• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can Sikh Girl Marry A Hindu Boy?

Can Sikh Girl Marry Hindu Boy

• Its permitted

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Its not permitted

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Its Ok if they already love each other

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Its not permiited within sikh religion

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
pls qualify because the laws of causality are part n parcel of the human make and humans in part, make up society.

OK so it's fair to say I can tighten up my assertion..

Societies, cultures, do not move in what we deem to be linear progression. Just think about 'the final solution'.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Societies, cultures, do not move in what we deem to be linear progression. Just think about 'the final solution'.
....by linear cause n effect is meant what caused what to come about. I'm using linear in that particular context. I'd appreciate if you were to elobrate on your version.

Many thanks

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
....by linear cause n effect is meant what caused what to come about. I'm using linear in that particular context. I'd appreciate if you were to elobrate on your version.

Many thanks
I appreciate the context which you have articulated here. It is the analogous metaphor to biological human evolution I find problematic.
Thanks
S

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Why do sikh girls wish to marry hindu boys in the first place ?

does it have anything to do with the fact that hindu boys are clean-shaven and therefore seen as aesthetically more pleasing ? I feel this is biggest reason

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Good morning Everyone,

Sukh, the context within which I used the term "linear" was to show how a society comes into being as opposed to a ready made "state" waiting to be entered. The expression linear was to an end to show how the Hindu-Islamic "society" at the time of Baba Nanak paved the way for modern Sikh Society to come into existence.

Society originates because humans as individuals are not self-sufficient. They have many varied needs which they cannot supply for themselves. That as a result, promotes the idea of a group of individuals to come together to live in communities. When enough people are grouped together to satisfy their varied needs a social state is found. And, it was this kind of a social state that allowed social scientists such as Emile Durkheim to model it along those evolutionary traits found in biological "organisation's". He called Society a "living" organism analogous to the biological in that specific model of its "organisation".

I too in expressing a view of the origins of Sikhism applied the same, insofar, Sikhism has an "organic" relationship with Hinduism.

Good day !

Last edited:

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016

does it have anything to do with the fact that hindu boys are clean-shaven and therefore seen as aesthetically more pleasing ? I feel this is biggest reason

There are plenty of Sikh women that marry Sikh men with or without beards/facial hair.
There are plenty of people that marry others from different religions, and a beard is probably not the main reason why.
There are also plenty of Sikh men that do not marry Sikh women.
Since when is there a huge movement where Sikh women are marrying Hindu men, anyways?

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

That's a very cynical judgement..

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
There is no embargo on Sikh boy marrying a girl from other religions or vice versa. A Sikh however has to maintain his faith in Sikhism and Rehat maryada to be a Sikh. During marriage ritural and at lavan the granthi specifically says that bridegroom and bride should go through amrit sanchar ceremony for which most of the Sikhs follow the directions. it means both the bridegroom and bride should become amritdhari before the marriage or immediately therafter. This is the tradition which has been followed.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
I don't see Hindu-Sikh relationships as any different to any other interfaith relationship. The couple will have to think extremely carefully about how things will work as there are many differences in the 2 philosophies. Some examples are, will Hindu murtis be allowed in the house as they are against Sikh practice, will alcohol be allowed in the house, what expectations will be there around kesh, how will children be brought up, at special times will they have a paath or puja, will they believe in one God or many Gods etc etc. Won't it be confusing for children if they are being taught to believe in Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu and then hearing a shabad such as this Sri Granth: Amrit Keertan SGGS Page 479
Ridiculous

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM