• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Autism

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
People with Autism lack a sense of others. They have deficiencies in seeing themselves in others, in fact they deficiencies in seeing themselves in their self. They tend to have thin personal boundaries.

Do you think that the lack of others contributes to a sense of oneness?

Does not seeing yourself in others free you to see the Guru in them?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
People with Autism lack a sense of others. They have deficiencies in seeing themselves in others, in fact they deficiencies in seeing themselves in their self. They tend to have thin personal boundaries.

Are you trying to say that a Sikh has to be physically or mentally "deficient", in this case autistic, in order to see the Guru in all?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

Before I can discuss this with you, I have a couple questions. Where do you get your knowledge of autism? Do you know any people with any form of autism?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Do you have autism? if not, then how could you know? Kindly let us all know what these findings are based on, if it is not you, then please link to relevant research before we all waste our time arguing with a potential {censored}

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
Are you trying to say that a Sikh has to be physically or mentally "deficient", in this case autistic, in order to see the Guru in all?
How did you get that from what I wrote? No, I was asking if the path to the Guru is shorter for autistic people, not stating that there is no way to the the Guru from anywhere but from the starting point of autism.

Before I can discuss this with you, I have a couple questions. Where do you get your knowledge of autism?
The internet and personal experience. Specifically The self in autism: An emerging view from neuroimaging for the deficiencies and personal experience and Sense of Self in Autism for the information about the thin boundaries.

Do you know any people with any form of autism?
I know some and I have first hand experience with a form of autism.

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
Do you have autism?
Yes
if not, then how could you know?
You seem to keep arguing that you can't be 100% certain about anything therefore you can't really know it.is that what you believe. But to answer your question, the same why one could know if they do have autism. By paying attention to the symbols they make in reality.
Kindly let us all know what these findings are based on, if it is not you, then please link to relevant research before we all waste our time arguing with a potential {censored}
You seem to be concluding that because it wastes your time arguing with {censored}s that it wastes all parties time for anyone to argue with a {censored}. If what you are trying to do is to be boastful them it is a waste of your time. After all arguing with a fool will make you appear foolish(“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain) to those that don't realize that you can understand something and not believe it.
I know that people believe "If you argue with an idiot, there are two idiots" But arguing with a fool doesn't make you an fool(well it does if you are a Christian,"Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are." - Proverbs 26:4 If you don't have the intelligence to understand something without believing it's true then indeed you take on their foolishness, and people tend to assume others are like themselves which is why they can't tell who is the fool.) But arguing with fool makes them less of a fool. "Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes." - Proverbs 26:5 as it were. and acknowledging the problem is the first step to solving it.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Yes You seem to keep arguing that you can't be 100% certain about anything therefore you can't really know it.is that what you believe. But to answer your question, the same why one could know if they do have autism. By paying attention to the symbols they make in reality.
You seem to be concluding that because it wastes your time arguing with {censored}s that it wastes all parties time for anyone to argue with a {censored}. If what you are trying to do is to be boastful them it is a waste of your time. After all arguing with a fool will make you appear foolish(“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain) to those that don't realize that you can understand something and not believe it.
I know that people believe "If you argue with an idiot, there are two idiots" But arguing with a fool doesn't make you an fool(well it does if you are a Christian,"Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are." - Proverbs 26:4 If you don't have the intelligence to understand something without believing it's true then indeed you take on their foolishness, and people tend to assume others are like themselves which is why they can't tell who is the fool.) But arguing with fool makes them less of a fool. "Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes." - Proverbs 26:5 as it were. and acknowledging the problem is the first step to solving it.

If you have autism then I apologise if I have offended you.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
How did you get that from what I wrote? No, I was asking if the path to the Guru is shorter for autistic people, not stating that there is no way to the the Guru from anywhere but from the starting point of autism.

Yes, you did, again above but let's move on.
As you are autistic, would you be kind enough to share your experiences with us as being near to our Guru?
Thanks.

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, you did, again above but let's move on.
As you are autistic, would you be kind enough to share your experiences with us as being near to our Guru?
Thanks.
To share my experience is why I'm here. By 'our Guru' are you referring to SGGS or Waraguru?
SGGS sits in my room where I see him and am reminded of the that I shouldn't be one sided; he keeps me company and talks to me.
Being near to Waraguru... It's a sense of knowing he is out there and that he loves(wishes us to be happy and capable, to have joy entering out life not just inside it), it's the joy of having a Dialectic discussion with someone wiser than oneself. It's seeing the light not just inside oneself but everywhere one looks. It's like being near the Earth and the pull of gravity, a craving to know more.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Although I have only recently been diagnosed, I showed symptoms of being in the Autism Spectrum from infancy. I never liked being cuddled or held. As a toddler and young child, when taken to the park to play with other children, I'd play with them for a very few minutes, then wander off on my own. People have often gotten annoyed with me because I don't - I can't look them in the eye. Crowds, noise, and chaos make me crazy, so I avoid all of the above. I have always been a social disaster, although I am fine in print. I much prefer spending my time with myself. I live alone and love it, especially after having been married for 22 years. I stay busy and am never bored. I live in a senior community where there are a few social events. I usually attend these because it's a skill a grown person should develop. I am very uncomfortable at these events and usually manage to say something inappropriate, but since I am using my "nice" persona, I am usually accepted. I am not deficient or defective. I suggest you read some of my posts here or visit my Facebook page to learn what a real live, functioning person with autism is really like. (I'll PM you the link if you want it.)
I become very annoyed when people - always without autism - making generalizations. Each of us is an individual, with the strengths and weaknesses of any individuals.

People at the place I'm at on the spectrum are generally intelligent, but not savants, non-sociable loners. I think I have a strong sense of self. I think that is something like an ego, of which I have a large one that I have trouble keeping under control. I have also heard that we have no sense of humor and don't understand jokes. No one has said that ever that about me I know of. This is all personal. I rarely discuss it publicly, just as I don't discuss my sexuality, my spiritual experiences, and my income, unless I have some good reason.

By the way, my profile picture is of Petey The Sloth. In the physical universe, I look pretty much like an overweight, female senior citizen, which is what I am.

I would welcome an intelligent, informed discussion of autism devoid of stereotypes and misinformation. I avoid all of those by relating my own experiences. That is difficult for others to invalidate.

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
People have often gotten annoyed with me because I don't - I can't look them in the eye.
I can't look people in the eye ether. I wonder if it bothers people but don't really desire an answer.
I have always been a social disaster, although I am fine in print. I much prefer spending my time with myself.
i tend to be a disaster when I interact socially.
I live alone and love it,
I tried living alone but didn't like it.
I stay busy and am never bored.
I suffer from depression so it's hard for me to stay busy.
I live in a senior community where there are a few social events. I usually attend these because it's a skill a grown person should develop.
I go to a community center for people with mental heath problems. It's more windowshoping for relationships and to keep myself busy.
but since I am using my "nice" persona, I am usually accepted.
I don't like people enough to wear a mask. If they don't accept the true me then what use are they?
I am not deficient or defective. I suggest you read some of my posts here or visit my Facebook page to learn what a real live, functioning person with autism is really like.
I'm diffidently a low functioning person with autism. I would be lot more functioning but I have panic attacks when I try to drive.
(I'll PM you the link if you want it.)
Please do.
I become very annoyed when people - always without autism - making generalizations.
They do tend to be bad at it, don't they?
Each of us is an individual, with the strengths and weaknesses of any individuals.
People(Fools? Manmukhs?) don't tend to acknowledge that people have strengths and weaknesses, they think that one has to be good at everything or one is bad at everything.

I think I have a strong sense of self. I think that is something like an ego, of which I have a large one that I have trouble keeping under control.
An ego(as referred to by SGGS) is the persona that you can't take off. I wonder if the ego you are talking about is misbehaving by insisting your phenomenal self be something else that it isn't? or are you just trying to teach it to do tricks?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: