• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India 40 Sikhs Convert To Christianity In A Tarn Taran District Village

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
40 Sikhs Convert to Christianity in a Tarn Taran District Village

Gurdwara Management's Treatment of "Low Caste" Sikhs Calls for Strict Action

By: Sikh24 Editors

Gurdwara-Baba-Bir-Singh-in-village-Dhotian-district-Tarn-Taran.jpg

Gurdwara Baba Bir Singh in village Dhotian, district Tarn Taran

AMRITSAR SAHIB (August 21, 2012)–According to sources, today at approximately 3:30pm (India time), 40 Sikhs have converted to Christianity in the village Dhotian (ਢੌਟੀਆਂ) in district Tarn Taran. There are 31 Gurdwaras in the village and one historical shrine, Gurdwara Raja Ram in memory of Baba Bir Singh Naurangabad. Langar is served in the village’s large Gurdwara, but the Mahzbi Sikhs, or so-called “low castes,” are refused entry–contrary to the tenants of the Sikh faith.

Baba_Jagtar_Singh_Tarn_Taran_Kar_Seva.jpg

Baba Jagtar Singh, Kar Sewa Wale

For the past few years, Baba Jagtar Singh of Tarn Taran Sahib has been doing ‘Kar Sewa’ (construction service). They have demolished the historical Gurdwara and rebuilt it in the name of sewa. Millions of rupees have been spent on the construction of a Gate and Langar Hall in which the so-called low castes are not allowed entry. Baba Jagtar Singh and the rest of his sewadars (volunteers) have been witnessed talking down to the so-called low caste Sikhs.

This was the first missionary tour by the Christians in the village, which has led to 40 conversions of Sikhs who originate from the so-called low caste backgrounds. It is likely in the next missionary tour they will construct a church in the village.

It is noteworthy that this is the village of the writer Jagjit Singh who authored the book ‘Sikh Inqalaab’ (Sikh Revolution) in which he strongly condemned the caste system and caste discrimination, in line with the Sikh faith. Since the time of the early Sikh Gurus, this village has been on the forefront for giving sacrifices for the Sikh religion and maintaining the Sikh religion.

One of the leaders of the local Sikh youth who have been fighting the so-called “Kar Sewa Sant” (Jagtar Singh) and caste discrimination said, “If the Christians make a church then they will invest 50,000 rupees because they want the poor Sikhs (from the lower social backgrounds) to join them and give them equal status.”

One group of Christian missionaries is very active on the banks of the River Beas in the village Dhahian. The ‘Mahzbi’ Sikhs in the villages where great Sikh freedom fighters hailed from like Shaheed Bhai Manochahal, Sangha, Naushira, Vein Poin, Nagoke, Sakheera and others are being groomed and converting to Christianity in large numbers. Churches are being constructed in which they are getting children to sing the praises of Jesus on loud speakers so that all the villagers can hear.

Sikh groups are asking Akal Takht Sahib to take strict action against the Saadh Jagtar Singh and his men who are not only demolishing historical Gurdwaras in the name of ‘Kar Sewa’ but committing a grave sin in the garb of Sikhs by pushing the poor and Mahzbi Sikhs away from the Sikh religion.

source: http://www.sikh24.com/2012/08/40-sikhs-convert-to-christianity-in-a-tarn-taran-district-village/

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011
If fellow Sikhs are treated like untouchables and not even allowed entry in Gurdwaras then you really cant blame them for converting.
Christian missionaries are often blamed for converting low caste and poor people from other religions to Christianity by offering them monetary benefits. Should we blame the missionaries for this or ourselves for not helping the poor and treating them badly and as a result turning them away?

I also think that Sikhs should do prachar of Sikhi. There is almost no missionary work by Sikhs and that will hurt us in the future, especially when other's are actively doing it.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
And so slwoly is Sikhi faith dying.. The good and enlightend Sikhs give Kurbanees and say all will be fine , just don´t care.... the fakes - ruin the rest... And we are just sitting here dicussioning.. Damn I so want something to do against all this!

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WJKKWJKF

The real problem here is three fold First this Baba Jagtar Singh people for carring out caste discrimination despite enumerable verses in SGGSji, secondly these so-called low caste Sikhs for continuing with their so-called low caste position rather than learning about Sikhi and so being able to stand up for their rights and to be treated as EQUALLS in Sikhi as indeed we all are, A saying of Guru Gobindji at the initiation of the Khalsa at Vaisaki in 1699 "There shall be no low or no high in my new order" {I think I got it right} and thirdly those who were in position locally and with knowledge for not helping these so-called low caste Sikhs to advance and improve their knowledge and practice of Sikhi Just This Singh's humble opinion on this matter

:happysingh:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I think our 'leaders' have given up the need to do right prachar of Sikhi by saying proudly 'we have no missionaries in Sikhism' :D

Not quite Ji..
MIssionary" is a dirty word and its used on people like sarbjit singh dhunda jagtar singh jachak panthpreet singh etc etc parcharaks of gurmat gian missionary college, shahid sikh missionary college etc etc even ex jathedars like darshan singh rgai, and writers like kala afghana, joginder singh spokesman ....all these are DIRTY becasue they beleive in ONLY SGGS, SRM instead of Baba sri chand, dg, sarovars ishnaans and hemkunts etc etc... SO we do have MISSIONARIES..and they are doing Good Parchaar BUT unfrtunatley the Big Wigs SGPC, Takhats, BABAS etc have politicla backing, goluck power, govt backing etc etc...and so the DESTROY SIKHI JUGGERNAUT rumbles ON...a MISSIONARY who is too much of a thorn like sarbjit singh dhunda recently..is singled out for special action..and cowed down..,,and GURDWARAS and SIKHS are being DEMOLISHED to be replaced by MARBLE DOMED Samadhs and ROBOT SIKHS. Those who REFUSE to be ROBOTISED..join Christianity...go back to Hinduism..caste etc..some just back off...Balleh balleh cry the Babas..2 lakh pranniah nu amrit chhakaeh guru walleh banna dittah....hearing this the Next Baba says..5 lakh..next 10 lakh..and so the TERMITE QUEENS compete in laying more EGGS who come out as Termite SIKHS...living only for their own QUEEN BABA !!

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It is very hard to undo the whole thinking of Panth when it has been absorbing koor myths for long. Some people tried to tell the Truth to the world and they were shown the door. Maybe slowly these people can be re-accustomed with Truth!

<TABLE width="84%"><TBODY><TR><TD>ਮਃ
मः ३ ॥
Mėhlā 3.
Third Mehl:
ਮਨਮੁਖ ਬੋਲਿ ਜਾਣਨੀ ਓਨਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ
मनमुख बोलि न जाणनी ओना अंदरि कामु क्रोधु अहंकारु ॥
Manmukẖ bol na jāṇnī onā anḏar kām kroḏẖ ahaʼnkār.
The self-willed manmukhs do not know what they are saying. They are filled with sexual desire, anger and egotism.
ਓਇ ਥਾਉ ਕੁਥਾਉ ਜਾਣਨੀ ਉਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਲੋਭੁ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ
ओइ थाउ कुथाउ न जाणनी उन अंतरि लोभु विकारु ॥
O▫e thā▫o kuthā▫o na jāṇnī un anṯar lobẖ vikār.
They do not understand right places and wrong places; they are filled with greed and corruption.
ਓਇ ਆਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਇ ਆਇ ਬਹਿ ਗਲਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਓਨਾ ਮਾਰੇ ਜਮੁ ਜੰਦਾਰੁ
ओइ आपणै सुआइ आइ बहि गला करहि ओना मारे जमु जंदारु ॥
O▫e āpṇai su▫ā▫e ā▫e bahi galā karahi onā māre jam janḏār.
They come, and sit and talk for their own purposes. The Messenger of Death strikes them down.
ਅਗੈ ਦਰਗਹ ਲੇਖੈ ਮੰਗਿਐ ਮਾਰਿ ਖੁਆਰੁ ਕੀਚਹਿ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ
अगै दरगह लेखै मंगिऐ मारि खुआरु कीचहि कूड़िआर ॥
Agai ḏargėh lekẖai mangi▫ai mār kẖu▫ār kīcẖėh kūṛi▫ār.
Hereafter, they are called to account in the Court of the Lord; the false ones are struck down and humiliated.
ਏਹ ਕੂੜੈ ਕੀ ਮਲੁ ਕਿਉ ਉਤਰੈ ਕੋਈ ਕਢਹੁ ਇਹੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ
एह कूड़ै की मलु किउ उतरै कोई कढहु इहु वीचारु ॥
Ėh kūrhai kī mal ki▫o uṯrai ko▫ī kadẖahu ih vīcẖār.
How can this filth of falsehood be washed off? Can anyone think about this, and find the way?
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਿੜਾਏ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਕਟਣਹਾਰੁ
सतिगुरु मिलै ता नामु दिड़ाए सभि किलविख कटणहारु ॥
Saṯgur milai ṯā nām ḏiṛā▫e sabẖ kilvikẖ kataṇhār.
If one meets with the True Guru, He implants the Naam, the Name of the Lord within; all his sins are destroyed.
ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੋ ਆਰਾਧੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਭਿ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੁ
नामु जपे नामो आराधे तिसु जन कउ करहु सभि नमसकारु ॥
Nām jape nāmo ārāḏẖe ṯis jan ka▫o karahu sabẖ namaskār.
Let all bow in humility to that humble being who chants the Naam, and worships the Naam in adoration.
ਮਲੁ ਕੂੜੀ ਨਾਮਿ ਉਤਾਰੀਅਨੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ
मलु कूड़ी नामि उतारीअनु जपि नामु होआ सचिआरु ॥
Mal kūṛī nām uṯārī▫an jap nām ho▫ā sacẖiār.
The Naam washes off the filth of falsehood; chanting the Naam, one becomes truthful.
ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਏਹਿ ਚਲਤ ਹਹਿ ਸੋ ਜੀਵਉ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
जन नानक जिस दे एहि चलत हहि सो जीवउ देवणहारु ॥२॥
Jan Nānak jis ḏe ehi cẖalaṯ hėh so jīva▫o ḏevaṇhār. ||2||
O servant Nanak, wondrous are the plays of the Lord, the Giver of life. ||2||
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And such Babas are our twin enemies, making cracks in Sikhi and destroying historical monuments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Akla tkahat has given a CLEAN CHIT to radha Soami beas dera for COMPLETE DEMOITION of a Gurdwara in warraich...and those sikh bodies/groups asking for akal takhat "action" against BE-Kaar sewa Baba Mafia is like ????? i have no words left...( after all this Bekaar baba didnt demolish the whole Gurdwara...???? so will be given a "Super Clean chit"...

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Interestingly, in another village[I forgot the details]recently all the 29 families that had converted to christianity had reconverted back to Sikh faith, after apparently parchar by the dharmik chetna lehar workers..

So what is goling on?We know there used to be party cross overs, now it looks like religions have people that are crossing over from time to time, perhaps collecting "goodies" on the way!

I agree with Giani Ji, more damage has been done by these so call stalwarts of the community like SGPC,and those sikhs who have babas as their leaders than anyone else.

Shame!

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
TROJAN HORSES INSIDE SIKH FORT.....are the SGPC, Takhats, Babas, Bekaar sewa babas, ragis, kathawachaks, nanksarees, rarrewallahs, taksalis etc etc...ALL working to DESTROY gurmatt within.INSIDE-OUT.....while their Mates like Badal/BJP/RSS work on the OUTSIDE IN....

May 24, 2008
The Akla tkahat has given a CLEAN CHIT to radha Soami beas dera for COMPLETE DEMOITION of a Gurdwara in warraich...and those sikh bodies/groups asking for akal takhat "action" against BE-Kaar sewa Baba Mafia is like ????? i have no words left...( after all this Bekaar baba didnt demolish the whole Gurdwara...???? so will be given a "Super Clean chit"...
Badal ( being a relative ) is returning favours shown by RSSB shown during 2012 assembly elections .

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
If fellow Sikhs are treated like untouchables and not even allowed entry in Gurdwaras then you really cant blame them for converting.
Christian missionaries are often blamed for converting low caste and poor people from other religions to Christianity by offering them monetary benefits. Should we blame the missionaries for this or ourselves for not helping the poor and treating them badly and as a result turning them away?

I also think that Sikhs should do prachar of Sikhi. There is almost no missionary work by Sikhs and that will hurt us in the future, especially when other's are actively doing it.
In short....what i understood from above thread is that -
"Ignorance" from other people was the reason 40 Sikhs converted to Christianity .... Sounds so easy rite....people ignore you & you get converted & give excuse of ignorance BUT ...

Waheguru never ignored anybody ... Why they worried abt what treatment they are getting or what people think abt them ..... This was the reason Guru Ji said "Bani Guru Guru Hai Bani" .. just follow Gurbani & it's like Gurudwara...

i feel these 40 Sikhs showed their back to our Gurus for some cheap benefits that Christians enjoy in India....and its very common here in Maharashtra as well..Christian Missionaries would pay low caste people here to attend classes in their church & gradually convert them .... so, i wud blam those 40 coward converted on this ...

Oct 21, 2009
India
"Ignorance" from other people was the reason 40 Sikhs converted to Christianity .... Sounds so easy rite....people ignore you & you get converted & give excuse of ignorance BUT ...

Waheguru never ignored anybody ... Why they worried abt what treatment they are getting or what people think abt them ..... This was the reason Guru Ji said "Bani Guru Hai Bani" .. just follow Gurbani & it's like Gurudwara...

i feel these 40 Sikhs showed their back to our Gurus for some cheap benefits that Christians enjoy in India....and its very common here in Maharashtra as well..Christian Missionaries would pay low caste people here to attend classes in their church & gradually convert them .... so, i wud blam those 40 coward converted on this ...

Itsmaneet ji,

An English man had said in appreciation of sikhs: Sikhs dare much and endure much. I do agree with him. Sikhs are courageous people. All sikhs love Gurus like all of us here do.

But sikhs are a divided lot in India. SGPC has not provided any platform for sikhs in the proper manner. Some feel that Sehajdharis are not sikhs; hence they feel out castes. They are in limbo.They are not acceptable to Hindus as well. So, what should they do to establish there identity and their endurance is drained to yield point.?

Those who are rich can carry on with the society but those who are poor find solace by accepting some other faith.They are taken care of by Christians better.They get their self respect and find their Society.

If 10 sikhs keep on kicking a single sikh round the clock and keep on reminding him that he is not their brother ; what will he do? He will go some where else.

That is what is happening to sikhs. Poor sikhs or poor sahajdharis are either becoming Hindus or Christians. By becoming Christians they can, atleast, get their daughters married and intermingling becomes possible.

Guru will still remain with them. Guru never deserts their sikhs. Sikhi is meant for all four Varans- Brahmin, khatri, Vaish and Sudra...... If one loves sikhi one can still be a sikh though he may be cloaked in Christianity or Hinduism. Hindus and Christians are also made by Akaal Purukh and HE takes care of all of us.

Chardikala my Brother,

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011

Waheguru never ignored anybody ... Why they worried abt what treatment they are getting or what people think abt them ..... This was the reason Guru Ji said "Bani Guru Hai Bani" .. just follow Gurbani & it's like Gurudwara...

Dear itsmaneet
What you understood from my post is not what I meant. Its not ignorance of Mazabi Sikhs by the so called upper casts but its the mistreatment of Mazabi Sikhs that has led them away.
For example if members here decide not to reply to my posts that will be ignoring me which is neutral behavior since I am not well acquainted here but if tomorrow every member here starts abusing me that will be mistreatment. It will lead me away from SPN to some other forum where I am treated with respect.
That is what has happened. You say all Sikhs are equal in eyes of Waheguru but do not allow the low castes (I hate this word) to enter the Gurudwara. This centuries of mistreatment has finally lead them away.

Dude do you know what is the criteria for below poverty line in India? Rs 32/day. So if you earn any more you are not poor according to our govt.
These people have no money to feed themselves, let alone afford education for their children and medical care when sick. Many people die every day in India because they cannot afford medicines.
These Christian missionaries provide these people with food, free education, medical benefits, housing and treat them with equality.
They are left with a choice. Either to live in poverty and destroy the future of their young ones or accept a helping hand which may require them to convert.

Why cant we help our own brothers and sisters? Leave help, why do we treat them badly and then call them cowards for accepting help from someone else?
These people are not cowards, we are.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Walk on the right path and inspire people to walk along!
Even if 10 people (of so called allowed castes) had held hands with these 40, formed human chain and went inside Gurudwara, things would have been better.

I have seen other videos and photos of this Kar Sewa Baba, it is hard to realize that such a person could act this way. We are easily fooled by appearances. But now Truth is out! Did he say anything about it after this?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: