• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Awake At Amrit Vela

Aug 17, 2009
you are right, lets see if i succeed. I hate myself for this but its been years. you wont belive my folks even get upset with me over this. My father blasts 'we have a muslim son, all he does is gets up and eats at 4 am and that too as heavy as roti subzi/meat as if he has to do roza and has to get his sehri'

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
may be all this discussion is leading to this: Live in present tense. there is a Philopher promoting this. See Eckhart Tolle on Google

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
may be all this discussion is leading to this: Live in present tense. there is a Philopher promoting this. See Eckhart Tolle on Google

GURBANI is ACTUALLY about the PRESENT TENSE. Again and again the SGGS proclaims..Gobind Milak kee EH Teri Bareeah.."EH" is the PRESENT TENSE...this HUMAN BIRTH...the most valuable..once ina a Lifetime type of Golden Chance..so many metaphors..stressing THIS TIME..the PRESENT TIME...the NOW !!

But sadly more than a few are constantly ..."looking back....past karmas..past lives..past deeds..blah blah blah...just like a studnet sitting in the Examination Room with exam paper in front of him..instead of answering the questions..constantly day dreams about..why i failed last time..what happeend..was it this..was it that..and then the Examiner says..Times UP...hand over your papers..and our student hands over a BLANK PAPER.....Others dwell upon..the FUTURE..what will i become..will i be a dog or acat or a bull..what will happen to me after i die...and so on..and Once again these too hand in BLANK PAPERS !! Only the very selected FEW..GURMUKHS spend time in the PRESENT..answering the questions..and hand over completed papers !!! That si why its said..GURMUKH janam swaar dargah challiah....!! The GURMUKH ahs doen hsi homework...and travelled ON....

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Amarpal ji,

Please talk about 'Amrit Vela' soon. Or else give me pointer, if this is already talked here.

Best Regards.

Dear Arvind Ji Amrit Vela. AMRIT=Imortal VELA-Moment, time

Amrit vela sach nau, Vadia vichar.

A Mind that remains attached to to truth is imortal while its attached to it.
In my opinion in light of my understanding amrit vela is not a particular time. I do not believe that God listens to prayers offered at a particular time as a matter of fact no recitations or prayers are listened by God

SGGS: Jagat Bhikari firat hai, Sub ko Data Ram. Kaho Nanak Mun Simir Teh, Puran Hove Kaam.

As the word runs like a beggar towards Ram uselessly. Says Nanak comprenend Ram with your mind as this is the purpose of Ram and Mind. Nothing ellse.

Once again - The entire shabad please so we can place the tuk into context. Next time I will delete the post. Thanks. Narayanjot Kaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jagat Bhikari firat hai, Sub ko Data Ram. Kaho Nanak Mun Simir Teh, Puran Hove Kaam.

As the word runs like a beggar towards Ram uselessly. Says Nanak comprenend Ram with your mind as this is the purpose of Ram and Mind. Nothing ellse.

eropa ji

Please explain your translation of the tuk above. I have a somewhat different meaning for these verses. Would you put your vichaar into the context of the complete shabad? This comes from the salokas of Guru Teg Bahadur.

Last edited by a moderator:

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
GURBANI is ACTUALLY about the PRESENT TENSE.
..just like a studnet sitting in the Examination Room with exam paper in front of him..instead of answering the questions..constantly day dreams about..why i failed last time..what happeend..was it this..was it that..and then the Examiner says..Times UP...hand over your papers..and our student hands over a BLANK PAPER.....Others dwell upon..the FUTURE..what will i become..will i be a dog or acat or a bull..what will happen to me after i die...and so on..and Once again these too hand in BLANK PAPERS !! Only the very selected FEW..GURMUKHS spend time in the PRESENT..answering the questions..and hand over completed papers !!! That si why its said..GURMUKH janam swaar dargah challiah....!! The GURMUKH ahs doen hsi homework...and travelled ON....

VERY VERY WELL said. But it is difficult to set your mind to "present" ONLY.
If we keep our present well, our past can not be bad and our future is surely going to be good.
i do the mistake everyday.

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Following are the extracts on the same topic which was intiated by Das on the forum some times back:-

The exact meaning of the word “Amrit Vela” as per Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in the ‘Mahan Kosh’, the two literal meanings are as below:-

AimRq vylw :- iek sMgXw , ArQ
1) rwq dy ipCly ihsy dIAW phu Putn qYM pihlI cwr GiVAW
2) mok dwiek vylw, mukiq vylw
Now, if we take the first literal meaning, than as per the time formula below
1 Day = 8 Pehar and 1 Pehar = 7.5 garhi
This in turns says 1 garhi = 24 minutes
And , hence the “Amrit Vela” should be 24x4 garhi = around 1.6 hrs. before sunrise.

Now, the time of sunrise at any place in the world varies throughout the year, resulting in varying time for the “Amrit Vela”. Moreover, if say in I am enjoying the Amrit vela in the early morning than it does not hold good for say the whole of American Pensula. Than what about those places on earth where no sun rise occurs due to some local whether conditions or say at north / south pole where for 6 months its day and the next six month its night, what shall be their “Amrit Vela” ?

Now, if we go for the second meaning given as above, “Amrit vela” is “Mukat Vela” or the time when you all pressure on your mind and soul cease and exit , one becomes easily united with the Almighty. This can occur any time in day or night depending upon the mental and the meditational level of the individuals. So, this meaning says it can occur any moment.

As my mind goes, this meaning seam to be more appropriate if we judge it as par with SGGS jee’s teachings.

I will be highly obliged, if the learned forum SPN members can put some light on the subject.

Reply from Giani Jarnail Singh Arshi :-

Its a very common mistake to just stick to customary, traditional, accepted...etc types of Literal Meanings of GURBANI.

GURBANI breaks all "barriers"...traditional thoughts, limits, traditions etc and strikes out into a Brand NEW direction of UNIVERSALITY. For ALL TIME and SEASONS.
Although various words have been used in Gurbani we cannot simply accept their traditional meanings...GURBANI has its OWN INDEPENDENT interpretation.

In this way, the SECOND Meaning of Amrit-Vela has a more Gurbani Raang, coloured meaning...

We must remember Guru Nanak Ji TOTALLY REJECTED all traditions/customs like Janeau, sihnaan at teeraths, praying like Robots or parrots...RITUALISM in all its forms and manners...castes, food taboos, bad days, good days, shubh/ashubh/snagrands and pooranmashis, good luck/bad luck etc types of superstitions/vehams/bharams, special times/not special/bad times etc etc and the traditionally accepted meaning of "amrit vela" being RESTRICTED to just a few hours of early morning fits into these rejected terms.

A Daily ROUTINE of Nitnem/bath/reading gurbani/vichaar of mukhvaak/contmeplation/meditation/attendace in Sangat in Gurdwara/listening to Kirtan/Katha etc are ESSENTIAL to have a DISCIPLINE of REHAT...the REHAT strengthens the BODY to ACCEPT the NAAM AMRIT which is essentially for the MANN !! its FOOD and needed to keep the Mann strong and healthy...BUT restricting all this to a special time and ritualizing it all defeats the purpose Guru Ji intended us to progress in...to be CONNECTED with the Creator ALL the TIME, and not "switch off" when the sun rises

I hope these extracts will help us to understand the meanings better.
Regards.

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Following are the extracts on the same topic which was intiated by Das on the forumn some times back :-

The exact meaning of the word “Amrit Vela” as per Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in the ‘Mahan Kosh’, the two literal meanings are as below:-ffice:eek:ffice" />
AimRq vylw :- iek sMgXw , ArQ
1) rwq dy ipCly ihsy dIAW phu Putn qYM pihlI cwr GiVAW
2) mok dwiek vylw, mukiq vylw
Now, if we take the first literal meaning, than as per the time formula below
1 Day = 8 Pehar and 1 Pehar = 7.5 garhi
This in turns says 1 garhi = 24 minutes
And , hence the “Amrit Vela” should be 24x4 garhi = around 1.6 hrs. before sunrise.

Now, the time of sunrise at any place in the world varies throughout the year, resulting in varying time for the “Amrit Vela”. Moreover, if say in ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region>India</st1:country-region> I am enjoying the Amrit vela in the early morning than it does not hold good for say the whole of American Pensula. Than what about those places on earth where no sun rise occurs due to some local whether conditions or say at north / south pole where for 6 months its day and the next six month its night, what shall be their “Amrit Vela” ?

Now, if we go for the second meaning given as above, “Amrit vela” is “Mukat Vela” or the time when you all pressure on your mind and soul cease and exit , one becomes easily united with the Almighty. This can occur any time in day or night depending upon the mental and the meditational level of the individuals. So, this meaning says it can occur any moment.

As my mind goes, this meaning seam to be more appropriate if we judge it as par with SGGS jee’s teachings.

I will be highly obliged, if the learned forum SPN members can put some light on the subject.

Reply from Giani Jarnail Singh Arshi :-

Its a very common mistake to just stick to customary, traditional, accepted...etc types of Literal Meanings of GURBANI.

GURBANI breaks all "barriers"...traditional thoughts, limits, traditions etc and strikes out into a Brand NEW direction of UNIVERSALITY. For ALL TIME and SEASONS.
Although various words have been used in Gurbani we cannot simply accept their traditional meanings...GURBANI has its OWN INDEPENDENT interpretation.

In this way, the SECOND Meaning of Amrit-Vela has a more Gurbani Raang, coloured meaning...

We must remember Guru Nanak Ji TOTALLY REJECTED all traditions/customs like Janeau, sihnaan at teeraths, praying like Robots or parrots...RITUALISM in all its forms and manners...castes, food taboos, bad days, good days, shubh/ashubh/snagrands and pooranmashis, good luck/bad luck etc types of superstitions/vehams/bharams, special times/not special/bad times etc etc and the traditionally accepted meaning of "amrit vela" being RESTRICTED to just a few hours of early morning fits into these rejected terms.

A Daily ROUTINE of Nitnem/bath/reading gurbani/vichaar of mukhvaak/contmeplation/meditation/attendace in Sangat in Gurdwara/listening to Kirtan/Katha etc are ESSENTIAL to have a DISCIPLINE of REHAT...the REHAT strengthens the BODY to ACCEPT the NAAM AMRIT which is essentially for the MANN !! its FOOD and needed to keep the Mann strong and healthy...BUT restricting all this to a special time and ritualizing it all defeats the purpose Guru Ji intended us to progress in...to be CONNECTED with the Creator ALL the TIME, and not "switch off" when the sun rises

I hope these extracts will help us to understand the meanings better.
Regards.

:veryhappymunda: VERY well said Hardip Singh Ji.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM