• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Becoming Sikh

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
I'm curious. How does one convert to Sikhism? Is attendance at church (my apologies for the colloquialism, but I am not sure what the name for a Sikh gathering place or holy place of worship) necessary and does one need to grow hair and beard long and don a turban? I ask out of true interest. Your responses and references to my question regarding Sikh & regret has me more than curious. What passages out of the Guru Gurbani would be of help to answering my questions and enlightenment? I am truly interested in knowing more and not just to satisfy curiosity.

Thanks!

Respectfully,
Jesse

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Jesse ji,
A Sikh place of learning is a Gurdwara. I have moved your post to the new to sikhism section and there are many more posts there will answer your questions. Please spend some time looking around at the wealth of information there and at the stories of other people in a similar situation. As per the Sikh rehat maryada, the code of conduct, a Sikh is
[SIZE=-1]The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh[/SIZE]

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/26460-how-do-you-become-a-sikh.html

How do you become a Sikh?

Simply by following the path laid down by the Sikh Gurus; by following Gurbani - the words of the Gurus as written in the Sikh holy Granth called the Guru Granth Sahib. You can find the original text and translations in most popular languages on the web. See the article Gurbani online for links to websites.

Before wearing the Guru's bana or uniform and representing the Guru, you will need to understand the Guru's rules. You can only do this if you learn the Guru's basic rules:

Rule 1: Simran and Sewa: Simran is the reciting of Lord's name; read the Mool mantar; learn it; practise it in your life. Remember God; see Him/Her in everyone and everywhere. Study the Japji sahib step by step; learn one pauri or step each week; take your time learn the words; understand the words; understand the meaning; contemplate the words. Do sewa - volunteer free service in the community or for friends or relations; feel good about doing Simran and Sewa; accept it as part of God's way. Find holy Sikh sangat - Other wise Sikh people who follow the path of the Guru. Share Simran and Sewa with them and attend activities together as much as you can. Only keep their company if they take you towards the Guru - If they don't change the sangat until you find the right company.

Rule 2: Three pillars - Guru Nanak formalised three basic guidelines for Sikhs: Naam Japna (focus of God), Kirat Karni (honest living) and Vand Chakna (sharing with others). Read about these and follow them. Naam Japna and Simran are very similar; Listen to Kirtan; understand the words; do kirtan if you can; join in; say the words; understand the meaning; think about what the Guru is saying. See Kirtan websites to download kirtan or go to article - Listen to kirtan to listen, read and sing the Guru's words. Read about history of the Gurus to understand their ways and how their sacrifices are remembered even today.

Rule 3:
Make life changes - Start subduing the five evils within. We all have these and we need to restrain them - kam (Lust); krodh (Rage or uncontrolled anger); lobh (Greed); moh (Attachment or emotional attachment) and ahankar (ego). Don't left them control you - You should control them. Also, embrace the Five virtues as ordained by the Gurus - Sat (Truth), Santokh (Contentment), Daya (Compassion), Nimrata (Humility) and Pyare (Love). Make concrete changes in your life and in your attitudes taking these guidelines into account.

Rule 4: Prepare to take Amrit: Start wearing some of the 5Ks, wear Bana, and start looking like a Sikh of the Guru. Only do this if you have the thought of the Guru in your heart. Otherwise the physical gear is just a waste.

Rule 5:
Become a Khalsa - Contact a local Gurdwara or another Sikh and arrange to take Khanda-ke-pahul - Guru Gobind Singh's baptism vows.

source: wikisikhi.com

************************************************** ************************************

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublic...iontosikhism2/

The above website contains 125 short questions & answers from the book "Introduction to Sikhism" by Dr. Gobind Singh Mansukhani

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
Thanks. You've given me good information to study and think about. And I will explore deeper into this site to find more answers.

Respectfully,
Jesse

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublic...iontosikhism2/

The above website contains 125 short questions & answers from the book "Introduction to Sikhism" by Dr. Gobind Singh Mansukhani

The link truncated... can you re-post? When I tried it, I received the dreaded 404 Error. :(

Thanks!

Respectfully,
Jesse

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: