• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Building Bridges Between Sikh Communities

Aug 13, 2004
US
MrSikhNet said:
We all hear about different Sikh groups or "Jathas" who have certain practices which are different. As with my previous example (American Sikhs and Yoga), some can be quick to judge them. It is not that you have to agree with or practice in the same way. It is just that if Sikhs are to be more united we have to learn to be more accepting and open hearted. Why would any young person want to stay a Sikh if at every turn they are judged, criticized, and all they see are people fighting about every little thing. It's no wonder many chose not to stay a Sikh.

http://www.mrsikhnet.com/uploaded_images/IMG_4120-768894.jpgThe next time you come across someone and a critical thought comes to mind, be aware of it. Recognize that you are thinking like that. Try to shift how you are thinking and attempt to give the benefit of the doubt. No one has the right to judge others. We are all on a path trying to be better people, and no one is perfect. We all make mistakes and learn through the hands of time.

I have found in my personal life that when I have negative thoughts towards other people, it is generally a reflection of anger or irritation IN ME and not really the other person. I see the world based on how I feel and what is going on in my life. I remember coming to this conclusion and it was like a lightning bolt hit me. I was like "WOW! so this is why I feel that way and why other people do weird things". This awareness gave me even more understanding and acceptance towards others. So, when I see someone who shouts with anger "Go back to Iraq you $%$#" or does something hurtful, I can be more understanding and compassionate rather than reacting.

Gurmastak Singh further writes in his blog "So, as you can see I am just starting my journey and have a lot to learn. My hope is to travel more and share the torch of love and acceptance. To encourage more people to build bridges so that we can be more unified as a Sikh Panth. You CAN help make a change!

So, are you ready to take the torch and pass it on? Change starts with you."

Are you ready?

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
Prabhjot Kaur Ji Satsriakal, :)

I have found that the american sikhs are incredibly warm and open and like to get on with most people, However, and there is always an however, sikhi is about more than just yogi tea and winter solctices, for instance I write a lot of poetry but at times my poetry has not been allowed on a certain forum because it is not against sikhi it is just not to their personal liking and i think its pretty cheeky to lecture others on unification if you abuse your authority and have a pick and mix attitude to what aspect of sikhi you want the cybercommunity to see. And this is a serious problem for me I congratulate the 3ho sikhs for their hard work in south america for taking the gurus message their but I do not like it if you judge those parts of sikhi you dont deem acceptable and then suppress a persons right to free speech. I think there is room for learning for all of us including me.

Inderjit Singh Dhillon :up:

Aug 13, 2004
US
You are right Virji, there is always room for improvement, for all of us. I would encourage to post your comments on Gurumastak Singh's blog.

Thank you,

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
Prabjyot Kaur said:
You are right Virji, there is always room for improvement, for all of us. I would encourage to post your comments on Gurumastak Singh's blog.

Thank you,

Satsriakal Prabhjot Kaur Ji,

I have never visited the blog but I have sent emails and contacted the support for the website I am referring to and have always been faced with a deafening silence, I visit the forum concerned now and again but believe that unless you are prepared to listen to people then they will never engage and noone listened to me and therefore I am unwilling to engage not because of my pride but because I do not believe you should continuously put yourself in a position to be abused. I have noticed a current them in many circle at present where people are trying to focus on upliftment and knowledge in sikhi which I am all for and think will do wonders for sikhi but lets not forsaken our history lets learn something from that aswell.

Anyway lets think happy thoughts we are on sikhphilosophy network which is the best ever!!! because we have emoticons:wah: :star: :) :p ;)

Love,

Indy

Aug 13, 2004
US
ISDhillon said:
I have never visited the blog but I have sent emails and contacted the support for the website I am referring to and have always been faced with a deafening silence
Anyway lets think happy thoughts we are on sikhphilosophy network which is the best ever!!! because we have emoticons:wah: :star: :) :p ;)

Love,

Indy

Thank you virji for sharing your experience with Sikhnet.

:) :p :up:

Dec 8, 2005
Dear brother

SSAKAL

I fully agree with brother IS dhillion.

I guess we have a to make more room for freedom to express one self.

The space should encourage the growth of sikh philosophy as seen by different sikhs from different walks of life . It is not possible that we will have the same interpretation .

Diversity of thought will help us seeking the true meaning of " SIKH " that is a learner from the journey called life.

Sikhism could mean different to a farmer , a soldier ,a scientist , and to Canadian , American, British , Indian Australian , Italian , French , Pakistani sikh depending on there state of evolution and enviornment.

Let us pick up a point and have views from these different sikhs on different issues facing mankind and life in general ; which is the main theme of of our everlasting guru " The Guru Granth Sahib ".

The topics could also include any contemproary one facing us such as AIDS , energy crisis , evolution etc etc. let us encourage modern contemporary SIKH thinking.

The guru ji gave us lot of liberty in our life

ssakal

luv

hps62:wah: :) :D :star: :whisling:

Sep 11, 2005
"How to Publish anything Including NonSense Stuff on Forums , Without being Censored out" ...

any one willing to know ...........:)

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
devinesanative said:
"How to Publish anything Including NonSense Stuff on Forums , Without being Censored out" ...

any one willing to know ...........:)

would you care to elaborate devinesanitive ji

thanks

indy:confused:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM