• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Chautha Pad: A Spiritual Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2009
Re: Chauttah Pad: A spiritual life

Dear Friends,We are lucky to be born Sikhs,for the Guru has shown us how to be truly liberated.Liberation....Chautha Pad does not ensue from a life given to austerities,renunciation and myriads of meaningless rituals.Gurmat teaches us that this world is real.So live in accordance with the Guru,s Hukam:ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ
नानक सतिगुरि भेटिऐ पूरी होवै जुगति ॥
Nānak saṯgur bẖeti▫ai pūrī hovai jugaṯ.
O Nanak, meeting the True Guru, one comes to know the Perfect Way.

ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ॥੨॥
हसंदिआ खेलंदिआ पैनंदिआ खावंदिआ विचे होवै मुकति ॥२॥
Hasanḏi▫ā kẖelanḏi▫ā painanḏi▫ā kẖāvanḏi▫ā vicẖe hovai mukaṯ. ||2||
While laughing, playing, dressing and eating, he is liberated. ||2||

And also:

ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਈਐ
विचि दुनीआ सेव कमाईऐ ॥
vicẖ ḏunī▫ā sev kamā▫ī▫ai.
In the midst of this world, do seva,

ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਪਾਈਐ
ता दरगह बैसणु पाईऐ ॥
Ŧā ḏargėh baisaṇ pā▫ī▫ai.
and you shall be given a place of honor in the Court of the Lord.

The Guru has shown us THE WAY but if escapism,austerities and meaningless rituals seem so endearing,then we have to make concerted efforts to understand the Guru,s Word.Gurbani says...Raj na chahun, mukat na chahun, man preet charan kamlaare. What is this preet charan? It is to have complete faith in Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib and follow its teachings religiously.It is to make constant efforts to imbibe all those attributes ascribed to Akal Purakh andto do it while seeking the Grace of God.Simple and straightforward. Gurmat Gaadi Rah HumblySatnam Singh Randhawa

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Dear Friends,We are lucky to be born Sikhs,for the Guru has shown us how to be truly liberated.Liberation....Chautha Pad does not ensue from a life given to austerities,renunciation and myriads of meaningless rituals.Gurmat teaches us that this world is real.So live in accordance with the Guru,s Hukam:ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ

And also:

ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਈਐ
विचि दुनीआ सेव कमाईऐ ॥
vicẖ ḏunī▫ā sev kamā▫ī▫ai.
In the midst of this world, do seva,

ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਪਾਈਐ
ता दरगह बैसणु पाईऐ ॥
Ŧā ḏargėh baisaṇ pā▫ī▫ai.
and you shall be given a place of honor in the Court of the Lord.

The Guru has shown us THE WAY but if escapism,austerities and meaningless rituals seem so endearing,then we have to make concerted efforts to understand the Guru,s Word.Gurbani says...Raj na chahun, mukat na chahun, man preet charan kamlaare. What is this preet charan? It is to have complete faith in Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib and follow its teachings religiously.It is to make constant efforts to imbibe all those attributes ascribed to Akal Purakh andto do it while seeking the Grace of God.Simple and straightforward. Gurmat Gaadi Rah HumblySatnam Singh Randhawa

YES JIO..DEFINITELY...the Sarab kala Sampooran Guru..the SGGS shows the HIGHWAY..but we being so "adventurous little he-men..want to go OFF the Highway into the wilderness...macho style....to "find" an alternative way....sadly we are forgetful that this Manukha janam is EK BAAR..its VERY SHORT..to play around hiking in the woods..while the Super Highway awaits to whisk us away to Waheguru Ji in super quick time...one can take a horse to water..but cannot make it DRINK....the Gurus sahibs spent over 250 years of human life..10 jamas...to BRING US TO WATER..but they too cannot make us DRINK the AMRIT..unless we voluntarily drink it.......
Thnak You Satnam Singh RANDHAWA JI..for reiterating the valuable lesson in SGGS...1429 pages for a Successful LIFE..

C.B.Singh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2009
Re: Kala Afghana: Discussion Redux

Giani ji, I appriciate your view of point except for one sentance where you said that kamal grows in kitcher or something similar, that means still you feel the presence of women in the life is like kitcher.
A sister, A daughter and the mother and even the wife deserves the appriciation and status like in our Gurbani. Women is considered "janani" .

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

I think the curiosity and the thirst, the inner thirst which could not be quenched has compelled me to write in this forum but i wonder nobody else sharing his views. The method to meditate is not known to me otherwise i practice to chant thy name, the Gurmantar Waheguru and recite Gurbaani or sahaj paath always continue, one after the other. But even then i thirst of soul is there. Ik never ending Trishna... . What to do next ... a curiosity?

Regards.
Ajmer Singh Randhawa.

Ajmer Singh ji, so long as you do anything by thinking that you are separate from your Creator, you continue to suffer the birha of separation.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Kala Afghana: Discussion Redux

Giani ji, I appriciate your view of point except for one sentance where you said that kamal grows in kitcher or something similar, that means still you feel the presence of women in the life is like kitcher.
A sister, A daughter and the mother and even the wife deserves the appriciation and status like in our Gurbani. Women is considered "janani" .

C.B.Singh ji

I am trying to follow the thread. Please point out to me where you see Gyani ji say the "kamal grows in the kitcher" -- I search the thread and don't see it. In Post 3 he said "Woman is the Biggest Maya..way to HELL..she will stop and destroy any man's naam japp/naam kamaii etc etc." But he is talking about kamaii not kamal or kitcher (?), and actually is disagreeing with people who think that way. You can see I am confused. Thank you if you can explain where it is, which post... kamal in kitcher.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

This is a beautiful recitation and the voice/cadence alone could put me in sehaj. Thanks NamJap!

Feb 7, 2008

The next slok is
sloku mÚ 5 ] (522-14)
salok mehlaa 5.
Shalok, Fifth Mehl:
audmu kryidAw jIau qUM kmwvidAw suK BuMcu ] (522-15, gUjrI, mÚ 5)
udam karaydi-aa jee-o tooN kamaavdi-aa sukh bhunch.
Make the effort, and you shall live; practicing it, you shall enjoy peace.
iDAwieidAw qUM pRBU imlu nwnk auqrI icMq ]1] (522-15, gUjrI, mÚ 5)
Dhi-aa-idi-aa tooN parabhoo mil naanak utree chint. ||1||
Meditating, you shall meet God, O Nanak, and your anxiety shall vanish. ||1|

ang 522 SGGS

Message of our Gurus nowhere forbids us not to meditate. In fact whole essence of message of SGGS ji is naam jap.

nwnk kY Gir kyvl nwmu ]4]4] (1136-16, BYrau, mÚ 5)
naanak kai ghar kayval naam. ||4||4||

Nanak's home is filled with the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||4||

A sikh does not leave his household to achieve chautha pad. He achieves this while leading a householder's life.

Guru ji says
dsvY duAwir pRgtu hoie AwieAw ] (1069-11, mwrU, mÚ 4)
dasvai du-aar pargat ho-ay aa-i-aa.
My Tenth Gate has been opened and revealed.
qh Anhd sbd vjih Duin bwxI shjy shij smweI hy ]6] (1069-12, mwrU, mÚ 4)
tah anhad sabad vajeh Dhun banee sehjay sahj samaa-ee hay. ||6||
The unstruck sound current of the Shabad vibrates and resounds there, with the melody of the Guru's Bani; one is easily, intuitively absorbed in the Lord. ||6||

Feb 7, 2008

The next slok is
sloku mÚ 5 ] (522-14)
salok mehlaa 5.
Shalok, Fifth Mehl:
audmu kryidAw jIau qUM kmwvidAw suK BuMcu ] (522-15, gUjrI, mÚ 5)
udam karaydi-aa jee-o tooN kamaavdi-aa sukh bhunch.
Make the effort, and you shall live; practicing it, you shall enjoy peace.
iDAwieidAw qUM pRBU imlu nwnk auqrI icMq ]1] (522-15, gUjrI, mÚ 5)
Dhi-aa-idi-aa tooN parabhoo mil naanak utree chint. ||1||
Meditating, you shall meet God, O Nanak, and your anxiety shall vanish. ||1|

ang 522 SGGS

Message of our Gurus nowhere forbids us not to meditate. In fact whole essence of message of SGGS ji is naam jap.

nwnk kY Gir kyvl nwmu ]4]4] (1136-16, BYrau, mÚ 5)
naanak kai ghar kayval naam. ||4||4||

Nanak's home is filled with the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||4||

A sikh does not leave his household to achieve chautha pad. He achieves this while leading a householder's life.

Guru ji says
dsvY duAwir pRgtu hoie AwieAw ] (1069-11, mwrU, mÚ 4)
dasvai du-aar pargat ho-ay aa-i-aa.
My Tenth Gate has been opened and revealed.
qh Anhd sbd vjih Duin bwxI shjy shij smweI hy ]6] (1069-12, mwrU, mÚ 4)
tah anhad sabad vajeh Dhun banee sehjay sahj samaa-ee hay. ||6||
The unstruck sound current of the Shabad vibrates and resounds there, with the melody of the Guru's Bani; one is easily, intuitively absorbed in the Lord. ||6||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Guru Piayre Jios,
AAD ji and CB Singh Ji,
Gurfateh.

IN Indian spiritual trdaition the Kamal is the LOTUS FLOWER that is so beautiful,it floats above the dirty POND it grows in. IN metaphor..the Dirty POND is MAYA...the WORLD of Illuison that Guru Ji also calls as World of smoke/fog..and the Kamal Lotus..epitome of sheer beauty FLOATS ABOVE all this.
You would ahve noticed that the LOTUS is avery revered flower..most of the Domes especilaly in Buddhist architecture and Hindu Mandirs the LOTUS is prominently displayed....the Domes rest with lotus petals pointing outward.

1. Status of WOMAN in Hindu.Buddhist, Islamic, Biblical traditions is very low. She is INFERIOR to Man. In some writigns she is considered an impedement to Mans spiritual development. MY friend Gurbachan Singh Sidhu a retired Teacher in the UK has written an excellent book on Woman in Sikhi ( He has written a Trilogy actually - the other two books are Sikhi and Islam a compariosn, Sikhi and Christianity - a comparison, and Sikhi and Science ..ALL worth a good read ) and in it he details how badly woman is treated by virtually all religions, IN one of the Hindu texts it is said that a single look at a woman or by her is enough to send a man to hell by destroying his religious merits. IN other texts of various religions woman is said to be base, low iq, temptress, vily, deceitful, etc etc. MAYA is also DEPICTED as a Beautiful WOMAN who will disrupt a Sage's or Rishis Tapisyaa, Havans, Religious Merit with her viles and trickery. THUS Hindu sages shunned Marriage and a householders life and went off into Caves deep in the Himalayas, or Jungles in order to escape Woman and seek spiritual peace far from inhabitation. Guur Ji saw through this hypocracy...Those who SHUN WOMAN..then GO TO MARRIED MENS HOUSES to BEG FOR FOOD ? Isnt that hypocracy ? isnt that FOOD cooked by woman unfit for aman of spiritual height ?? Isnt it hypocracy that Holy men..even DEVTAS like Shiv, Brahma, Vishnu etc LUST after beautiful women ( and then BLAME her as MAYA the Temptress !!)..and while "seeking" spirituality in far off caves and jungles..CARRY WOMEN IN THEIR MINDS !!

GURU NANAK JI SAHIB was apalled at this. He was the FIRST to raise His Voice - loudly and clearly IN Asa KI vaar about the status of Woman..SHE WHO GIVES BIRTH TO KINGS, SAGES, PROPHETS,GREAT MEN..HOW can she be bad..lowly..?? So kion manda kaheeyaeh jit jammeh Rajaan ?? Guru Ji goes on..
Man is Born of Woman, Man sucks her breast for food, Man marries her,IF she dies..He marries another, He spends his life with her.He depends on Her to Bring forth his progeny....How can we disregard her ??.

GURU JI then recommended an entirely OPPOSITE PATH for Gurmukhs to attain Spiritual Heights. Guru Ji says a Gurmukh STAYS in this World..He Faces "MAYA" bravely, He resists TEMPTATION..not by running away to hide in the jungle but by REMAINING BEHIND. He marries, raises a family and GAINS SPIRITUAL HEIGHT while living a householders life. THAT is like the LOTUS FLOWER in the Dirty Pond..amidst all the so called temptations, allures, maya whatever..BUT still beautiful and floating.... rising above all this, His WIFE instead of being a hindrance..is of help..assists him on the Spiritual path. He learns to RECOGNISE and Value of the Women in his life..His wife, his daughter, his mother, His Grandmother, His sister..his bhabi, his massee, his bhua,,etc etc all have their own honourable place and status. THIS is the GURMATT PATH set forward by Guur nanak ji Sahib. A Paradigm SHIFT in terms of contemporary religious thought:up:

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Dear Randhawa Ji,

It is very easy to write about fourth state/meditation/like subjects etc but to achieve it is a Herculean task. I have read quite a bit about meditation etc but I can’t even control my body what to talk about controlling the mind but any how here are my two cents on the subject;

Fourth state/ਤੁਰੀਆਵਸਥਾ

Bliss/poise/sahaj/ fourth state/ਤੁਰੀਆਵਸਥਾ are synonymous terms IMHO defined as an exhilarating state of rapture, ecstasy of salvation, absolute happiness, spiritual joy, optimism and an absence of despair and union with the Akal Purkh. It should not be confused with sensual pleasure. You cannot have absolute happiness in a relative physical plane whether you are an atheist, agnostic or have faith in the existence of a Universal Self/God/what ever. Fourth State/ਤੁਰੀਆਵਸਥਾ- as defined in Mahan Kosh -ਗਿਆਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਸਹਿਜ ਅਵਸਥਾ, ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ ਤੇ ਟਿਕਾਉ ਵਾਲੀ ਭਟਕਣ ਮੁਕਤ ਅਵਸਥਾ. Guru Nanak says that after one conquers the three qualities of Maya through the Guru one may enjoy the fourth state (ਤੁਰੀਆਵਸਥਾ). Only rare Guru Willed persons can achieve that indescribable state known only to that person.
Three Qualities of Maya;

There are three qualities of Maya as described in Vedas are interconnected with the three vital forces of the body.

1. Sativa includes equilibrium, goodness, truth, compassion, stillness and peace.

2. Rajas includes thinking, planning and taking decisions.

3. Tamas includes greed, anger, jealousy, and laziness.

The Vedas do not know the extant of God and deal with the above described three qualities of Maya, Virtue and vice, but the fourth state/ਚਉਥਾ ਪਦੁ is known through the perfect teacher/Guru, says Guru Nanak in Ragas Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 943-15, Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 839-9, and he further ponders in Raag Gauri;

ਜਨਮਿ ਮਰੈ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਹਿਤਕਾਰੁ ॥ ਚਾਰੇ ਬੇਦ ਕਥਹਿ ਆਕਾਰੁ ॥ ਤੀਨਿ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਕਹਹਿ ਵਖਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਤੁਰੀਆਵਸਥਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਨੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਤਰਣਾ ॥ ਬਾਹੁੜਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ਹੈ ਮਰਣਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਚਾਰਿ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਕਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਖਿ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਅਰਥੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਆਨੰਦੁ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦੁ ॥੩॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੇਖਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥ ਆਸਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਸੁ ਬੁਝਾਇਆ ॥ ਦੀਨਾ ਨਾਥੁ ਸਰਬ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਣੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਤਾ ॥੪॥੧੨॥

Janam marai ṯarai guṇ hiṯkār. Cẖāre beḏ kathėh ākār. Ŧīn avasthā kahėh vakẖi▫ān. Ŧurī▫āvasthā saṯgur ṯe har jān. ||1|| Rām bẖagaṯ gur sevā ṯarṇā. Bāhuṛ janam na ho▫e hai marṇā. ||1|| rahā▫o. Cẖār paḏārath kahai sabẖ ko▫ī. Simriṯ sāsaṯ pandiṯ mukẖ so▫ī. Bin gur arath bīcẖār na pā▫i▫ā. Mukaṯ paḏārath bẖagaṯ har pā▫i▫ā. ||2|| Jā kai hirḏai vasi▫ā har so▫ī. Gurmukẖ bẖagaṯ parāpaṯ ho▫ī. Har kī bẖagaṯ mukaṯ ānanḏ. Gurmaṯ pā▫e parmānanḏ. ||3|| Jin pā▫i▫ā gur ḏekẖ ḏikẖā▫i▫ā. Āsā māhi nirās bujẖā▫i▫ā. Ḏīnā nāth sarab sukẖ▫ḏāṯa. Nānak har cẖarṇī man rāṯā. ||4||12||

One who loves the three qualities is subject to birth and death. The four Vedas speak only of the visible forms. They describe and explain the three states of mind, but the fourth state, union with the Akal Purkh, is known only through the True Guru. ||1|| Through devotional worship of the Akal Purkh, and service to the Guru, one swims across. Then, one is not born again, and is not subject to death. ||1||Pause|| Everyone speaks of the four great blessings; the Simritees, the Shaastras and the Pundits speak of them as well. But without the Guru, they do not understand their true significance. The treasure of liberation is obtained through devotional worship of the God. ||2|| Those, within whose hearts the Akal Purkh dwells, become Guru willed; they receive the blessings of devotional worship. Through devotional worship of the God, liberation and bliss are obtained. Through the Guru's Teachings, supreme ecstasy is obtained. ||3|| One who meets the Guru, beholds Him, and inspires others to behold Him as well. In the midst of hope, the Guru teaches us to live above hope and desire. He is the Master of the meek, the Giver of peace to all. Nanak's mind is imbued with the Lotus Feet of the Akal Purkh. ||4||12||-----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 154-12

Guru Amardas in Siri Raag Ponders on it;

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਚਉਥਾ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੇਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥ ਪੋਤੈ ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਹੈ ਤਿਨ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੇਲਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚਿ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਚੋ ਸਾਚੁ ਕਮਾਵਣਾ ਸਾਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ ॥ ਆਪੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਚਰਣੀ ਲਗਾ ਚਲਾ ਤਿਨ ਕੈ ਭਾਇ ॥ ਲਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਹਜੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਮਹਲੁ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਐਸਾ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਲੋੜਿ ਲਹੁ ਜਿਦੂ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਚੁ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੈ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸੈ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥ ਜੇਹਾ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਤੇਹੋ ਜੇਹਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਏਹੁ ਸਹਸਾ ਮੂਲੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਭਾਉ ਲਾਏ ਜਨੁ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਦੁਇ ਮੂਰਤੀ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੧੧॥੪੪॥

Ŧarai guṇ mā¬i¬ā moh hai gurmukẖ cẖa¬uthā paḏ pā¬ė. Kar kirpā melā▫i▫an har nām vasi▫ā man ā▫e. Poṯai jin kai punn hai ṯin saṯsangaṯ melā▫e. ||1|| Bẖā▫ī re gurmaṯ sācẖ rahā▫o. Sācẖo sācẖ kamāvaṇā sācẖai sabaḏ milā▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o. Jinī nām pacẖẖāṇi▫ā ṯin vitahu bal jā▫o. Āp cẖẖod cẖarṇī lagā cẖalā ṯin kai bẖā▫e. Lāhā har har nām milai sėhje nām samā▫e. ||2|| Bin gur mahal na pā▫ī▫ai nām na parāpaṯ ho▫e. Aisā saṯgur loṛ lahu jiḏū pā▫ī▫ai sacẖ so▫e. Asur sangẖārai sukẖ vasai jo ṯis bẖāvai so ho▫e. ||3|| Jehā saṯgur kar jāṇi▫ā ṯeho jehā sukẖ ho▫e. Ėhu sahsā mūle nāhī bẖā▫o lā▫e jan ko▫e. Nānak ek joṯ ḏu▫e mūrṯī sabaḏ milāvā ho▫e. ||4||11||44||

The three qualities hold people in attachment to Maya. The Guru willed attains the fourth state of higher consciousness. Granting Its Grace, God unites us with It self. The Name of the Akal Purkh comes to abide within the mind. Those who have the treasure of goodness join the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. ||1|| O Siblings of Destiny, follow the Guru's Teachings and dwell in truth. Practice truth, and only truth, and merge in the True Word of the Shabad. ||1||Pause|| I am a sacrifice to those who recognize the Name of the Akal Purkh. Renouncing selfishness, I fall at their feet, and walk in harmony with Its Will. Earning the Profit of the Name of the Eternal God, I am intuitively absorbed in the Naam. ||2|| Without the Guru, the Mansion of the God's Presence is not found, and the Naam is not obtained. Seek and find such a True Guru, who shall lead you to the True Akal Purkh. Destroy your evil passions, and you shall dwell in peace. Whatever pleases the God comes to pass. ||3|| As one knows the True Guru, so is the peace obtained. There is no doubt at all about this, but those who love God are very rare. O Nanak, the One Light has two forms; through the Sabd, union is attained. ||4||11||44||-----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 30-13

Conclusion;

In an attempt to reach the 4rth state one should purify and control the mind through the Grace of Akal Purkh, self-restraint, selfless service, charity, study of the Word with understanding and reflection, singing the praises of the Akal Purkh in the holy company, subjugation of sensual joys (Maya) and the development of virtues. These activities will lead to the celestial music playing in the mind with the exhilaration and absolute happiness called bliss, where virtue or vice does not affect says Guru Nanak in stanza 51 of Sidh Gost in Raag Ramkali;

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੁੰਨੰ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁੰਨੰ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸੁੰਨ ਮਸੁੰਨੰ ॥ ਚਉਥੇ ਸੁੰਨੈ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਪਾਪੁ ਨ ਪੁੰਨੰ ॥ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਸੁੰਨ ਕਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥ ਜੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਰਾਤਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਈ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਬਿਧਾਤਾ ॥੫੧॥

Anṯar sunaʼn bāhar sunaʼn ṯaribẖavaṇ sunn masuʼnnaʼn. Cẖa▫uthe sunnai jo nar jāṇai ṯā ka▫o pāp na puʼnnaʼn. Gẖat gẖat sunn kā jāṇai bẖe▫o. Āḏ purakẖ niranjan ḏe▫o. Jo jan nām niranjan rāṯā. Nānak so▫ī purakẖ biḏẖāṯā. ||51||

The absolute Akal Purkh is deep within and outside us as well. It totally fills the three worlds.
One who knows the Akal Purkh in the fourth state, is not subject to virtue or vice. One who knows the mystery of God the Absolute, who pervades each and every heart, knows the Primal Being, the Immaculate Divine Creator. That humble being who is imbued with the Immaculate Naam, O Nanak, is himself the Primal God, the Architect of Destiny. ||51||-----Guru Nanak, Raag Ramkali Sidh Gost, AGGS, Page, 943-15

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal

Veer grewal ji, My sincere thanks to you. I think i have got the answer though i invite more learned scholars like you to bless us with their esteem knowledge, so that all the curious readers may get the benefits of Gurbaani.I have copied it to achieve my goal.
Regards.
Ajmer Singh Randhawa.

Feb 7, 2008

I have read quite a bit about meditation etc but I can’t even control my body what to talk about controlling the mind but any how here are my two cents on the subject;

Grewal ji

Are you telling us that meditation is barred by our gurus. If so please give us a precise quote from guru granth sahib ji.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Gyani ji

Thank you for clarifying that the word is not "kitcher" but "chikkar." That was what confused me.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਭਏ ਬੈਰਾਗੀ
कई कोटि भए बैरागी ॥
Ka▫ī kot bẖa▫e bairāgī.
Many millions become Bairaagees, who renounce the world.

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਸੰਗਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੀ
राम नाम संगि तिनि लिव लागी ॥
Rām nām sang ṯin liv lāgī.
They have attached themselves to the Lord's Name.

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਖੋਜੰਤੇ
कई कोटि प्रभ कउ खोजंते ॥
Ka▫ī kot parabẖ ka▫o kẖojanṯe.
Many millions are searching for God.

ਆਤਮ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਲਹੰਤੇ
आतम महि पारब्रहमु लहंते ॥
Āṯam mėh pārbarahm lahanṯe.
Within their souls, they find the Supreme Lord God.

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਦਰਸਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਿਆਸ
कई कोटि दरसन प्रभ पिआस ॥
Ka▫ī kot ḏarsan parabẖ pi▫ās.
Many millions thirst for the Blessing of God's Darshan.

ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਮਿਲਿਓ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਬਿਨਾਸ
तिन कउ मिलिओ प्रभु अबिनास ॥
Ŧin ka▫o mili▫o parabẖ abinās.
They meet with God, the Eternal.

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਮਾਗਹਿ ਸਤਸੰਗੁ
कई कोटि मागहि सतसंगु ॥
Ka▫ī kot māgėh saṯsang.
Many millions pray for the Society of the Saints.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਤਿਨ ਲਾਗਾ ਰੰਗੁ
पारब्रहम तिन लागा रंगु ॥
Pārbarahm ṯin lāgā rang.
They are imbued with the Love of the Supreme Lord God.

ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਹੋਏ ਆਪਿ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ
जिन कउ होए आपि सुप्रसंन ॥
Jin ka▫o ho▫e āp suparsan.
Those with whom He Himself is pleased,

ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਜਨ ਸਦਾ ਧਨਿ ਧੰਨਿ ॥੬॥
नानक ते जन सदा धनि धंनि ॥६॥
Nānak ṯe jan saḏā ḏẖan ḏẖan. ||6||
O Nanak, are blessed, forever blessed. ||6||
(Ang 276)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Grewal ji

Are you telling us that meditation is barred by our gurus. If so please give us a precise quote from guru granth sahib ji.

Inder Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Please describe what meditation means according to SGGS in lay man's terms and please quote full Shabads with the interpretation in your own words if you decide to copy and paste the literal translation from the internet.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Dear Inder Ji,

I did not say that but said that I am unable to meditate as I can not even keep my body in one stable position.

Virinder

Feb 7, 2008

Please describe what meditation means according to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in lay man's terms

jo paraanee govind Dhi-aavai.
That mortal who meditates on the Lord of the Universe, piVAw AxpiVAw prm giq pwvY ]1] (197-18, gauVI, mÚ 5)
parhi-aa anparhi-aa param gat paavai. ||1||
whether educated or uneducated, obtains the state of supreme bliss

ang 197

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Gyani ji

Thank you for clarifying that the word is not "kitcher" but "chikkar." That was what confused me.

AAD JI, Gurfateh.

My sincere apologies as i left it unfinished.
The word for muck..is indeed KEECHARR as used in Gurbani
and it has been turned around in SLANG into CHIKARR.
Another example is ADHRAK but in slang its ADHKAR (Ginger)
Sorry Ji.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM