• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Anti-Sikh Riots: Victim Accuses Police Of Negative Role

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A victim of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, who lost five family members including her husband, today told a Delhi court that the police was hand in glove with rioters and turned a blind eye to the ongoing massacre.

"Delhi police was with the killer rioters and I have no faith in them," Jagdish Kaur testified before Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.

On being approached several times during the riots, the police post-in-charge not only refused to lodge the report but also asked him not to name the accused including Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, she said.

"The police officer had then told me that the persons being named by you are very powerful and where will you go with the surviving family members?" she said.

Kaur narrated the sequence of events saying "on November 2 and 3, I had gone to the police post in the area but the report was not lodged and the officer said that 'abhi aur log marne hain, ikkathe report likhenge' (many more are yet to die, a collective report will be written)."

"Then, I went to a nearby Gurdwara and from there I went to Punjab with surviving family members on November 3," she said.

The court, which is hearing the case on a daily basis, would record her remaining statement.

Earlier, she had alleged before the court that she had seen the Congress leader provoking a mob to kill Sikhs.

Kaur lost five family members, including her husband, in the riots that followed the assassination of Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.

The court had on May 28 framed charges of murder and spreading enmity between two communities against Kumar in the riots case, saying there are sufficient grounds for presuming that the violence was due to a "well-planned conspiracy" in Delhi Cantonment area.

CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Justice G T Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.

The court began recording of statements of prosecution witnesses in the Delhi Cantonment area case.

In a separate case, the same court had decided to frame charges against the leader and others on July 5 in connection with the killing of six persons at Sultanpuri area in north-west Delhi.

Besides the Congress leader, CBI is seeking prosecution Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash.

news.outlookindia.com | Anti-Sikh Riots: Victim Accuses Police of Negative Role

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: