• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Caste Wars

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
06_06_2009_015_006_016.jpg

06_06_2009_015_006_016.jpg

06_06_2009_015_006_002.jpg

Khushwant Singh

Caste wars THE RECENTeruption of violence among sikh groups in Vienna and its repercussions in Punjab reminded me of a Punjabi saying: Where there is one Sikh, there is one Sikh; Where there are two Sikhs, there is a Singh Sabha; Where there are three Sikhs, there is rawla-rappa (turmoil) When I first went to Vienna, I did not see a single fellow Sikh in the week I spent in the city.On my second visit a few years later I was told by our embassy officials that a few Sikhs had been given asylum bythe Austrian government because they claimed they had fled India as they were followers of Sant Bhindranwale and would be eliminated by the Indian police if they stayed on.

They had formed a Singh Sabha and set up a Gurdwara. They were Jat Sikhs. Later, other Sikhs followed who were largely non-Jat belonging to Scheduled Castes.

They did not feel comfortable going to a Jat Sikh run gurdwara and set up one of their own down the same street. The inevitable rawla-rappa followed.

When a sant, head of the sect of the second gurdwara went on a visit, Sikhs of the first gurdwara stormed in, assaulted the head and killed his aide. The victim’s followers in Punjab went on the rampage in many cities — Jalandhar, Amritsar, Ludhiana,Patiala — and set fire to buses, trains, public and private property.

The Prime Minister appealed for peace and reminded them that Sikh Gurus condemned caste distinctions and preached community harmony. It fell on deaf ears because there is no truth in the assertion that Sikhs do not have a caste hierarchy.As a matter of fact, they pay lip service to a caste-less society, but in practice subscribe to it. Its vicious hold is not seen in cities or large towns, but is found in the countryside: separate gurdwaras, separate wells and separate localities.

Caste-intermarriages which are rare even among the well-to-do and educated are unknown in villages.

That is the principal reason why hundreds of derasheaded byBabas and Sants flourish all over Punjab and Haryana. They welcome people of all castes as well as Hindus, Muslims and Christians.

The Granth Sahib is read and revered;however the focus of attention is a Babaji or Santji. The one attacked in Vienna is the creation of followers of Sant Ravi Das,who was a chamar (cobbler) and whose hymns are incorporated in the Granth Sahib.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Facts are that even the GUIRU RAVDASS GURDWARAS in the UK..have BANNED this sant ramanand from preaching there as he was a heretic who insisted on insulting the sggs as a routine matter.
Essentially he is leader of a TINY SECT DERA BALLAN..and NOT all Ravidassis.
The entire trumoil is politically motivated as PUNJABIS seldom RIOT..even during the 1984 holocaust there were no riots or damage to public properties...in fact states like Tamil nadu has more rioting and burning trains buses etc OVER JUST ONE issue..the HINDI ISSUE than ALL the minor skirmishes that ever happeend in Punajb for past 60 yaers. OF RECENT YEARS this RIOT CULTURE is gaining ground..as it is POLITICALLY FUNDED and encouraged as were the 11984 Delhi Holocaust. The POLICE were ordered to be MUTE ONLOOKERS whiel PUNJAB BURNT in the latest "riots"...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is a shame that we refuse to learn from SGGS. We have many people who call themselves SIKH SANTS, become Katahvacchaks who are invited to do Gurbani Katha in the Gurdwaras all around the world.Once they are given the opportunity at the stage,they forget the true message of SGGS and start lacing Gurbani with their own concocted stories, what our Guru Amar Das called Kachi Baani in Anand Sahib that we chant everyday during our Nitnem. They forget that our Gurus never gave themselves any titles. One can check the SGGS for this. These people love the title SANT because it makes them a money making machine.

When AkalTakhat has the Gurmat courage to ban all these so called self proclaimed SANTS to say or talk about anything in the presence of SGGS rather than banning other people who disagree with them, then only Sikhi will be able to start getting rid itself of SANTMAT and begin to embrace GURMAT.

Tejwant Singh

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Were these riots really furious affairs? I mean, some idiot on another forum was comparing them to the 1984 Delhi ones, I think that is plain stupid based on what I have seen.

Besides, I've said it before: In my opinion, until Sikhs really follow the conceptof a casteless society, I don't see deras disappearing anytime soon. Even after that they will have to address the seemingly innate characteristic of Indians to follow any person with an aura of mysticism.....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM