• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A "miracle" Or A Saga Of Genuine Interfaith Love

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There is this Sikh gentleman of about 88 who told me this story.
It happened during the early days of the Anti Communist Emergency in malaya in the 50's.

Pyara Singh Bhador was a soldier in the British Army that re-took Malaya from the Japanese after the end of WW II, His best friend and buddy was John Abraham Stanley.
While John was a staunch catholic..and Irish at that..Pyara was a staunch Sikh. Both always took any opportunity to convince the other about his religion as TRUTH..but both never denigrated or spoke bad about the other religions or beleifs.

John always wore a big Cross around his neck and he claimed that as long as he wore it..death couldnt come near him....and indeed many near misses proved this in some way... He had made Puara promise that he would take it from his neck if spemhow it failed to protect him as he woudl like Pyara to have it more than anyone else.

One day the two of them..John and Pyara were ordered into the Jungles on a particularly dangerous Mission. Before entering the jungle, John gave Pyara soemthing wrapped in a handkerchef to put in his pocket. Pyara took it silently and both entered the jungles of Pahang State.... no sooner had they gone just a few yards they encountered deadly fire from hidden terrorists..and John was hit by a direct hit..... OH..your Cross failed you this time....cried Pyara...as he fired back at the enemy.
Later when he requested the Medicos to give him the Cross retrieved from John..the Medico told him..he wasnt wearing it at all. That night while looking through his pockets...Pyara found the Cross in the handkerchief John had given him....
There is no LOVE greater than the Gift of Life.... Pyara had tears in his eyes when he showed me the Cross that he has kept all these years....and told me..I will give it to the next best person i think fit....still havent found him/her yet !!!:happy:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The true meaning of Niskaam Seva- Selfless service is where me-ism is eradicated and one becomes the flower of the Gurmat garden no matter what hue,creed or faith one belongs to and emits its scent in all directions sans bias.

However, as I live in Vegas the gambling town, the odds of John and/or Pyara dying were 50/50 but he knew that he had Pyara to defend him and vice versa. If it had not been for Pyara shooting back after John had gotten wounded then Pyara would not have called the medicos for help,although they could not save John because his time had come. Mind you, it was John who had said that his cross would save him, not Pyara and Pyara did not have the cross around his neck the place for the saving grace as John had claimed due to his faith, but in his pocket.

Now what if both had survived then would John had asked for the handkerchief back?

Just a thought!

The miraculous thing was that they were buddys and together at the most crucial moments of their lives, hence the love cultivated between each other was a miracle.

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The way I read the story -- forgive me if I am putting too much of my imagination into this -- is that John somehow knew that his time was up. And he wanted his friend to have more than a 50/50 chance of surviving. And he knew that he was not going to make it. No chance of asking for the handkerchief back. So he gave Pyara the cross wrapped up in the handkerchief, so Pyara would not refuse it. He just thought it was a handkerchief. It was the best John could do under the circumstances. Stranger examples of people acting on a 6th sense have happened. Or maybe it was destined -- the hand of .... you know who.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Genuine Miracles are HUMAN INTERACTIONS....Human LOVE....

Anyone who can... like Bhai Ghaniyya Ji did.... genuinely believe in Na ko beri nahin beganna..sagal sang hum ko bann ayee is living a miracle because such behaviour is rare...very very rare...

The Miracle is NOT so much in how Guru Arjun ji managed to sit on the Hot plate..the Miracle is when He declared..DOSH na kahoon devohn.. I Blame NO ONE !! Such miracles dont happen just once..they happen again and again...as Sikh history has shown.

John definitley beleived in his cross..in this instance he wanted to save the life of his friend even if it meant giving up his own...otherwise he would have kept his cross..as he had always done before he cultivated his friendship and love for payara.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM