• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

"Bend It Like Beckham" - Changing Gender Roles In Britain?

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
hello,

with great interest I read your posts and I´m convinced that your answers may help me.

In Germany I have to write a research paper on the following topic :

"Bend it like Beckham" - an interpretation of the film with reference to the conflicts of a Sikh cultural background and adolescence in the light of changing gender roles in British society"

This is a film review :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend_it_like_Beckham

So my question is :
What are the "cultural conflicts" young sikh girls have to face?

In the film the protagonist emancipates herself and emerges from the traditional gender role.

How is it to be torn between two cultures/ religions ?
-western and indian-

I am really interested in this religion and I would really appreciate your objective advice and opinions :

Personally, I was in the same situation : I am christian and I lived in an islam state..so I was torn either.

Thanks for any further information and your help.:)

best regards,
sema

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
wjkk
wjkf

sema ji read the article below it will give you some information
about sikhs

The majority of Sikhs are from the province of Punjab in India, but not all the residents of Punjab are Sikhs. Punjab, which means the land of five rivers, is located in northeast India. Although the Sikhs are a small minority group within India (the Sikh population makes up less than two percent of the country's inhabitants), they contribute significantly to the nation's agricultural production. Punjab is called the "breadbasket" of India because its fertile valleys and easy access to water supplies are ideal for farming. Generations of hard work by the people have made it one of the wealthiest Indian provinces.

The Sikh religion originated with Guru Nanak, in c.1500 AD. (Guru denotes "a holy man who dispels ignorance or darkness, called Gu, and proclaims enlightenment, called Ru.") Guru Nanak taught people to believe in one supreme God and preached that getting married, raising a family and working hard were the foundations of a religious life. The definition of the word Sikh means "disciple." Sikhs believe in the teachings of the Ten Gurus, which are enshrined in the Sikh holy book, called the "Guru Granth Sahib." This book is an important component of Sikh celebrations and functions. The “Guru Granth Sahib” contains 5894 hymns of the six Gurus and various teachings of Hindu and Muslim saints from India. The culture of the Sikhs is largely affected by their religious beliefs - every important Sikh ceremony is performed in the presence of the Holy Granth.

The last Guru, Gobind Singh, expanded the religion to the brotherhood of the Sikhs. He taught that the Sikhs were to throw off all divisions of caste, colour and creed, and adopt the common surname of "Singh" for men and "Kaur" for women. Gobind Singh also established baptism for the Sikhs, called the Khalsa brotherhood. In this ceremony, a Sikh is baptized and becomes an orthodox Sikh, embodying the five symbols of Sikhism. As brothers of the same family, all Sikhs resemble each other by wearing the five K symbols:
"Kesh" (uncut hair): The hair is a symbol of faith, and keeping long hair confirms a Sikh's belief in the acceptance of God's will, and teaches them humility and acceptance.
"Kangha" (wooden comb): Sikhs use a small wooden comb because it symbolizes cleanliness and serves as a reminder to keep their mind clear of impure thoughts.
"Karra" (steel bracelet): Sikhs wear a steel bracelet on the right wrist, to show their bond to the Guru and among themselves in the brotherhood of Khalsa.
"Kachha" (short breeches): Sikhs wear a pair of shorts that are slightly longer than underwear, which symbolize a high moral character.
"Kirpaan" (blade): Sikhs wear a blade, approximately, 6" - 9", on their bodies to symbolize self-respect and self-defense. It is an insult to refer to this article of Sikh faith as a knife.

Sikh male adults wear a dastar, or turban, to demonstrate their commitment to Sikhism. Turbans made from a piece of material five metres long and one metre wide that is turned clockwise around the head six times. The turban is replaced by a small scarf, a patka, which keeps the hair in place during swimming and sports. (Many young Sikhs wear a patka most of the time.) Learning and mastering the tying of a turban begins when boys are 8 - 10 years old. Turban colour is at the discretion of the wearer with no restrictions or dress codes. Sikh women are also required to cover their heads, usually with a long scarf called a chunni. Sikhs who follow all of these religious requirements are called Amritdharis, or Khalsa. People who observe only some of the teachings are called Sahajdharis. Many Indo-Canadians in Abbotsford today have adopted Canadian customs but still practice the Sikh religion.
but because you are nice

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
thanks for your answer and some basic information about sikhism.
Have you ever heard about the film "bend it like beckham" ?!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
So my question is :
What are the "cultural conflicts" young sikh girls have to face?

In the film the protagonist emancipates herself and emerges from the traditional gender role.

How is it to be torn between two cultures/ religions ?
-western and indian-

as far as your above questions i am advising you to get registered on www.sikhportal.com a site of sikh youths.there are many british sikh girls which will help you regarding your questions

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
I do need your help :)
Just wrote a short text about "Sikhism history". It is just a very brief summary.
I would appreciate your help
when it comes to wrong contexts and linguistic mistakes.
Thanks in advance,
hope you´ll answer quick :)

here we go :
Jessminder and her family are adherents of the Sikh religious community.
The majority of Sikhs trace their roots from the province of Punjab in notheast India and count approximately 80 precent of the Punjab inhabitants..Nevertheless the Sikhs are a religious minority within india representing only two percent of the total population. Indeed, a large number of Sikhs live in Diaspora, particularly in Canada, North America and The United Kingdom.
Sikh means "disciple" and origionated with Guru Nanak in 1500 A.D. It is, therefore, a newly founded religion. It developed in the early 16th to 17th century by a Guruship.
A Guru is neither defined as an expert nor a guide but he is a "perfect messenger of God in whom the light of God shines". Consequently Guru Nanak established the fundamentals of this monotheistic faith and proclaimed it to his successors.
Sikhism is based on 10 Guru Masters having inscribed their values and principales in the "Guru Granth Sahib", the holy Scripture .Not only the Sikh Gurus convey their message through this book but even members of other faiths wrote into this book which consists of 1430 pages.
Critizing the social injustice and distinctions the last living Guru Gobind Singh expanded the religion to the brotherhood of Sikhs and wished to call a male Sikh "Singh" and a female one "Kaur". Litterally this denotes "lion" and "princess". His intention was to brigde the gap between all human beings and to perceive them as equal, regardless of their race, religion gender and nationality.

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
okay thanks for the correction.
I think the text is too bad :-( because the connections between the aspects are yet unclear.
What do you think ??

Sep 11, 2005
Conflicts not only occur to Sikh Girls , but it happens to anyone , anywhere .

Conflicts are caused when one is not open minded and has a 360 degrees perception.

Conflicts are caused When one is not Mentally Independent , When you are Mentally independent , then you obviously believe in Interpendence , and hence no Conflicts .

For that, one should develop strong Common Sense , and can always take and give suggestions , but cannot take or give Advice unless and untill one asks for .

Cultural Conflicts are caused When one is not liberal towards other cultures . One should not forget that whatever cultures this world has , 90% of them are more or less similar and common.

In the East people make chappatis out of Wheat , in the West people make oven baked bread our of wheat , but ultimately both are surviving on Wheat .

Equality4All

SPNer
Jan 6, 2006
Hi,

I’ve seen the movie a while ago; I would suggest that it gives a misunderstanding between traditional values and Sikh religion.

In the movie a British Sikh girl wishes to play football, but her family is against her doing so due traditional values which is unrelated to Sikhism.

What needs to be understood is that Sikhism believes in equality therefore religiously being a girl shouldn’t prevent her to fulfill her ambition.

However traditional practices have caused “cultural conflicts”. I’ve known of families who are very strict on girls especially in working and going out. This can segregate between two cultures.

I would conclude that the struggle is on traditional families in Britian trying to teach children their eastern traditions but the western surrounding has influenced their children which cause conflicts to arise.

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
hello, here I am again :p

could you tell me something about the "social position of women in Sikhism- both in terms of religion and when it comes to reality (problems in family, with traditional norms and the "temptation of eastern wolrd" :)"

hope you get the idea :)

greetings
sema

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Theoratically very good but practically lots of work has to be done as pagan influnece on Sikhs still let them fell reluctant to let female has equal position this is more in rural areas while in cities things are better.

In past there was proeblem of female infanticide and at present female feouticide is there.Sone die of malnutritions while often girl child is avoided as dowery will break the bone of family.

As per code of conduct of Sikhs
1. Person who uses marriage for finaicial gain is apostate(out of faith).
2. who kills girl child also has same punishment.

yet these rules are broken as faith is becoming weak due to polticians taking over the faith related affairs in sgpc.

Sep 11, 2005
Dear Vijay Deep ji

As per my personal observation about Dowry , I think that Dowry was invented to counteract some social evils ...

Think n Think Then Reply to this post...

Just go and Ask them who don't ask for dowry , What is their situation ...

Dear Vijay Deep ji , The whole world is "Bin Pendi Da Lota" .

Either way you sleep in the cot , "Lak te Wich ee Rehnda hai".

Now coming to Women's Status .

What good the women are Doing those who are enjoying Freedom ?

One Question .

If suppose the power be given in the hands of Women , then where would the world head for ?

Think n Think then reply .

Sep 11, 2005
The First Thing will happen is Many Cloth Mills Will Shut Down and many people will become Jobless . And these jobless people will become Pimps . :D

Sema

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
kds1980 said:
wjkk
wjkf

sema ji read the article below it will give you some information
about sikhs

The majority of Sikhs are from the province of Punjab in India, but not all the residents of Punjab are Sikhs. Punjab, which means the land of five rivers, is located in northeast India. Although the Sikhs are a small minority group within India (the Sikh population makes up less than two percent of the country's inhabitants), they contribute significantly to the nation's agricultural production. Punjab is called the "breadbasket" of India because its fertile valleys and easy access to water supplies are ideal for farming. Generations of hard work by the people have made it one of the wealthiest Indian provinces.

The Sikh religion originated with Guru Nanak, in c.1500 AD. (Guru denotes "a holy man who dispels ignorance or darkness, called Gu, and proclaims enlightenment, called Ru.") Guru Nanak taught people to believe in one supreme God and preached that getting married, raising a family and working hard were the foundations of a religious life. The definition of the word Sikh means "disciple." Sikhs believe in the teachings of the Ten Gurus, which are enshrined in the Sikh holy book, called the "Guru Granth Sahib." This book is an important component of Sikh celebrations and functions. The “Guru Granth Sahib” contains 5894 hymns of the six Gurus and various teachings of Hindu and Muslim saints from India. The culture of the Sikhs is largely affected by their religious beliefs - every important Sikh ceremony is performed in the presence of the Holy Granth.

The last Guru, Gobind Singh, expanded the religion to the brotherhood of the Sikhs. He taught that the Sikhs were to throw off all divisions of caste, colour and creed, and adopt the common surname of "Singh" for men and "Kaur" for women. Gobind Singh also established baptism for the Sikhs, called the Khalsa brotherhood. In this ceremony, a Sikh is baptized and becomes an orthodox Sikh, embodying the five symbols of Sikhism. As brothers of the same family, all Sikhs resemble each other by wearing the five K symbols:
"Kesh" (uncut hair): The hair is a symbol of faith, and keeping long hair confirms a Sikh's belief in the acceptance of God's will, and teaches them humility and acceptance.
"Kangha" (wooden comb): Sikhs use a small wooden comb because it symbolizes cleanliness and serves as a reminder to keep their mind clear of impure thoughts.
"Karra" (steel bracelet): Sikhs wear a steel bracelet on the right wrist, to show their bond to the Guru and among themselves in the brotherhood of Khalsa.
"Kachha" (short breeches): Sikhs wear a pair of shorts that are slightly longer than underwear, which symbolize a high moral character.
"Kirpaan" (blade): Sikhs wear a blade, approximately, 6" - 9", on their bodies to symbolize self-respect and self-defense. It is an insult to refer to this article of Sikh faith as a knife.

Sikh male adults wear a dastar, or turban, to demonstrate their commitment to Sikhism. Turbans made from a piece of material five metres long and one metre wide that is turned clockwise around the head six times. The turban is replaced by a small scarf, a patka, which keeps the hair in place during swimming and sports. (Many young Sikhs wear a patka most of the time.) Learning and mastering the tying of a turban begins when boys are 8 - 10 years old. Turban colour is at the discretion of the wearer with no restrictions or dress codes. Sikh women are also required to cover their heads, usually with a long scarf called a chunni. Sikhs who follow all of these religious requirements are called Amritdharis, or Khalsa. People who observe only some of the teachings are called Sahajdharis. Many Indo-Canadians in Abbotsford today have adopted Canadian customs but still practice the Sikh religion.

Can you tell me the source of this article, please ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM