• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom '84 Riots: Witness Accuses Police Of Not Contacting Her

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
'84 Riots: Witness Accuses Police of Not Contacting Her

A woman, who lost five of her family members during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, today claimed before a court here conducting trial against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar that Delhi police did not contact her for conducting a probe into the incident.

"I only received the summons in 2004. Since nobody contacted me and, therefore, there was no question of my non-cooperation. I was not aware of the fact that cases of riot victims were going in the year 2003-04," Jagdish Kaur told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.

Kaur, 69, who now resides in Amritsar, was being cross examined by defence counsel Anil Kumar Sharma for the 10th day in a row.

The witness also denied having knowledge about registration of a criminal case on the recommendation of the Ranganath Mishra Commission on her affidavit.

"I do not know whether any action was taken by the Rangnath Mishra Commission on my affidavit. I do not know if on the basis of my affidavit FIR with Delhi Cantt police station was registered. Before the Nanavati Commission was set up, no case was registered pertaining to killing of my husband and son," Kaur said.

She, however, admitted she had received one summons from court in 2008.

"I was asked to appear as a witness but I told him (process server) that since I apprehend danger to my life in Delhi, I will not go to Delhi and case be transferred to Amritsar," she said.

"In the year 2002, I was called by the Nanavati Commission at that time. Offer was given for providing protection by SGPC to me and, therefore, I came to Delhi... In 2003, since summons were received from the police, I was scared and did not trust them. Therefore, I did not go," the witness said.

The cross-examination of the witness remained inconclusive and is likely to resume tomorrow.

Kaur had on July 3 identified Kumar and his nephew Khokkar, and other accused Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal as accomplices who had allegedly instigated mobs during the 1984 carnage.

Kaur's family members, including her husband Kehar Singh, were killed in the riots.

CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of the Nanavati Commission.

http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?688794

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: