• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can Someone Explain Sikhism To Me?

drawnbravo

SPNer
Aug 10, 2010
Also, in one of my classes, the prof said that sikhism, particularly in New Jersey, was a touchy subject and that he did not want to get into it. Does anyone know what he was referring to?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Also, in one of my classes, the prof said that sikhism, particularly in New Jersey, was a touchy subject and that he did not want to get into it. Does anyone know what he was referring to?

drawnbravo ji

The title of this thread is not related to the question you are asking. What are you really trying to find out?

If your professor believes that Sikhism is a touchy subject, why not ask him privately to explain why he feels that way?

If you want to find out more about Sikhism on the other hand, start by reading threads in our Sikh Sikhi Sikhism section and our New to Sikhism. You will have some background after reading and doing some research to have a better discussion with the professor.

What would be a better thread title? What is really on your mind? If you let me know I can change it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007
I live in NJ and and can come to talk to your professor ( in a nice way) to explain SIKHI to him - if you don't have the guts to ask him yourself what he meant by - it's a touchy subject and he does't want to get into it ?

NinduP

SPNer
Sep 14, 2010
English word of sikh is Learner,
As "Ego" found to be a barrier between "Soul" & "God",
So Guru's give their seekers the name "Sikh" or "Learner"
So "Ego" is "Ego",
One can also have the "Ego" of knowledge,
To control the sence of "Ego" guru's alwayas advocated their seekers always to remain a "Learner" or "Sikh",
Even to remain "Sikh" or "Learner" at higher peaks of spirituality,
In fact "Sikh" or "Learner" is not a Religon or any perticular caste.

I like this that definitely resonates with me. A Sikh is always a learner, because you can only contemplate on so much in a day, and it's kind of a life long thing, always learning about what we are and stuff.

Also the part about it not being a religion as such. For it to be called a religion it implies exclusivity and division for some people who have not actually bothered studying sikhi.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: