• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Movies Ashdoc's Movie Review---Oculus

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
I had seen all that horror movies had to offer---creaking doors , eerie quiets and haunted underground cellars....or so I thought....

But as I sat down to see Oculus I realised that I had discovered a new vein of horror---without the same old tricks that had been done to death....

Of course , the primary rule remains the same---it is the dark and evil forces who win in the end....

This time round , it's a mirror that's been haunted since ages---and it has ruined generations of families long before....

And a determined young woman wants to prove that it's haunted and destroy it---for it will clear her father of the guilt of killing his wife and will clear her brother of the guilt of killing his father if it can be proved that the mirror possessed them and caused the killings.....

To prove her convictions she brings to aid the most modern technology in the form of computers and cameras and whatnot....

But why does she have to buy the same mirror at an auction and force her brother to accompany her when she wants to prove the mirror's hauntedness and destroy it , especially when he has been just released from the institution where he has been held since his father's murder ??? That's to give us the instant chills and thrills we want and make the spending of our money worth the while , of course....

Younger brother is reluctant to undergo the experiment of proving the mirror's hauntedness in front of a recording camera as he wants to escape his past , but he is given no choice by his beautiful dominating elder sister.....

So the mirror is set and cameras are recording things as they happen---this in the same house where the murders occurred 10 years ago....

As the elder sister begins to give a running commentary of what happens in the house , so does the horror begin.....

Both siblings are reminded of what happened 10 years ago , and as the movie moves forward we see flashes of what happened on that fateful day.....

And soon events that happened 10 years ago and events that are happening presently begin to intertwine....

It's not clear whether what is being shown happened in the past or is happening now.....

As past events tumble before the siblings' eyes , the events of the past come to life....

And it's a grisly past , with shockers of horror every now and then....

But what about the present ??

The present turns grim too , as day turns into night and light turns into darkness and the evil forces come to life....

As it becomes clear that the mirror is still haunted , the audiences realize that brother and sister are playing a very dangerous game indeed....a game that could prove to be their endgame....

So can the siblings prove that the mirror is haunted ??
Can they destroy it so that it's evil spell is finally over ??

Watch the movie for that.....

It was nice to see a strong woman ( played by Karen Gillan ) dominate the movie whereas other horror movies show women only as weak creatures screaming to be saved....

The shocks and chills make your hair stand on end , and the audience was gasping as the shocks of horror came....

Here's wishing you a happily sleepless night after watching this movie....

Verdict---want more of the same ; waiting for part 2...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM