• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are these normal occurrences in our community?

Aug 23, 2022
Hello all,

I had some questions. Basically some issues have occurred with extended relatives and wanted to know if theses are common occurrences throughout sikh community.

issue 1-

My uncle doesn't allow my auntie to talk to her own family at all and their children (my cousins) have no idea who their cousins are from their mum's side. Now I am well aware in our culture women go away to husbands family but do they fully cut-off contact to their own family?

Issue 2-

Another cousin of mine had a love marriage around aged 24 and his wife was about 33. They were originally very happy at start but came extremely close to divorce after only 3 months marriage and all seniors of both sides of family encouraged forced them to have a child as they claimed it would keep them together and make them happy.

Well anyway the child is around 5 yr old and cousin and wife still unhappy, now both parents stuck unfortunately.

The whole point of my question was are these kind of events common in our community e.g. forcing couple to have kid so they don't divorce and look bad on family or not letting wife talk to her own family for whole lifetime but still invite them to major events such as weddings to show off etc.

Thanks

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM