• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Abraham The Monotheist & Sikhi

Aug 28, 2010
It should be important for any one to consider a fact that there is no other Granth
in the world which is purely based on the WORD GuROO.
This point makes an important consideration for ONE as GOD (SINGULAR) of Wesren Philosophy or as GuR(PLURAL) as envisaged in SGGS.

It is this context which makes the concept of CREATOR in SGGS different from Others.

Prakash.S.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

I feel more and more that there is one ongoing message given to people in times and places that add a layer of uniqueness to the teachings the Beloved gives. The messages apply to a certain type of culture and sometimes it can expand beyond that. For instance, Jesus' peace be upon him, teachings seem very universal. Maybe that's just because I was born and raised in a country where most people are (or at least were, at that time) Christian.

I am interested in learning more about the sinister beings who may be at work, trying to create discord of some sort. I have wondered if their is something like this happening also. But I usually end up hoping its just my paranoia. :)

Nam Jiwan

sat shri akaal

could it be that when abraham went up a mountain and meditated he had a conversation with god, but it blew his mind so much that he could only impart some of the key points to his friends and family. maybe he would have had to do it in their language, using contexts from their culture

when moses went up a mountain, got into the zone, had a conversation with god, but the culture, science, understanding and language had changed. so he explained using the new context

same with buddha, jesus, mohammed,

Then Guru Nanak went into the zone - the river of life - had a conversation and explained it, based on the understanding, language, and culture of the times

but just maybe it is the same conversation with the same supreme being but expressed differently due to differences in language, culture, science progress and understanding. maybe the message was the same,

explore the word
believe in the one god

maybe the ones who want us to be different, more special than others, more right than others, maybe there are sinister forces at work that would benefit from humanity being separate, bickering rather than united under the one god living in grace

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Prakash ji,

Regarding:
It is this context which makes the concept of CREATOR in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji different from Others.

I have a couple questions about your perspective. Do you mean the Creator of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is a different God? Or do you mean the Creator gives a unique perspective of Him/Herself through Guru Granth Sahib?

Also do you feel there is a superior Divine Creator when it comes to the Divine in Sikhi? Or do you mean the revelations of the Creator in Guru Granth Sahib are superior to other religions?

When I read Guru Granth Sahib, I feel I am reading the work of saints more than God and that those saints are reflecting my heart to God by reflecting their hearts to God and writing about the experience. Not sure that makes sense.

Blessings,
Nam Jiwan mundahug

Aug 28, 2010
Sat Nam _/|\_

Prakash ji,

Regarding:

I have a couple questions about your perspective. Do you mean the Creator of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is a different God? Or do you mean the Creator gives a unique perspective of Him/Herself through Guru Granth Sahib?

Also do you feel there is a superior Divine Creator when it comes to the Divine in Sikhi? Or do you mean the revelations of the Creator in Guru Granth Sahib are superior to other religions?

When I read Guru Granth Sahib, I feel I am reading the work of saints more than God and that those saints are reflecting my heart to God by reflecting their hearts to God and writing about the experience. Not sure that makes sense.

Blessings,
Nam Jiwan mundahug

I go pointwise here,

1...The CREATOR is CREATOR and is only ONE.There is no doubt about this.
Yes the CREATOR in SGGS is different from the concept of CREATOR as GOD of Western philosophy..How it is different that is important to understand?

The concept of CREATOR as GOD is as FORMLESS. It can be well understood that any entity which is SINGULAR(SINGLE NUMBER)
has to be FORMLESS. Since GOD is a reference for SINGULAR (SINGLE NUMBER) entity so one is always going to know GOD as FORMLESS.

Whereas in SGGS CREATOR is specific entity to be known asGuR/Prabhu/Hari.(I dont know whether you understand this or not)
Now this entity GuR/Prabhu/Hari is ONE with SPECIFIC FORM being refered asEKANKAAR/NIRANAAR.

So how one can equate GOD as CREATOR which is FORMLESS with the CREATOR in SGGS as GuR/PRABHu/Hari which has SPEIFIC FORM.

Point-2...There is no question of CREATOR being superior or inferior
as THe CREATOR is only ONE and ABSOLUTE..
The only difference is in the concept of FORM of the
CREATOR between GOD as CREATOR and that in SGGS .

POINT-3...When one is reading SGGS one is reading the Banee of the
CREATOR GuR/PRABHu/HARi only.
In SGGS the reference of the word SANT is for CREATOR only
so far as Banee is concerned.

I have tried to give you my understanding about what you have stated.
I hope you deep attention and your opinion accordingly.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Guru ji's style was generally of respectful reference, dialog, equality where they did not put themselves above any one or below any one nor they did any different to anyone else. Their focus was on our actions in living and teaching was logically driven to speak about the value, non-value of actions as they impact our living in consonance with creation.

I think that this quote by a Catholic mystic on "consonance with creation" is particularly close to Sikhi:

"...Because he is everywhere, this soul finds God everywhere. All things are fitting for her, for she does not find anywhere but that she finds God there...Nothing more is necessary to me than what He wills. Because all that this Soul wills in consent is what God wills that she will, and this she wills in order to accomplish the will of God, no longer for the sake of her own will. And she cannot will this by herself, but it is the will of God which wills it in her. Which is why it appears that this Soul has no will without the will of God, who makes her will all that she ought to will...This Soul is like the eagle, because this Soul flies high, indeed, very high, higher than any other bird because she is feathered by Fine Love. She sees more clearly the beauty of the sun, the rays of the sun, and the splendor of the sun, and the rays which feed her with the marrow of the high cedars...And because all things are consonant with God, these souls find God in all things..."

- Marguerite Porete (died 1310), French Catholic mystic

BTW She died by being burned at the stake as a heretic by a group of corrupt bishops in Paris, who subjected her to a lengthy trial because she refused to recant her beliefs, stop travelling around preaching and cease from disseminating the publication of her mystical book, "The Mirror of Simple Annihilated Souls" which they had actually burnt before her eyes, even though it was her life's work and had become the most popular bestselling spiritual book in Catholic Europe and had the support of high-ranking, orthodox theologians. As she was being burnt, the crowd were in tears because they were so moved by her bravery and natural goodness in the face of such a cruel and appalling execution. Even after her death, clergy who were sympathetic to Marguerite published her book annonymously. It was praised and recommended by Pope Eugenius IV (1383 – 1447) and other prominent churchmen. It became almost a standard mystical text and there are copies of it in multiple languages throughout Europe right up to the 17th century. It is the only mystical work of European literature to cross linguistic boundaries. In 1926 it was published with the papal imprimatur and nihil obstat which means that Catholic Church approves of the book and believes that it contains nothing contrary to faith or morals. In 1946, it was re-discovered that the author of the Mirror had been Marguerite Porete. She is now recognised as one of the greatest medieval woman mystics.

This is an artistic depiction of what she is thought to have looked like (its used by a few books, although it has no actual link to any portrait of the real Marguerite that I know of although it captures her spirit well with the book that cost her life):

59363.jpg

and of her death (its horrid but this is what they did to her):

margueriteporetev2.jpg

She is one of my "heroines" mundahug

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: