• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Campaign To Reward Homeless Man Who Returned Diamond Engagement Ring Hits $175,000 - And That Total

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Billy Ray Harris had a hunch Sarah Darling would return for her valuable ring, so decided to take care of it rather than pawn it

homeless-pic.jpg

An internet campaign to raise money for a homeless man who returned a diamond engagement ring to a woman after it fell into his cup has so far raised over $175,000.

As of 1pm this afternoon, over 7,500 people have donated to a fund to reward Kansas resident Billy Ray Harris, with the ever-growing total now well over the equivalent of £100,000.

And the fund could still grow considerably, as there are 72 days to go before the 90-day appeal ends.

The campaign was set up by the fiancé of Sarah Darling, who accidentally dropped her engagement ring into Mr Harris’ cup while giving him spare change.

Mr Harris discovered the ring about an hour after Ms Darling gave him the money and, although he says he knew it was incredibly valuable, he decided to hold on to it, rather than cash it in.

“The ring was so big that I knew if it was real, it was expensive,” Mr Harris told local television station KCTV, before adding that he’d had a hunch the owner would return for it and so decided to keep it safe.

Mr Harris, who usually sleeps under a bridge, said that a distraught Ms Darling returned to him two days later after failing to find him the previous day.

He told KCTV: “She squatted down like you did right there and says ‘Do you remember me?’ And I was like ‘I don’t know, I see a lot of faces’. She says ‘I might have gave you something very valuable’. I said ‘Was it a ring?’ And she says ‘yeah’. And I said ‘Well I have it’.

Ms Darling described the find as a miracle, adding that she “was so incredibly upset, more than just the value of the ring, it had sentimental value.”

Ms Darling said she rarely took her ring off but that day she had developed a small rash on her finger, so decided to keep it in her purse for safekeeping.

Ms Darling’s fiancé Bill Krejci was so moved by Mr Harris’ kindness that he set up a GiveForward.com donation page.

Originally designed for friends of the couple to make small donations, the appeal exceeded its $1,000 target within the first couple of days. Now, just 18 days into the 90-day campaign, the total raised stands at over $175,000- all of which will be given to Mr Harris directly.
In explaining why he chose not to pawn the ring, Mr Harris said it was due to his religious background.

He told KCTV: “My grandfather was a reverend. He raised from the time I was six months old and thank the good Lord. It’s a blessing but I do still have some character.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...days-to-go-8511222.html?origin=internalSearch

Apr 11, 2007
Honsety exists mostly among the Dirt poor...one reason why the GRAMEEN BANK in bangladesh whcih lends small amounts only to the dirt poor has a 100% PAY BACK return in that Loan dept...unlike the 40% return in the Loans dept that gives out multi million loans to the filthy rich...

Would you say then, that if he gains a great reward for his honesty that his honesty is then diminished? (Are all successfull people dishonest? No! As people would not buy their products or services if they didnt work?) All successfull people would be diminished and progress would be no more in the persuit for financial stability, honest labour for a honest living for a honest man with principals and ethics should prosper, maybe his story I do not know, maybe his life is full of woe, maybe the troubles have been greater then the life I know, but at the moment that he assumed love, it should be known and may that story be the story for all men to know, and help to create a world of greater honesty, only hopefully then can his creative being that has bought him his good fortune be replenished. It is a sad fact to judge or persecute a mans qualities on his economics, we have systems in place to help each other prosper and also the same systems to keep each other down in this world an instance of prosperity brings jealousy and the evil out in human kind but it should be a celebration a point of love to help all over come their problems however big and small. It is tyranny and hate that keeps these two(= love and prosperity) down the illusion is money when money is just a by product of people choosing who's lives are replenished and who's are diminished. Man systems are systems that are made on purpose to be used out of other mens controls, to do and to chose to give as and when they feel is plenty and to do and chose to feel when enough is done. Gods systems are plenty gods systems are an abode when you reach that system, for the man stuck in the illusion, time=truth has struck the illusion, and now Dear man you are old.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM