• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can You Retain Your Got & Still Be Against Caste

Jun 1, 2004
Can you retain your Got (surname) and still be against caste.

A lot of Sikhs have like sounding names, so there has to be something to differentiate them by. Is there anything wrong with using Sandhu, Gill, Brar, etc with your name?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
GOTs- caste or tribal originators ??

IMHO it is not about "Got" per se but about Haumaii...ego..."I"ness.

A person can write his Got behind his name and still be the epitome of Nimrata, humility, ego-lessness....

A person without "Got" to identify him and trying to be "nameless" may be so chock full of haumaii, ego that it may be spilling out of his socks

IMHO the modern GOT is just an identifyer..."sticky" in forum lingo..some use their Pind (village) as identifier, some use Nom de Plumes ( Arshi is mine and as a "word" it signifies celestial..optimistic...as opposed to Farshi..grounded..pessimistic..down to earth !!..BUT there is also a caste Got "Arshi" common among Muslims in pakistan whcih get things confused sometimes as I am Dhillon Jatt and Sikh ( Dhillon is a Got and has no "word" equivalent in punjabi), some use their books, films, newspapers, famous poems, etc as identifyers, which all serve the same purpose.

The EGO in caste is primarily HINDU based...a Hindu is BORN into his caste and cannot change no matter what...a Sikh leaves his caste behind ( If he ever had one..American, Malaysian, Chinese, French Sikhs etc have no caste to begin with..) when he becomes a SIKH. The Got factor is RACIAL TRIBAL based and is a useful indicator to prevent intermarriage/incest as all Dhillons for example belong to one family, which over the years has become too large and spread all over the world but still originally from one tribe/village/area.

ONLY when a Sikh consciously avoids "soemone he pereives as "low caste" in marriage unions etc then that behaviour is anti sikhi.This is NOT allowed in Gurmat as we must see the Sikhi/Gurmatt/Rehat/Life style of our partner/our childrens partner rather than his "caste" per se.

Jarnail singh

Jun 1, 2004
Re: GOTs- caste or tribal originators ??

1. Whats the importance of Got in Sikhi?

2. Whats the importance of Got to the people?

3. Is it a tribal way of seggregation?

4. Is sikhi based on any tribal concept or a universal brotherhood?

hssingh

SPNer
Dec 17, 2004
Sat Sri Akal ji .... I had just a simple question from Gyani Ji .... If Guru sahib had wanted us to keep our GOT's with our names he wouldnt have given us all the name Singh or Kaur.The basic concept and pillar on which Guru Sahib based sikhism was to abolition of Caste system and equality of all. I believe what ever reason might try to give to keep his GOT in front of his name the fact remains He or She wants to keep there so called heriechial position in society and sees others as some what lower or atleast different from himself. Lets atleast be true to ourselves. Bhul Chuk maaf ji I am a silent observer of this forum but compelled to write.
Hardeep

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: