• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Aartee - Ritual ?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh.

I was asked if the" aartee" performed on Guru Granth ji is OK ? Isnt this a COPY CAT ritual of the aartee Hindus perform on their IDOLS in mandirs ??
The "collection" of various shabads containing the word 'aartee" has been put together and this "bani" is sung as acollection while the aartee ritual is performed on the Guru Granth sahib Jee.
There is NO SUCH BANI called AARTEE in Guru GrAnth sahib Jee. Its only ONE shabad in Raag Dhanasari..on AAng 663.( like say Sri sukhmani sahib or Anand sahib or such) Guru Nanak sahib Jee DID NOT ATTEND the Aartee RITUAL being performed by the Pujaris at Jaganath Puri mandir BUT wrote this SHABAD to EXPOSE the Hollow Ritual being practised by the Brahmins....and here we have SIKHS doing the same - they PERFORM the same empty HOLLOW RITUAL on GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE while singing this Shabad by Guru Ji...MOCKERY and INSULT.
Gurmatt doesnt permit such RITUALS...aaartee of IDOLS is performed in HINDU MANDIRS....and GURU NANAK Ji wrote the Gaggan Mein Thaal SHABAD to REMOVE the MISCONCEPTION of "aartee ritual" being performed at Jagan nath Puri mandir.

As a Shabad the gaggan mein thaal and any other shabad CAN and should be SUNG...BUT NO COPY CAT RITUAL of having a small "thaali" with ghee lamps, flowers etc being thrown about should be performed in front of GURU GRANTH Ji...that is akin to DOING the OPPOSITE of what GURU NANAK JI is saying in the so called aartee shabad being sung.... INSULTING to say the least to the Meaning of Gurbani and Guru Granth Ji.

Guru nanak ji also wrote a Shabad CONDEMNING the JANEAU as a mark of CASTE....this shabad was written whent he pandit was called to put the janeau on Guru Ji....GURU JI REJECTED the cotton thread janeau of the Brahmin and told HIM...O Brahman IF you ahve a "special janeau" of...Daya Santokh etc then I WOULD LIKE THAT.becasue that janeau wont ever BREAK or become DIRTY...BUT this thread that can break and ebcome soiled..PLEASE REMOVE it from my sight. The other day i heard some one advocating SINGING this SHABAD on the JANEAU...( while putting a janeau on a person !!!!) this person was saying the SAME thing you are saying: Guru ji DID NOR REJECT the JANEAU.....in fact GURU JI wrote a SHABAD on the JANEAU.....and what is wrong with singing that shabad while we put on a janeau ??? The day is not far when this janeau "argument" will become as widespread as the "aartee" argument. This man went so far as to say a certain "kathakaar" quoting the Bhai Bala janam sakhi ( btw there is NO bhai baala - Guur nanank ji only had ONE companion Bhai mardana Ji) that Guru nanak Ji DID NOR REJECT wearing the janeau out of RESPECT for the ceremony arranged by his father !!! What a load of utter rubbish ... GURU JI REJECTED the janeau out of hand and wrote the shabad about the "real" janeau.

GURMATT absolutely REJECTS ALL RITUALS....and "aartee" is a RITUAL pure and simple. No two ways about it. NO HUMAN can ever PERFORM the Natural aartee that Waheguru has being performed by NATURE...that is the Essence of the artee shabad gaggan mein thaal. We MUST be very very alert and not let dubious kathakaars and balas and their janamsakhis take us off track...GURBANI and GURMATT are very clear Paths with no doubts, no ambiguities or duality..just straight and simple path to waheguru.

Dass jarnail singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear members,

I fully agree with what Gyani Je has said in his post.

There is no Artee for we Khalsas. What Guru Sahib has said in Siri Guru Granth Sahib is in fact while negating this ritual.

The problem is that we Khalsas have not fully understood Sikhi. We are still living with the brain that is formatted by the religion to which our ancestors belongs. We have to reformat ourselves.

Artee and similar rituals are not for those who follow 'Sikhi' i.e. the knowledge contained in Siri Guru Granth Sahib. I do not participate in them.

All that Gyani Jarnail Singh Jee has said in this post is right according to me.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: