• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anand Sahib - Pauri 40

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

This post to you is to share my understanding of the 40th Pauri of Anand Sahib, which is its last Pauri.

1. Andu suxhu vfBwgIho sgl mnorQ pUry]

Listen to the bliss, the fortunate ones; all the intents of the mind are fulfilled.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that the individuals who are able to experience the ‘Ananda’ (bliss) are fortunate. They are fortunate because the path the life made them tread and what they had chosen has made them reach this ultimate stage where they can experience the Ananda i.e. the bliss.

Guru Sahib further adds that all the intents of the mind get fulfilled. As I understand the person who reach that ultimate stage of spirituality and experience the Ananda, is now a divine person. This person has no desires left in her or him. This individual has already achieved the ultimate. The material goods and objects of gratification of senses have no meaning for divinities. They worldly entities to divine person are the same as a doll is to a mature adult. This person has no worldly desires left in her or him. This way all the intents of the mind stand fulfilled.

2. pwrbRhmu pRBu pwieAw auqry sgl ivsUry]

Parbhrama, Prabh is realized; all the separations and sorrows are stripped.

My understanding:

Parbhrama, as per the ancient scripture of the land is Brahman; the ultimate source for all, including Brahma. This is the One who cannot be divided or dissolved. It is ‘The Sat’. The person, who has realized and experienced ‘The Sat’, is totally free from Maya, the very cause of sorrow. This person is stripped of all the sorrows. It is natural because this person now belongs to the other world where the word sorrow does not exist; sorrows are characteristic of the material world.

3. dUK rog sMqwp auqry suxI scI bwxI ]

Pain, disease, sorrows from past leave the individuals on listening to the ‘True Banee’.

My understanding:

The physical pains, and mental sufferings get dissolved and leave the individual who hear the True Banee.

As I understand ‘True Banee is the source of which Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the manifestation. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the ‘Sakaar (with Akaar i.e. form) Banee’ of the ‘Nirakaar’, which is the ‘True Banee’ or ‘True Voice’, or in other words ‘The Source’.

4. sMq swjn Bey srsy pUry gur qy jwxI ]

The saints and the pious get imbued with the essence on knowing from the full Guru.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells the impact of getting to know from the full Guru. As I understand full Guru is not an individual who has mastered the scripture, understands scripture and is able to explain to others the meaning of what is written or said in the scripture; such people I call Shastri; to me they are not full Gurus as they lack personal realization of the ultimate; they only have Shabad Giyan. Full Gurus are the individuals who have attained oneness with ‘The Sat’. Such individual tell based on their actual experience and from the resulting personal wisdom the meaning of the scriptures; such people, if you allow me to use the word from ancient scripture of our land, are Brahmgiyanis; they are full Gurus.

5. suxqy punIq khqy pivqu siqguru rihAw BrpUry ]

Those who are imbued with ‘The Sat’ i.e. the ‘True Guru’ they become pure by listening and speak the pure.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that the individual who has realized ‘The Sat’ will listen to what is without impurity and will speak only that is true (pure).

6. ibnvMiq nwnku gur crx lwgy vwjy Anhd qUry ]40]1]

Prays Nanak, at the feet of the Guru, the un-struck sound is heard.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that with all mental resistance brought to zero and with full faith and unwavering devotion to the Guru (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) one can hear the un-struck sound.

As I understand the term ‘un-struck sound’ i.e. ‘Anhad’ is a metaphor. It means the sound that has no cause. It is another way of referring to ‘The Sat’; ‘The Sat’ alone is without cause; that is why ‘The Sat’ is original, immaculate, spotless, pure and bright.

With this I close my post on this last Pauri of Anand Sahib and also my posts on Anand Sahib.

I acknowledge that the Gurmukhi text and its English Transliteration used in my posts is as available on www.sikhnet.com; I have also read and benefited from the English translation available on this net.

I thank Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa, MD for English translation, Singh Sahib Kulbir Singh Thind, MD for phonetic transliteration and all those who contribute in running www.sikhnet.com for the Sewa they are rendering to Khalsa Panth.

I thank all the organizations and discussion groups who have allowed me to post my understanding to their groups and sites. I thank all those members of the web sites and discussion groups who have read my posts and encouraged me to continue with this Sewa.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Re: Anand Sahib: 40th Pauri: My understanding

Satsriakal to all and Amarpal Singh Ji!

You explained about the fortunate individuals who reached the ultimate stage where they can experience the Ananda, i.e., the bliss.

You were explaining the Guru's Vaak Andu suxhu vfBwgIho sgl mnorQ pUry]

Would you please elaborate further what is meant 'to listen Ananda' as Gurdev is singing here about listening it.

I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India

Dear Balbir Singh Ji,

Life has taught me that just listening to any word is not enough. One has to first understand it and if it is pertaining to life incorporate its essence into ones own being. This way, when the listening process if fully actualised, as I have said above, it becomes an experience. It is such experience in spirituality, which elevates the individual, ultimately to the level of bliss.

'Listening' is the beging of the process the 'Anand' is the ultimate end. It is for this reason I have expressed 'Listening Anand' as 'Experiencing Bliss'. This bliss is a perpetual state of happiness, which exist without any external reason.

Amarpal Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Satsriakal to all and Amarpal Singh JI!

Thanks for your efforts.

You wrote ". . . just listening to any word is not enough. One has to first understand it and if it is pertaining to life incorporate its essence into ones own being."

Understanding is pertaining to mind. How mind can incorporate one's own being by listening NAM on a spiritual path?
Our Gurus have said that mind rather block.

You explained further "This way, when the listening process if fully actualised, as I have said above, it becomes an experience."
Do you want to say that listening is the first stage and Ananda is the second stage?
But in Guru's Vaak Anada is before listening.

My curiosity to know is this. One listens to a word. How is it possible to listen to the bliss?

I feel that Gurdev would have expressed it otherwise if listening to a word and listening to Anada were two different stages.

Please guide me further.

Balbir Singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India

Dear Balbir Singh Ji,

Words are created by we humans; they are worldly creation. The words are insufficient tools to explain the other-wordly experiences. At best these words can give approximate expression for the other-worldly experiences to help individuals to transport themselves from this worldly experiences to experiences in the spiritual world. That is why I do not take the poetic expressions in Shabad too literally. This is reflected in my posts also.

Though, I hold to my understand that I have shared with all the members. Literal meaning is also an understanding and I respect it; it for the individual to chose. No one needs to agree with me.

Amarpal Singh

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Amarpal said:

Listen to the bliss, the fortunate ones; all the intents of the mind are fulfilled.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that the individuals who are able to experience the ‘Ananda’ (bliss) are fortunate. They are fortunate because the path the life made them tread and what they had chosen has made them reach this ultimate stage where they can experience the Ananda i.e. the bliss.

Guru Sahib further adds that all the intents of the mind get fulfilled. As I understand the person who reach that ultimate stage of spirituality and experience the Ananda, is now a divine person. This person has no desires left in her or him. This individual has already achieved the ultimate. The material goods and objects of gratification of senses have no meaning for divinities. They worldly entities to divine person are the same as a doll is to a mature adult. This person has no worldly desires left in her or him. This way all the intents of the mind stand fulfilled.

victorykhalsa2.png

:shock:

How does one attain this stage in their life? if it all possible in this day and age of greed and sorrow?

I know that it was important to meditate and do sewa, but how does one lose desire of material and emotional objects?

Amarpal ji, can you give a few pointers, another quote from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji?

Thanks bro :)

Apr 11, 2007
Not to be detached from it but to be living amongst it, like a householders life is my understanding on it. If god is detached from it all then how can god be apart of it, the existence is in everything the product of god is in all and everything around you one point alone does not make the entire earth alone, the earth looked at in its entirety is called the earth!

Jun 9, 2022
Sorry to say, the elaboration by Amarpal ji, of Shabad " Anaad Suno Vadbhagio ...... " is neither satisfying nor correct and without any experience. This starting word, if u read carefully, is not 'Anand'
but 'Anaad' i.e. reference seems to be to Anhaad Naad. This Anhaad naad is worth listening. It automatically starts vibrating within, when one feels Bliss i.e. Anand.
So Guru ji is asking to attain the state of listening Anahad Naad.
This seems to be correct explanation.

Thanks

Maninder Pal Singh

wajinder

SPNer
Jan 26, 2022
Dear Khalsa Ji,

This post to you is to share my understanding of the 40th Pauri of Anand Sahib, which is its last Pauri.

My understanding:

2. pwrbRhmu pRBu pwieAw auqry sgl ivsUry]

Parbhrama, Prabh is realized; all the separations and sorrows are stripped.

My understanding:

Parbhrama, as per the ancient scripture of the land is Brahman; the ultimate source for all, including Brahma. This is the One who cannot be divided or dissolved. It is ‘The Sat’. The person, who has realized and experienced ‘The Sat’, is totally free from Maya, the very cause of sorrow. This person is stripped of all the sorrows. It is natural because this person now belongs to the other world where the word sorrow does not exist; sorrows are characteristic of the material world.

3. dUK rog sMqwp auqry suxI scI bwxI ]

Pain, disease, sorrows from past leave the individuals on listening to the ‘True Banee’.

My understanding:

The physical pains, and mental sufferings get dissolved and leave the individual who hear the True Banee.

As I understand ‘True Banee is the source of which Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the manifestation. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the ‘Sakaar (with Akaar i.e. form) Banee’ of the ‘Nirakaar’, which is the ‘True Banee’ or ‘True Voice’, or in other words ‘The Source’.

4. sMq swjn Bey srsy pUry gur qy jwxI ]

The saints and the pious get imbued with the essence on knowing from the full Guru.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells the impact of getting to know from the full Guru. As I understand full Guru is not an individual who has mastered the scripture, understands scripture and is able to explain to others the meaning of what is written or said in the scripture; such people I call Shastri; to me they are not full Gurus as they lack personal realization of the ultimate; they only have Shabad Giyan. Full Gurus are the individuals who have attained oneness with ‘The Sat’. Such individual tell based on their actual experience and from the resulting personal wisdom the meaning of the scriptures; such people, if you allow me to use the word from ancient scripture of our land, are Brahmgiyanis; they are full Gurus.

5. suxqy punIq khqy pivqu siqguru rihAw BrpUry ]

Those who are imbued with ‘The Sat’ i.e. the ‘True Guru’ they become pure by listening and speak the pure.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that the individual who has realized ‘The Sat’ will listen to what is without impurity and will speak only that is true (pure).

6. ibnvMiq nwnku gur crx lwgy vwjy Anhd qUry ]40]1]

Prays Nanak, at the feet of the Guru, the un-struck sound is heard.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells that with all mental resistance brought to zero and with full faith and unwavering devotion to the Guru (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) one can hear the un-struck sound.

As I understand the term ‘un-struck sound’ i.e. ‘Anhad’ is a metaphor. It means the sound that has no cause. It is another way of referring to ‘The Sat’; ‘The Sat’ alone is without cause; that is why ‘The Sat’ is original, immaculate, spotless, pure and bright.

With this I close my post on this last Pauri of Anand Sahib and also my posts on Anand Sahib.

I acknowledge that the Gurmukhi text and its English Transliteration used in my posts is as available on www.sikhnet.com; I have also read and benefited from the English translation available on this net.

I thank Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa, MD for English translation, Singh Sahib Kulbir Singh Thind, MD for phonetic transliteration and all those who contribute in running www.sikhnet.com for the Sewa they are rendering to Khalsa Panth.

I thank all the organizations and discussion groups who have allowed me to post my understanding to their groups and sites. I thank all those members of the web sites and discussion groups who have read my posts and encouraged me to continue with this Sewa.

Amarpal Singh

wajinder

SPNer
Jan 26, 2022
sant singh khalsa is from 3HO org and their translations are leaning towards yogi & vedantic thought.
Parbrahm = supreme God, just like Allah is the term used by Arab, in gurbani the term ParBrahm is The Supreme God. prof. sahib singh punjabi translation is far better but unfortunately its not in english.
below is the pretty accurate

ਅਨਦੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀਹੋ ਸਗਲ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਪੂਰੇ ॥
anad sunhu vadbhaageeho sagal manorath pooray.
O most fortunate ones, listen to (this hymn of) spiritual bliss and all your ambitions will be fulfilled.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਉਤਰੇ ਸਗਲ ਵਿਸੂਰੇ ॥
paarbarahm parabh paa-i-aa utray sagal visooray.
Having realized the Supreme God, all (my) worries have vanished.

ਦੂਖ ਰੋਗ ਸੰਤਾਪ ਉਤਰੇ ਸੁਣੀ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥
dookh rog santaap utray sunee sachee banee.
Listening to the True Sermon (i.e. Gurbani); (all) sorrows, diseases and sufferings have ended.
( According to Gurmat & Gurbani – Sorrows/diseases/ here refers to ego, self-conceit and mind's constant cravings for worldly pleasures/desires)

ਸੰਤ ਸਾਜਨ ਭਏ ਸਰਸੇ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਜਾਣੀ ॥
sant saajan bha-ay sarsay pooray gur tay jaanee.
By understanding (the teachings) of the Perfect Guru; friends and God's devotees are in delight.

ਸੁਣਤੇ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਕਹਤੇ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ ॥
suntay puneet kahtay pavit satgur rahi-aa bharpooray.
Those who listen to the utterances (of Gurbani) become purified and devout; (they realize) the Eternal Guru is permeating everywhere.
(According to Gurmat & Gurbani – Satgur here refers to the One Immortal God, Akaal Purakh.)

ਬਿਨਵੰਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣ ਲਾਗੇ ਵਾਜੇ ਅਨਹਦ ਤੂਰੇ ॥40॥1॥
binvant naanak gur charan laagay vaajay anhad tooray. ||40||1||
Nanak requests; those attached to the Guru's feet (i.e. teachings), the unstruck melody of joy resound (in their hearts). ||40||1||

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: