• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Chardi Kala

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Chardi Kala is an important expression used in Sikhism for a mind frame that a Sikh has to accept and practice. It loosely means a "positive, buoyant and optimistic" attitude to life and the future.

* Always be – in "high spirits", "ever progressive", "always cheerful", etc are some other terms used to describe this phrase.

* Sikhism dictates that Sikhs believes in the Will of God and that God is without enemies and is always merciful. Hence acceptance of his Will is in the interest of and for the benefit of His Creation, even if at times one suffers severe hardship.

This attitude of "Chardi Kala" is to allow one to sail through the ups and downs of life with a minimum harmful impact to the individual.
To join and help others in their hour of need is part of this "Chardi Kala" spirit.

History Behind "Chardi Kala": From 1499 when Guru Nanak’s revolutionary teachings were revealed to the world, though to the compilation of the writings of the Gurus in the Adi Granth. And to the Vaisakhi of 1699 - the culmination of 200 years of teachings of the Gurus. 1799 saw the rise of the Sikh Empire and in 1899 a re-awakening of the spirit.

Finally to the present day as Sikhs have spread to all the continents of the world, we look out towards the beginning of a new Millennium. From the outset, when Guru Nanak began spreading his message the Spirit embodied within the Sikhs has been a strength of the faith. The concept of "Chardi Kala" - always in high spirits and ever progressive - is central to the Sikh philosophy. This notion not only emanates from the Sikh people, but gains strength from the simplicity and universality of the message of the Gurus.

This spirit is embedded within the hearts of Sikhs all over the world. A hard working, God loving people who have made an impact in every community in which they have settled. This spirit is evidenced in many ways to different people. To people who have served alongside Sikhs in the World Wars they are brave soldiers, to some they are hard working farmers or shop-keepers or possibly professionals such as doctors and accountants. The Sikhs have become prominent members of the world religious landscape not merely because of their unique identity, but also because they carry this spirit given to them by the ten Sikh Gurus, whose divinely revealed teachings are kept alive today within the Sikh holy scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

ਗੁਰੂ ਫਤੇਹ੍ਜੀ

Sangatji please let me know if i am going wrong somewhere,i am nobody to write this it is truly copied from the public domains.

Regards,
Sunny Wadhwa

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Dear Sunny Wadhwa ji,

Sangatji please let me know if i am going wrong somewhere,i am nobody to write this it is truly copied from the public domains.

Actually, this is part of an article in Sikhiwiki, a really great article, btw, called Chardi kala.

I'll be happy to help if I can, but I haven't a clue what you mean.

You have a very nice website, too.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM