• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Ban Tattoos If Found Hurting A Religious Community

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

guru-nanak-dev-ji-tattoo.jpg

What do you think of the above ??
Are these wrong to have ?
I know that some wll say it's worse to have gurbani imprinted as below-
jap-ji-sahib-path-tattoo-on-back.JPG

I'm not too sure, but it's not something I would do !

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
[

I dread to think what those tattoos are going to look like when the person gets old. I don't like pictures of Gurus (all fakes anyway) to begin with, but the idea of them deformed turns my stomach.

As for the Gurbani, I wonder what good it does on the back. Better where hse can read it.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

guru-nanak-dev-ji-tattoo.jpg

jap-ji-sahib-path-tattoo-on-back.JPG

The HUMAN BODY is actually the REAL "ABODE" of the CREATOR....as Guru Amardass Ji clearly tells us..HARMANDAR HAR SAJJIAH...so the Moolmantar above on a HARMANDAR made by the CREATOR HIMSELF is way more justifiable than on a STONE SLAB outside a STONE BUILDING !!

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
The HUMAN BODY is actually the REAL "ABODE" of the CREATOR....as Guru Amardass Ji clearly tells us..HARMANDAR HAR SAJJIAH...so the Moolmantar above on a HARMANDAR made by the CREATOR HIMSELF is way more justifiable than on a STONE SLAB outside a STONE BUILDING !!

I never thought of it that way.

Still, it isn't just decoration. It needs to be read.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I have no idea what is better or worse. Many have tattoos of a Khanda which has nothing to do with Sikhi. Many wear gold and diamond encrusted Khandas and ੴ around their necks, on their fingers, ears, toes and ankles. Is this better or worse than the walking murals of Sikhi images and Gurbani quotes?

I am not a tattoo guy myself. I meet lots of people daily who love this kind of stuff and many of then are ex convicts. Many women are also getting into it.

Las Vegas is a big market for this, it seems. Even the pious Baptists who come from the South show their naughty side by getting a tattoo of Dolly Parton's you know what.

Is it narcissism or does it have any deeper meaning in Sikhi. I know tattoos have a great spiritual values in many cultures which is a wonderful thing.

What good are the words written on and in the book that would make one a doctor, an accountant, a banker etc. etc. if one does not study the book and practices what has been instructed?

In Sikhi, it is all about Singing, Listening, Understanding and Practicing the Gurbani from -Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru- in our daily lives so the impact is not only in us but it has a seismic effect on all who are near and dear to us and the strangers who would never know our names, our way of life but the smile and the gesture of the deed would be etched in their hearts forever.

Is it that important for the honchos of Sikhi issuing edicts against the tattoos while hiding their own?

No, because there are many other things that the everyday hard working Sikh needs from them in a pragmatic manner not some dogmatic frothing.

But the picture above with the Mool Mantar tattoo intrigued me a bit. It seems the back belongs to a female unless a good Sikh man loves Brazilian waxing. As Mai ji said, someone has to read it and one wonders who does when it is at the back!

I can only think of people at the beaches of St. Tropez in France or at Playa de la Pelada in Tenerife, Spain, where the bare backs are bearably noticed.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tattoos hurt, they are expensive, they risk hepatitis or HIV-AIDS and/or infections, they are permanent unless you can afford laser removal, they look like hell on old skin. For these reasons tattoos keep me in a permanent state of bewilderment.

Having shared my personal perspective, which has nothing to do with religion, because I cannot get past all that other stuff, I see tattoos as a cultural phenomenon that passes in and out of fashion. Right now we are in a tattoo phase.

They are also cultural and generational.

In the west:
  1. Sub-cultures within the western societies make social statements, especially about group-membership (Skinheads for example) with tattoos.
  2. In the west, younger people at all economic levels are more likely to get themselves tattooed; however, middle-aged women have their own mini-trend going (as in "Guess where I have a tattoo!").
  3. Some individuals create the image of living on the edges of society through tattoos (as in "A huge snake is engulfing my entire torso because I am dangerous and live dangerously!").
  4. 30 or 40 years ago, tattoos were more common for people at the bottom of the social and economic ladder. It was something that boasted who you are, where you had been, who had your heart and soul (MOM, Jesus and America, but especially MOM).
  5. Tattoos are no longer marks of social class. Does this mean society has become more democratic? Or does it mean that the wealthy (Paris Hilton) are adopting what their parents considered a symbol of the lower classes to break out traditional social expectations and rebel?
  6. Tattoos have also labeled craft or profession or life-style. They were popular with merchant marines as a sort of travelogue of places visited (Want to see my Moby ...."). Prisoners tattooed themselves (in the US or Siberia).

It appears that elderly Sikhs tattooed themselves with religious symbols. Now the trend is making a full circle. Tattoos are "identifiers" that label who you are and what you value, by culture, religion, generation, subculture, gender, economic class and social class.

We are probably stuck with 'em (Apologies)

Last edited:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
:ikonkaar:

What can we say? Akal Takht have spoken and that is the last word...until they change their collective mind.

To be truthful, I agree that Gurbani ought not to be tattooed for reasons I have given, but this raises a new problem. What about those who already have the tattoos? Must they be removed or kept covered? Or are we to mjust ignore them since it is rumoured that half the jathedars in Sikhdom have them?

Akal Takht has the right and obligation to make religious rulings; however these should not have the force of law in India. In other words, my stance is that Gurbani tattoos are wrong, but Sikhs should have the legal right to be wrong, if they choose.

And let's not get bogged down in rules and minor issues. I told a Muslim a couple days ago that I'm not interested in a religion that tells me how to clean my butt after I poop. I would hate to see Sikhi go in that direction.

And...we have really vital issues facing the Panth now that threaten the very existence of Sikhi as we know it. We need to face up and deal with the big issues and not get so sidetracked into these interesting but ultimately minor issues.

BTW, Guru ji's teachings will not be lost because the world now has access to Sri Guru Granth Sahib. If we fail, someone else will discover the incredible teachings and start teaching it. However, that would mean that we blew our chance. Think about it, please.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

prison for monas! lashes for drunks! maybe we need a religious police

people have forgotten that the spiritual journey of life is one of trying/experimenting and learning and lifting oneself up when mistakes are made with the support of the Sangat around you, who uplift you rather than push you back down into the gutter.

Personally i don't need to have gurbani tattood to me to remind me of god.

Gurbani says:
O Nanak, one who knows his own self, is infinite and incomparable. ||8||
He Himself is All-pervading; He Himself misleads the people.
By Guru's Grace, one comes to understand, that God is contained in all.

full shabad: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=719

in a similar way Jesus said "know thyself"

I only need to look in the mirror to be reminded of the journey of self discovery :)

As SPN Admin Ji said, you can teach people from a young age, with love and compassion, rather than taking people to court etc.

Anyone getting angry, hurt at seeing these tattoos should maybe be thanking God for putting them in that life situation and Highlighting the 5 thieves that exist within them :)

Anyone wanting a Gurbani Tattoo should look deep within to understand why they want it in the first place...it will tell you a lot about your self and which of the 5 thieves may be pulling some strings :)

Just throwing out some thoughts, nothing more :)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I have the entire SGGS.."ENGRAVED" on my BRAIN (what most would call MEMORISED )...BUT since its INVISIBLE..the High and Mighty Jathedars cant do a thing about it..he ha..and i am not alone..my great grand dads..great grandmothers my parents my siblings..also have the SGGS engraved on their Brains...( But we always KEPT our HEAD (BRAIN) COVERED...so i guess we are exempted...he he

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM