• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Amazing: Cat Can Sense Death !

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20070725%2fcat_deaths_070725

Oscar the nursing home cat can sense death

26/07/2007
His name is Oscar. He's not the friendliest cat. But he has an uncanny knack for predicting within hours when nursing home patients with whom he lives are about to die.

Oscar lives at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Providence, Rhode Island, and is the subject of a fascinating essay in this week's issue of the prestigious medical journal, the New England Journal of Medicine.

What makes Oscar special is his ability to sense when one of the hospice's residents is about to die.

Every day, Oscar makes his rounds among the patients, entering each room and giving each patient a sniff. When he senses that someone is near the end of his or life, he will hop onto their bed and curl up beside them. Within hours, without fail, the patient will die.

Oscar has demonstrated his prognostication skills at least 25 times. He's considered so accurate that nursing home staff will immediately call family members once Oscar has chosen someone, since it usually means they have less than four hours to live.

Dr. David Dosa, a geriatrician from Brown University in Providence, tells Oscar's story, noting that the feline has never been wrong yet.

"His mere presence at the bedside is viewed by physicians and nursing home staff as an almost absolute indicator of impending death," Dosa writes.

Raised at the nursing home since he was a kitten, Oscar is described as aloof -- even, at times, grouchy. But when he is on a death watch, he is as warm as can be. He will nuzzle a dying patient and purr, perhaps trying to offer whatever comfort he can.

"For his work, he is highly regarded by the physicians and staff at Steere House and by the families of the residents whom he serves," Dosa writes.

The staff appreciates Oscar so much, a local hospice agency has even erected a plaque to him that reads: "For his compassionate hospice care, this plaque is awarded to Oscar the Cat."

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I saw this on the news. I really think they are making too big a deal of it. Cats naturally have an intuitive sense, and Oscar just goes to comfort the people that he gets a sense that they're lonely or in their last hours. Even humans get this sense sometimes, no? The media seems to want to turn this into a phenomenon so that people can visit like it's a circus. It's a nursing home, and I think they should be left alone.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
It's a nursing home, and I think they should be left alone.

totally agree with you here

for me such news are just like spirtual reminder in otherwise Mundane life!

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM