• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Chardi Kala

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

On charda kala:

I have a request. Would any of you be willing to share how the attitude it creates has helped you throughout specific struggles in your lifetimes? It might make an inspiring thread.

Which parts of Sri Guru Granth Sahib inspire you, filling you with that ability to walk patiently and fearlessly during difficult times.

Nam Jiwan icecreammunda

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
SPN ji

I am trying to find "Chardi Kala" in Gurmukhi. Not sure if chardi kala it is found in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib anywhere. If not, I am not sure if it would or could be written in Gurmukhi. Does anyone know of a website where I can see it? Where is a good resource for finding things like this?

:sippingcoffeemunda:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
my own opinion, Chardi Kala is not a magic incantation that transforms your life, it is a state of mind, it is an awareness, it is the end product of being a Gurmukh, it is how you feel about yourself, your opinion of yourself, spend a few days living like a Gurmukh, and Chardi Kala follows,

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Harry ji

my own opinion, Chardi Kala is not a magic incantation that transforms your life, it is a state of mind, it is an awareness, it is the end product of being a Gurmukh, it is how you feel about yourself, your opinion of yourself, spend a few days living like a Gurmukh, and Chardi Kala follows,

I apologize if I seemed to suggest it was like a magic mantra. I don't mean that.

I have been thinking a lot about how compassion shared in difficult times often creates a way to become resilient during tragedies like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

In Connecticut, most of us are feeling really overwhelmed as our community comes to terms with the horrific tragedy.

It is never too late to learn this skill. I think most people are unable to do it. I would like to learn more about it so I can help myself and also learn what is needed to help create that sense of resilience when support is needed.

But I am not really discussing all that in this thread. I am hoping to locate the words in Gurmukhi as part of a spiritual art project which I will share later if it all comes into fruition. Ma willing.

peacesign

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Nam Jiwan Kaur ji thanks for starting this thread. Perhaps we can look at the constituent words as,

• Chardi
    • Rising; Uplifting; Looking up
  • Kala
    • Spirit; Soul; Mindset
So the question becomes how it comes to be. It is in my mind a very difficult state and much wavering happens when we get tested by matters of the heart, health and the world. What one needs to bring to bear is the learning of compassion, Hukam/dictum, consonance, change being a constant, nothing being of permanence, and so on. When one is able to get this ball of wax into shape for living day to day or even moment to moment, you have achieved Chardi KAla.

Hope above is in context.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: In Chardi Kala one almost physically looks up rather than looks down or puts one's head down no matter what the circumstance mundahugkudihug

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM