India 50 Arrested In Communal Riots In Moradabad


Apr 3, 2005
Curfew continued on Wednesday in six areas of Uttar Pradesh’s Moradabad city, about 340 km northwest of Lucknow, following an outbreak of communal violence late Tuesday. The violence broke out over rumours of riots, two days after a group of kanwariyas (devotees of Lord Shiva) allegedly torched some vehicles and threw stones at a factory where people were offering Ramzan prayers, said a police source.

The source said mobs resorted to firing, stone throwing and arson. At least 11 people, including police officers, were injured and 29 houses were set on fire, the source added.

SP (City) Piyush Srivastava said, “A deputy superintendent of police and an inspector are among those injured. Five people, including the inspector, have received bullet injuries. They are stated to be out of danger.”

Special director general of police (law and order) Brijlal said 50 people were arrested in connection with the violence. He said the situation was under control and security had been beefed up.

Former cricketer and Moradabad MP Mohammad Azharuddin said, “The guilty, irrespective of their religion, must be dealt with sternly.”

(With inputs from agencies)
Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
13 injured in Moradabad Communal Riots, Curfew Prevails

Published: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 at 15:05 IST on Pranaam India

Lucknow: 13 people injured after a communal clash in Moradabad city between some Hindu Kanwariya pilgrims and Muslims.
Curfew still prevails in parts of Uttar Pradesh's Moradabad city

Violence broke out in Dasarai locality following intense arguments between some Hindu Kanwariya pilgrims and Muslims. Two policemen are injured.

Kanwariyas (Lord Shiva devotees) wanted to take out their procession from an undeclared route, members of the minority community were firmly against it. The Kanwariyas resorted to arson and vandalism, said a police officer.

Both communities members became violent and fought with police. A police outpost in Aslatpur area and several vehicles were set on fire by the two groups.

Curfew has been imposed in various areas under six police stations. The situation is still tense, but well under control, District Magistrate Sameer Verma told as per the sources.

Provincial Armed Constabulary, Rapid Action Force have been positioned along with police in parts of Bareilly to turn away any untoward incident, he added.

Another dispute had taken place Saturday between the groups, police said.