• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can anyone suggest me literature sources where I can find Sakhis on Guru Saheban?

Naaz kaur

SPNer
Aug 21, 2023
Wjk Wjf
I had once read a book written in Pwadhi by Bhai Vir Singh Ji (i think) and in it, he mentioned various sakhis that were related to guru ji 's ucharan of different verses from Gurbani. Last week I stumbled upon a sikh wiki page wherein the sakhi of Maskeen and Guru Nanak Dev ji was being told and how it is related to the verse "Sukhi Vasay Maskeenia"in Sukhmani Sahib. I believe it really made me feel connected to Gurbani and try to understand it a bit more than my humble brain could. If there are any sources where I could find Sakhis related to other verses and contexts for Gurbani, Kindly let me know!
bhull chuk lyi maaf:bluekhanda:

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Sikhbookclub.com

Type any gurus name and you'll find related books to download for free..
It also has puratan janamsakhis and similar material...

dpcpress

DrDLN
SPNer
Jul 23, 2004
I would request for understanding gurbani, please start with translations of Japuji Sahib and Kathas by devotees such as Sant Maskeen.

Sakhis are not real but allegorical accounts. I am very impressed by your desire to understand and learn. Wish you all the best.

dalvinder45

SPNer
Jul 22, 2023
following books are best as Sakhi sources
Janamsakhis
Manuscript versions of Puratan Janmsakhi: The earliest versions in manuscript are of (a) 1701 AD available in Moti Bagh, Rajbhavan Pustaklya, Patiala whose copy is available in (b) Sikh Reference Library, Sri Amritsar (Ms 5462). Other versions are a copy of (c) 1734 AD with Shamsher Singh Ashok, (d) a copy of 1757 AD with Baba Kuldip Singh Bedi of Batala and (e) a copy of 1772 AD (Ms No. 2310) in Khalsa College Amritsar and in (f) Bhasha Vibhag Punjab, Patiala, Ms 164: (g) The printed versions of Puratan Janamsakhi of Survey of India Press, Dehradun (1885 AD), (h) MA Manulife (1885) Gulshan Punjab Press, Rawalpindi and (j) Khalsa Samachar Press, Amritsar (1959) Other Janamsakhis include (k) Janam Sakhi Sodhi Meharban (2 Vols), Khalsa College, Amritsar, 1763-69 AD, (l)Janam Sakhi Paida Mokha also called of Bhai Bala Ms with Shamsher Singh Ashok. These Janamsakhis are found in print edited by Dr Kirpal Singh, Dr Surinder Singh Kohli, Shamsher Singh Ashok, Bhai Vir Singh, Dr. Piar Singh etc.

Kirpal Singh (Dr.) (ed.) Janamsakhis in Janamsakhi Prampara published by Punjabi University, Patiala containing edited versions of Puratan Janamsakhi (Janamsakhi Walaitwali), Janam Sakhi Bhai Bala, Janam Sakhi Meharban (Sach Khand Pothi and Pothi Har Ji) and Janamsakhi Bhai Mani Singh (Gian Ratnawali) are the most read. Puratan Janamsakhi edited by Bhai Vir Singh and later by Shamsher Singh Ashok, however, remains to be the most reliable and have been referred in addition to the other Janamsakhi versions contained in Dr Kirpal Singh Janasakhi Prampara furthering this research.

1. Janamsakhi Bhai bala, edited by Dr Surinder Singh Kohli, Punjab University Chandigarh, 1990, (2nd edn),
2. Puratan Janam Sakhi edited by Bhai Veer Singh Sahit Sadan, New Delhi, Jan 2006 (15th edn),
3. Kirpal Singh (Dr.) Janam sakhi Prampara, Punjabi University, Patiala, Dec 1969,
4. Dr Surinder Singh Kohli, Travels of Guru Nanak ,
5. Gyani Gian Singh, Twareekh Guru Khalsa,
6.Gyani Lal Singh Sangrur, Twareekh Guru Khalsa
7.Sahib Singh, Prof: 30 October 1507 (1 Asu Samvat 1564) –November 1515.
8. Sukhdial Singh, Punjab da itihas Guru Kal 1469-1708: Jild Panjvin, Patiala Punjabi University, pp.45-46,
9. Kartar Singh Das guru sahiban
10. Bhai santokh Singh
11.Dhanna Singh Chehal, Gur Thirath Cycle Yatra,
12. Punitinder Kaur Sidhu, Guru Nanak’s Blessed Trail (Punjab), Lonely Planet Global Limited, Punjab October 2019
13. Gurmuksh Singh . Historical Sikh Shrines, Singh Brothers Amritsar, 1995,
14. Iqbal Qaisaer: Historical Sikh Shrines in Pakistan, Punjabi History Board, 1998
15. Gyani Lal Singh Sangrur Twareekh Guru Khalsa
16. Bhai Gurdas Varan published by SGPC

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
I would request for understanding gurbani, please start with translations of Japuji Sahib and Kathas by devotees such as Sant Maskeen.

Sakhis are not real but allegorical accounts. I am very impressed by your desire to understand and learn. Wish you all the best.
It is inappropriate to presume that anyone reading a JanamSakhi or wanting to read a Sakhi doesn't have understanding of gurbani

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: