• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Baroness Warsi Visits Sikh Holy Shrine

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harmandar Sahib (Golden Temple) was visited by Baroness Warsi, Britain’s first Asian Cabinet Minister.

Her recent trip to India was for talks on interfaith issues, women’s empowerment as well as UK-India trade matters and bilateral issues.

The trip included a visit to Amritsar where she first went to Harmadar Sahib the sacred Sikh Shrine and then went to Jallianwala Bagh. She said: “I am delighted to be here for my first visit to India beginning today. It was a great honour to visit the Golden Temple and to meet with the local Sikh community.”

Baroness Warsi also spent some time at the Langar at the Golden temple with local Sikh women volunteering in the kitchen. After visiting Jallianwala Bagh, she added: “Today has also been a deeply emotional experience, as I laid a wreath at the Jallianwala Bagh.” In the evening Baroness Warsi hosted a reception to launch the new BMI route from Amritsar to London-Heathrow.

The Minister was in New Delhi yesterday (19.09.11) where she called on senior Indian Government Ministers, including Minister for Law and Minority Affairs Salman Khursheed, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik and the Chief Minister of Delhi Shiela Dikshit.

The Minister also spoke about her life at the Jamia Islamia University. She said:

"Britain is a leading light in the way it enables all communities to play their part in our country's economic, social and political success and the British Indian community that is at the forefront of that success. Their contribution is a testament to the country to which they have deep historical and family links.

“I am proud of our shared history and the strong relationship between our two countries. Today I saw at first hand India's rich, diverse and multi-ethnic society.”

http://www.{censored}/news.php?news=9668

Attachments

• top_00223.jpg
    top_00223.jpg
    26.4 KB · Reads: 220

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: