• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Advice Needed On Our Teachings

Kuri12

SPNer
Jul 12, 2006
Hello, I am intrested to know, as a Sikh, out views on so-called fortune telling? Is this Waheguru ji's way of communicating or do we not agree?

My mum belives in "Pundits" and says what they have said has come true - but as a Sikh - should we not rely on God? I am looking to get married but pundits have said it may not work depending on stars... should i keep my faith in WaheGuru ji or is this His message??

Very confused...

Jul 10, 2006
Re: Advice needed on our teachings..

Kuri12 said:
Hello, I am intrested to know, as a Sikh, out views on so-called fortune telling? Is this Waheguru ji's way of communicating or do we not agree?

My mum belives in "Pundits" and says what they have said has come true - but as a Sikh - should we not rely on God? I am looking to get married but pundits have said it may not work depending on stars... should i keep my faith in WaheGuru ji or is this His message??

Very confused...

A Sikh doesn't believe in fortune tellers, pundits etc..

Its a hindu concept. You should ask your mum if she really is a Sikh or is she a Hindu.!

Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji..Waheguru..Waheguru..

Kuri12

SPNer
Jul 12, 2006

So if someone said to you "dnt get married to so and so it wont work" you wouldnt belive it...

Jul 10, 2006

Kuri12 said:
So if someone said to you "dnt get married to so and so it wont work" you wouldnt belive it...

Bhenji,

A true Sikh shouldn't need to go to pundits, fortune tellers etc..

Sikh's have been instructed to only belief in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

" Sabh sikhan ko hukam hai, guroo maani-o granth."

Its our final command. By going anywhere else or believing in anything else, you are breaking Guru's command.

A sikh should ask from Waheguru for advice/help.

Thats what in my humble opinion my advice is.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
What about reading a random shabad from sikhitothemax, for example? Could that be a form of divination, proposing a problem or a question and reading the shabad as the Guru's opinion?

Or is that disrespectful?

What about reading a random shabad from sikhitothemax, for example? Could that be a form of divination, proposing a problem or a question and reading the shabad as the Guru's opinion?

As for your question Kuri-12, at the end of the day it is God's will if your marriage works out or not. I guess also it is God's will if you get married!

My personal advice is to go with the flow, don't worry so much about the future (I know it can be hard not to!), rest in the knowledge that what Will be will be and you can only make the most of any situation to the best of your ability.

Ishna.

Last edited:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

Interesting question ?

well I think Sikhs do this all the time and to be precise everyday in Gurdwara by taking Hukam nama which is random selection of Paasage from Gurur Granth Sahib in the Morning .

This kind of practice I also Noticed in Shia Muslim with some of their religious text

well I dont think this should be disrespectful as all the Passages iN guru grath sahib tend to give same whole message so hardly matters what you choose on particular day to read

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM