• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Birmingham Sikh Nursery Is A Little School Of Calm

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Birmingham Sikh nursery is a little school of calm

Birmingham Post - Life & Leisure - Post Features - Birmingham Sikh nursery is a little school of calm

As well as the nursery, it runs a complementary school for more than 300 Sikh children, funds a lectureship in Sikh studies with Birmingham University, part-funds postdoctoral research in religion, civic society and the United Nations and has helped to develop the syllabus for religious education in Birmingham. The trust also supports a college in Kericho, Kenya, and schools in Pakistan and India. Its next project is to set up the first year of a primary school next door to the nursery.

These initiatives are only possible because of the willingness of the community to give of their time and talents. The word “nishkam” which runs through means the impulse to serve selflessly.

“The love and devotion which the volunteers poured into developing the nursery is priceless,” says Ranjit Singh Dhanda, who helped to oversee the half million pound nursery development . “Whether it was to renovate the space, or imagine how it would be run, people have been generous with their time and enthusiasm.”

Balwinder Kaur Sembi, who is responsible for the baby room, and has one child in the nursery, Harpreet, aged two, was one of the original dreamers for the nursery.

“The plans for the building of the nursery were underway,” she says, “but we needed to think about what sort of a nursery we wanted to have. So about two years ago, the mums of the gurudwara got together and formed a playgroup. We asked ourselves – what would our dream nursery be? What would be our ideal?”

They wanted the nursery to feel like a home. They wanted the children to feel loved and cared for. They wanted simple practices like meditation, circle time and the sharing out of food to make a difference to children’s all round development.

“We developed these routines in the playgroup and then we took them into the nursery,” says Balwinder.

“It’s fantastic that the Early Years Foundation Stage, which puts so much focus on how children develop, really complements our vision. At playgroup we also learnt a lot from the elders who would come in. They would pass on their knowledge, things like putting a touch of ginger into the food to help with runny noses. There was ginger in that pizza today.”

Attachments

• birmingham_sikh_nursery.jpg
    birmingham_sikh_nursery.jpg
    12.4 KB · Reads: 585

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Birmingham Sikh nursery is a little school of calm

Birmingham Post - Life & Leisure - Post Features - Birmingham Sikh nursery is a little school of calm

As well as the nursery, it runs a complementary school for more than 300 Sikh children, funds a lectureship in Sikh studies with Birmingham University, part-funds postdoctoral research in religion, civic society and the United Nations and has helped to develop the syllabus for religious education in Birmingham. The trust also supports a college in Kericho, Kenya, and schools in Pakistan and India. Its next project is to set up the first year of a primary school next door to the nursery.

These initiatives are only possible because of the willingness of the community to give of their time and talents. The word “nishkam” which runs through means the impulse to serve selflessly.

“The love and devotion which the volunteers poured into developing the nursery is priceless,” says Ranjit Singh Dhanda, who helped to oversee the half million pound nursery development . “Whether it was to renovate the space, or imagine how it would be run, people have been generous with their time and enthusiasm.”

Balwinder Kaur Sembi, who is responsible for the baby room, and has one child in the nursery, Harpreet, aged two, was one of the original dreamers for the nursery.

“The plans for the building of the nursery were underway,” she says, “but we needed to think about what sort of a nursery we wanted to have. So about two years ago, the mums of the gurudwara got together and formed a playgroup. We asked ourselves – what would our dream nursery be? What would be our ideal?”

They wanted the nursery to feel like a home. They wanted the children to feel loved and cared for. They wanted simple practices like meditation, circle time and the sharing out of food to make a difference to children’s all round development.

“We developed these routines in the playgroup and then we took them into the nursery,” says Balwinder.

“It’s fantastic that the Early Years Foundation Stage, which puts so much focus on how children develop, really complements our vision. At playgroup we also learnt a lot from the elders who would come in. They would pass on their knowledge, things like putting a touch of ginger into the food to help with runny noses. There was ginger in that pizza today.”

On paper this nursery is brilliant.:advocate:

In reality it is run by biggots.:inca:

I say this from experience.

I know some Sikhs who were Monay, or trimmed beards and ones who ate meat had real problems with these guys. When they went to enrol their kids, they got a lot of diatribe about why they had cut hair, or trimmed beards or ate meat.:confused:

Thanks for the article, but these guys are total Bigots at the GNNSJ. I have no time for them. :(

Sorry.:(

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

Actuallly -- many times I am simply posting news and information that may be of interested to SPN members. I do not take a stand on articles like this.

I will confess, that I myself had some suspicions, based on the picture that came with the article.

So your contribution from your experience rounds out our understanding of the article. And that is how this forum is supposed to work.

:happykaur:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji

Actuallly -- many times I am simply posting news and information that may be of interested to SPN members. I do not take a stand on articles like this.

I will confess, that I myself had some suspicions, based on the picture that came with the article.

So your contribution from your experience rounds out our understanding of the article. And that is how this forum is supposed to work.

:happykaur:

You did the right thing.

WE just post here, and ask for peoples reactions.

There is no way people can know about every Sikh group.

I am sure GnSSJ people will disagree with me.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM