• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Bikram Lamba Who Wants Kirpan Banned In Canada Turns Out To Be An Imposter, Arrested In India

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
NRI held for duping firm
Tribune News Service

SAS NAGAR, Nov 15 — Five days after he landed in India on a sponsored trip to work out the details of a project on marketing research for an immigration company, Dr Raja Bikram Pal Lamba is cooling his heels in police custody.

The 58-year-old non-resident Indian from Canada, driven by his weakness to impress high-profile people in society had planned to make it big by duping the proprietors of an immigration company, Worldwide Immigration Consul-tancy Services. He made his sponsors pay around Rs 5 lakh for his hospitality before his dream was shattered.

Described as a high-profile impostor by the police, his profile was enough to impress anyone. A doctorate in English, Dr Lamba, who migrated to Canada last year, convinced the immigration company to design their project for marketing at their resort at Karoran village near here.

Everything was going smooth but a slight mistake by the impostor landed him in police custody. Col B.S. Sandhu, proprietor of the immigration company, said Dr Lamba had said he was a 1964 batch bureaucrat who sought premature retirement. His profile included his stint in the Prime Minister’s Office and as Chief Secretary of Madhya Pradesh. Claiming his connection with chief secretaries of different provinces, he had claimed to knowing a couple of senior bureaucrats of Punjab.

After his claimed visit to a Punjab bureaucrat yesterday, who had gone abroad, Col Sandhu got suspicious and started making queries. All five days after he landed in India on November 10, he stayed in full luxury paid for by his sponsors. His visiting card read President and CEO of Toronto Consultancy Group.

Questioning by the police revealed another facet of Dr Lamba’s life. After doing his Masters in English in 1964, he worked as lecturer in DAV College here before moving to Kurukshetra Regional College. From 1969 to 1982, he remained at Desh Bandhu College, Delhi. He worked with different companies from 1983 to 1999 before moving to Canada.

On the basis of a complaint lodged by Mr Devinder Singh Sandhu of the immigration company, the police has registered a case under Sections 170, 406 and 420 of the IPC. He was today remanded in one-day police custody by the Duty Magistrate, Kharar.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bikram Lamba who wants Kirpan banned in Canada Turns out to be an Imposter, arrested in India
lol
His personal life should not determine the strength of his arguments (if any) for getting the Kirpan banned.

let's keep that in mind.

Edit: ok it turns out he DOES have arguments. (I have not been keeping up with this whole issue)
He wants the kirpan banned because it can potentially be very dangerous, especially in the hands of militant/extremist/talibinistic Sikhs. [And they carry it with them all the time.]

I condemn violence. As a matter of fact, I think the kirpan should be banned. It has no place in this country,” said Lamba, a Sikh, referring to an attack against the president of a Sikh temple last Friday.
Last week, a crowd of protesters punched and stabbed the 53-year-old Brampton man. Several witnesses recalled that at least two other men from the crowd had brandished their kirpans.
Lamba, ombudsman for National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada, denied the incident had tarnished the image of the Sikh community in the country. He criticized the mob that had engaged in violence that day saying “they behaved like the Taliban.”
Source

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
THREE Lambas....ONE Lamba Hancho in India..GS Lamba of sant Sipahi.....main complainant in case against Prof darshan Singh and gets him excommunicated...suppots the DG to the HILT...

SECOND LAMBA..RS Lamba..son of GS lamba..fights to wear Kirpan Gatra in Holland..loses case..still fighting...

THIRD LAMBA...in canada..wants Kirpan banned..

FOURTH LAMBA...is there a Fourth Lamba ?? I wonder...:blinkingkaur::shockedmunda:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
THREE Lambas....ONE Lamba Hancho in India..GS Lamba of sant Sipahi.....main complainant in case against Prof darshan Singh and gets him excommunicated...suppots the DG to the HILT...

SECOND LAMBA..RS Lamba..son of GS lamba..fights to wear Kirpan Gatra in Holland..loses case..still fighting...

THIRD LAMBA...in canada..wants Kirpan banned..

FOURTH LAMBA...is there a Fourth Lamba ?? I wonder...:blinkingkaur::shockedmunda:

The one "L" lama, he's a priest.
The two "LL" llama, he's a beast.
And I will bet my silk pajama
That there is no 3"LLL" lllama.

But there are 3, maybe 4 lambas,

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Well, he certainly is an enterprising gentleman, isn't he?

There are many such gems who pose as most gentleman. I have noticed that this is a quality of Punjab residents, whether sikh or punjabi muslims, to pose as very affable and nice but keep working their way underneath.
I hope you know about Nawaz sharif who enjoyed our hospitality while their army was planning attack on us in 1999.
I have noticed this quality on many occasions. I am taking risk of stereotyping and discriminatory writing but it needs scrutiny. Historical study may help.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
See the article that starts this thread, a part quoted below.

NRI held for duping firm
Tribune News Service

SAS NAGAR, Nov 15 — Five days after he landed in India on a sponsored trip to work out the details of a project on marketing research for an immigration company, Dr Raja Bikram Pal Lamba is cooling his heels in police custody.

On the basis of a complaint lodged by Mr Devinder Singh Sandhu of the immigration company, the police has registered a case under Sections 170, 406 and 420 of the IPC. He was today remanded in one-day police custody by the Duty Magistrate, Kharar.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

Are there any follow-ups on this story? I have been checking and cannot find anything. The original story, which the Tribune link points to, is dated 2000.

Is this the same person who is running for Governor General in Canada?

Dr. Bikram Lamba is the first one to stand for the post of Governor General from the South Asian Community!!!

It seems to me important to know whether charges from 2000 were cleared or whether they were fraudulent to begin with?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
See the article that starts this thread, a part quoted below.

Are there any follow-ups on this story? I have been checking and cannot find anything. The original story, which the Tribune link points to, is dated 2000.

Is this the same person who is running for Governor General in Canada?

Dr. Bikram Lamba is the first one to stand for the post of Governor General from the South Asian Community!!!

It seems to me important to know whether charges from 2000 were cleared or whether they were fraudulent to begin with?

The picture with the newstory is the same one, so I would presume they are the same. Of course, it is really just a ceremonial position, although pretty high profile.

Here's a short Wikipedia description:

The Governor General of Canada (French [masculine]: Gouverneur général du Canada, or [feminine]: Gouverneure générale du Canada) is the federal viceregal representative of the Canadian monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, who is equally shared with 15 other sovereign nations in a form of personal union, but resides predominantly in her oldest realm, the United Kingdom. On the adviceCanadian prime minister only,<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-0">[1]</sup> the Queen appoints the governor general to carry out most of her constitutional and ceremonial duties for an unfixed period of time — known as serving At Her Majesty's pleasure — though five years is the normal convention, as is a rotation between anglophone and francophone incumbents. Once in office, these individuals maintain direct contact with the Queen, wherever she may be at the time.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-1">[2]</sup>
of her
The current one is from Haiti.

Micha%C3%ABlle_Jean_1_11072007.jpg

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM