• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anand Sahib - Pauri 8th

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

With the blessings from ‘The Sat’, I share with you the 8th Pauri of Anand Sahib means to me.

1. bwbw ijsu qU dyih soeI jnu pwvY ] baabaa jis too deh so-ee jan paavai.

Baba (The Sat), whom you give only those people get.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib, addressing ‘The Sat’ has said that only those people get, to whom you give. This is to tell me that it is neither freely available nor can I get it just by my own efforts alone. To whom it is to be given ‘The Sat’ decides.

2. pwvY q so jnu dyih ijs no hoir ikAw krih vycwirAw ] paavai ta so jan deh jis no hor ki-aa karahi vaychaari-aa.

Those only get to whom you give, what the other helpless people do?

My understanding:

This question Guru Sahib has asked ‘The Sat’ on behave of the individuals like me, who have not been graced with this gift. Guru Sahib is asking what the individuals like me should do.

3. ieik Brim BUly iPrih dh idis ieik nwim lwig svwirAw ] ik bharam bhoolay fireh dah dis ik naam laag savaari-aa.

Individual with mistaken understanding keep searching in ten directions, individuals who are with Naam get adorned.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib has made it clear to me that the path of Naam will lead to the destination. There is no place for doubt on this way, there is no need to look elsewhere for it. Naam is my interface with ‘The Sat’.

4. gur prswdI mnu BieAw inrmlu ijnw Bwxw Bwvey ] gur parsaadee man bha-i-aa nirmal jinaa bhaanaa bhaav-ay.

With Gurparsadi (the grace of ‘The Sat’) the mind becomes pure and immaculate for those who follow the will of ‘The Sat’ as a natural course.

My understanding:

There is a great element of learning here. Guru Sahib has made it clear to me that my mind should become Nirmal and this is possible only with Gurparsadi i.e. with the grace of ‘The Sat’.

Now the question arises, what does Nirmal means in real life?

To me, it means that the selfishness that I have learnt in this life, which has made me cruel, I should give up. I should give up my Ahamkara, which has made me rigid and self-centered. My craving for objects of desire should cease; these have diverted my mental energies and made me suffer. I should give up my past memories of events (not knowledge); these keep me pegged to the past and colour my behavior, preventing me to move forward; they deprive me of my freshness and make me stale. In short, Guru Sahib has told me to return to my mental freshness, flexibility and sweetness of my early childhood; it is with Nirmal mind, ‘The Sat’ had sent me into this world. Without loosing this ‘Nirmalness’, I should live my full life in this world. I can enjoy all that this world has to offer me without any sense of attachment or craving with due consideration to ethics, morality and propriety. I can possess any worldly item without myself being possessed by it. I should live the life of the house holder and do all what constitutes my Dharma, without taking any credit for it, dedicating all to ‘The Sat’; after all that is what is meant when we say ‘Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa; Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh’; this understanding should permeate deep into my being – thoughts, speech and actions. This state of mind is Nirmal for me. . This Nirmal state of mind should become my natural self i.e. once I have achieved this Nirmal state, I should not be making any efforts to remain so, I should be naturally so.

It is clear, I can make efforts, but the grace of ‘The Sat’ is needed to attain this state of Nirmalness.

5. khY nwnku ijsu dyih ipAwry soeI jnu pwvey ]8] kahai naanak jis deh pi-aaray so-ee jan paav-ay. ||8||

Says Nanak, to whom the beloved gives, they only get.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib has once again emphasised that Gurparsadi is a must. I must not arrogate to myself the ability to achieve; I can only make efforts. Rest is beyond me; it is with ‘The Sat’.

Wah-e-Guru: What a great teaching from my Guru.

With this I close.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: