.

Now who would like to converse with me in Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Thai, Malay, Chinese ..Cantonese or the Hokkien version [ i speak this version more fluently].. and lastly French, not leaving the English out?
For one chinese speaking Punjabi...another Sikh can speak ...hahahaa.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM