• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anyone Here From BC Canada?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I am in Halifax NS, and regularly attend the Maritime Sikh Society Gurdwara... I'm not sure how things work in BC, but I remember someone telling me that there are different 'kinds' of Gurdwaras there.

I am going to Victoria end of January for a week and would like to visit a Gurdwara while I am out there... but don't know which would be best.

I found listings for two... Punjabi Akali Sikh Temple on Graham St, and the other one was Khalsa Diwan Society on Topaz Ave. Which one would be better for me to go to? Which is most similar to where I go now?

Thanks for any help...

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Further to my above, from what I have found online, Khalsa Diwan Society seems to be the largest one (3000+ members). I know that in Vancouver many of the Gurdwaras are open through the week. Does anyone know if Victoria BC Khalsa Diawn Society on Topaz St is open in the evenings during the week at all?

I am going to be in Victoria between the 27 Jan Sunday (arrive in the evening) and leave the next Sat. So I am only there for the week for a course I am being sent on. I'd like to visit a Gurdwara while there... but can't find any info on whether or not they are open during the week. I found their page on the World Gurdwaras websites and it says 'we'd love to have you come to one of our weekend services' however, that is the same tagline for any of the Gurdwaras I clicked on. I wasn't able to find an actual website for them at all...

Any information will be helpful. Also, Since I am still fairly new to going to the Gurdwara... I noticed, a few things from watching videos from Vancouver Gurdwaras... here in NS, karah prashad is given out at the end of the service, after ardas and the hukam, but on the videos I saw from BC, it looks like people are doing mathatek and going to the left side and kneeling down and getting what looks like karah prashad right away? Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I don't want to go to a brand new Gurdwara and not know what I am doing! !peacesignkaur

Thanks in advance!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I wont have a chance to get to the mainland unfortunately. During those weekdays I will be on course at CFB Esquimalt. I'd likely need a full day to make it to the mainland.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM