• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

5 Symbols Of Faith

blitz_x

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007
I am going to say this right now, I am not Sikh, I am only researching for a Sociology class.

I know about the five articles, but, I can not find a single scrap of information about the following:

Are you less of a Sikh, in the eyes of the Guru, if you do not wear all of them?

[I am very sorry if i offended.]

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Its very difficuilt question.According to orthodox sikhs you are not sikh if you do not wear 5ks or atleast keep uncut hair but liberal sikh beleive's that you could be a sikh without wearing 5ks.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
I am going to say this right now, I am not Sikh, I am only researching for a Sociology class.

I know about the five articles, but, I can not find a single scrap of information about the following:

Are you less of a Sikh, in the eyes of the Guru, if you do not wear all of them?

"less of a Sikh" just arises emotions and people get angry.

The Guru set forth a way to follow, people who followed his word more closely and were more loyal, I'm sure the guru "entrusted" them to lead and control the army while he was doing other activities.

Were the others then deemed less Sikh in front of the guru? I'd believe so, but does that mean he treated them unequally? I'd say no.

I feel its something that people need to just admit and realize its not that big of a deal. Your not AS Sikh as someone who follows a literal word created in 1699 -- who cares?

I am less Sikh than an amritdhari Khalsa. He follows the Gurus words literally, and if the Guru took a small vacation, he would get the throne because he keeps everything "as is the gurus still alive" rather than me, who contemplates and questions even the teachers rules. Better question for me is, why would I want to be "more" of a Sikh ?

If I was a leader, and certain people followed everything I said, I would generally trust them more as they have proven their loyalty, as opposed to others. Would I mistreat them or favor them publicly in the time of need? Hopefully not, but I'll probably never be in that situation. We'd like to assume the Guru did not favor, but entrusted those who were his loyalist...which leads to the answer to be Yes, the 5 K's are highly important in terms of the Guru's eyes, and makes them more of a Sikh.

I'm basing this answer solely off historical perspective, and not personifying the SGGS or internalizing the Guru and attempting to translate words spoken in 1699 to modern times. All we have is what he said, not what the "internal guru" views as more sikh, or what the SGGS states or has been changed over time, or what Guru Gobind or Guru Nanak would say in today's time.

Guru Gobind said a certain thing, and he trusted those who followed strictly what he said -- that implies the others were viewed as "less" Sikh, since all of them were "Sikhs". (Not to get confused -- ITS NOT BAD TO BE "LESS" SIKH!)

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all and Blitz_x Jee!

The question raised is "Are you less of a Sikh, in the eyes of the Guru, if you do not wear all of them?"
One is less of a Sikh, in the eyes of fanatics, if he does not wear all of the Kakaars.

In eyes of the true Guru, one is the Sikh when he receives true Naam Simran and practices it.

Balbir Singh

Apr 4, 2007

i don't think any human can tell you what Guru thinks... :) in general, only amritdhari (baptised) sikhs are required to wear all 5 Ks all the time. most sikhs just wear Kes (hair) and Kara (bangle). or in some communities (as KDS says) only kara these days.

but even if you're amritdhari, if you can't keep a kakkar for some reason (for example, one cannot wear a kirpan when flying on an airplane), you get a pass. just do ardas (prayer) and you're good to go. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
i don't think any human can tell you what Guru thinks... :) in general, only amritdhari (baptised) sikhs are required to wear all 5 Ks all the time. most sikhs just wear Kes (hair) and Kara (bangle). or in some communities (as KDS says) only kara these days.

but even if you're amritdhari, if you can't keep a kakkar for some reason (for example, one cannot wear a kirpan when flying on an airplane), you get a pass. just do ardas (prayer) and you're good to go. :)
Also you cannot eat or drink until you recover the kakkar and do Ardaas.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Also you cannot eat or drink until you recover the kakkar and do Ardaas.

Bhai it is more a ritualism.

We have to stay more praticular with 5 wrong things or Kurahit and if it is done we have to be a Sikh again.

Das could detached Five of his Kakars when situation desires(in Nihungs it is blue Keski not Kes as our Kakar).

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Gurfateh

Bhai it is more a ritualism.

We have to stay more praticular with 5 wrong things or Kurahit and if it is done we have to be a Sikh again.

Das could detached Five of his Kakars when situation desires(in Nihungs it is blue Keski not Kes as our Kakar).

SSA bhai-ji,

but if you wear a blue keshki, that implies you have kesh to cover.

About the ritualism - can you explain more?

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
so if i fly to india, for example, i'm not supposed to eat or drink for the duration of the 18 hour flight?

that doesn't seem very practical, nor is it mentioned in the SRM. where did you hear this?
Probably from some random sikh fourm on searching more infos about kakkars.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
"Less" "more"??? are just words.
The Five Ks are physical discipline towards spiritual discipline..hence the stress on "rehit" rather than the SIKH. The REHIT makes a SIKH..not the other way around.
On a more worldly level...is a marine any less marine if his shoes are not POLISHED enough to show his face ?? or his fire-arm wasnt cleaned and oiled to perfection or his trousers looks like he slept in them ?? who is the "more" Marine - the slipshod one or the spick and span one ?? ASK the DRILL SARGEANT !!!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
SSA bhai-ji,

but if you wear a blue keshki, that implies you have kesh to cover.

About the ritualism - can you explain more?
Bro,

Keski is there to cover the hairs but not always like when we are fighting a karate match or are in wrestling akhara or swiming or say bathing.

As for ritualism our Great Guide Gyani Sahib are there das requests him to guide you as he has guided das many often at crucial stages of life.

Das also says Fateh to Great gyani Jarnail Singh Ji.And requests him to guide you.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM