• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News 1984: A Sikh Story On BBC

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
BBC to tell story of 1984 bloodshed
Sonia Deol travels to India for 1984: A Sikh Story

IN 1984 Indira Gandhi sent troops into the holiest and most revered of Sikh shrines, The Golden Temple.

The aim was to expel the Sikh militant preacher, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale and his followers. What followed were the bloodiest of consequences, ultimately leading to Indira Gandhi’s own assassination by her Sikh bodyguards and a backlash against the Sikhs that India had not witnessed since the days of partition.

1984: A Sikh Story tells the story of this tumultuous year through the eyes of British born Sikh, Sonia Deol, who was only eleven when the Indian army stormed The Golden Temple.

It is only in recent years that Sonia has begun to understand her faith - an awakening that began during her own visit to The Golden Temple; and there are many questions she needs answered. How could Indian troops, led by a Sikh, storm such a sacred shrine? How did the ‘cult’ of Bhindranwale attract so many Sikh followers and why is he still revered by some today?
YouTube- 1984 - A Sikh Story

The one - off documentary takes Sonia on an emotional journey back to India in a bid to discover how such an attack could ever have taken place.
Throughout her journey, Sonia will meet and interview eye-witnesses, including Giani Puran Singh a Golden Temple priest who dodged bullets from both the Indian army and Bhindranwale’s men; as well as the Army General Brar who was in charge of Operation Blue Star and whose army stormed the temple.

Sonia will also meet up with those caught up in the aftermath of Mrs Gandhi’s assassination and the resulting terrifying riots in Delhi.
Plus she will interview the women who were widowed during the riots and BBC correspondent Mark Tully, who became known for giving the world an insight into these events as they were happening, on the ground.
Starting in the UK and following Sonia on her journey to India, 1984: A Sikh Story will tell the story of her personal voyage to understand the history of her faith and explore what it means to be Sikh in Britain today.
Executive Producer Tommy Nagra says: “The events of 1984 have become an iconic and integral part of modern Sikh history. This is very much a personal film unravelling a chain of ****** events that India had not witnessed since the days of Partition.”

1984: A Sikh Story, Sunday 10 January at 22.55 on BBC One

Attachments

• 1984_sikh_story002.jpg
    1984_sikh_story002.jpg
    10.7 KB · Reads: 1,306

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Re: BBC to tell story of 1984 bloodshed

Vikram ji, please make sure you get this captured on youtube. Thanks for the update.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I saw this documentary and was deeply touched. The events of 1984 strike a chord with all Sikhs throughout the world, and from being a Pro Bhindranwala supporter I came to the conclusion long ago the Bhindranwala was as guilty as Indira Ghandhi, as to what happened. A blot on Sikh history.

I liked all of the documentary till the point of the presenter started blabbing at the end about her own confusion about the Sikh faith. I would say she was very confused. Forget the cut hair but maybe she should try not to follow Sants (she goes to the GNNSJ), understand how the DDT is different from mainstream Sikhism, and also maybe reflect on her own alleged relationship with a Muslim man.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Just checked the link above, its only for UK Sangat... would be great if somebody could post an alternative link for viewing for Sikh Sangat worldwide... Thank you.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Gurfateh

I agree with Randip Singh parjii, to the extent that the film should have contained a stronger beginning and ending. Beginning with a brief history of Sikhs and Punjabi and outlining the existing economic and social tensions of unrest in Punjabi which climaxed to the events that lead to 1984. Ending which probably would have raised more questions than answers. The story has NOT closed for many Sikhs, despite an apology from the prime minister.

However, in fairness to Sonia Doel, the story was not a documentary, but personal account and experience o:wah:f 1984 and how it has effected her and her spiritual path. Unfortunately, very little, but that is her path and we should totally respect that. Sonia got into the mainstream the open wounds felt by Sikhs of 1984, that is an achievement.

Let us hope now that the experience will allow Sonia to produce more documentaries, so that she can move up the ladder in her career as a journalist. Then, maybe having long hair would not be so much an hindrance:) :wah:

Agree with you.

In my profession there are very few non-white faces let alone Sikhs (Mona or Keshdhari), so when I meet one I try and set an example. My own conduct is one of a monogamous marriage to a Sikh, I don't drink or smoke, I try and read on Sikhi and Bani, etc. In other words I try and set an example to young Sikhs because I think it is my responsibility. I hope I offer my peers a good example.

Sonia's journey is a personal reflection, but to para-phrase Spiderman "with great 'success' comes great responsibility", and she should realise she is in a privileged position. If she is giving the message of following Sants, not knowing her own history and having alleged relationships with Muslim men, then what kind of example is she setting. She can cry all the tears she wants on TV , make all the documentaries, or even consider wearing a turban, but will not make one iota of difference until she reflects on her own behaviour and changes it.

To be honest I am not really concerned about her hair or whether she has taken Amrit or not (Hardip Singh Kohli wears a Pugh for example), but if her behaviour is based around the 5 thieves, then she really shouldn't bleat like a sheep on TV.;)

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Great introduction for Sikhs and non-Sikhs who don't already know the history.

And it's great for Sikhs who don't know much about their religion to reconnect and rediscover the teachings of Gurbani.

PS
Who else thinks Mark Tully comes across like a slimy sympathiser of the Gandhi family? A sort of pro-Hindu romanticist?

Just a thought.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I just watched this. Some good and some - to me, at least - very bad.

I think she should have showed something of Sikh beliefs beyond her emotional/spiritual reaction to Darbar Sahib. Still, given the time constraints, nothing could be added without leaving something out. What could be left out?

The interview with the traitor brar was classic. He came across as the slimy ******* he really is. I loved that.

I was outraged at her presentation of the widows. In fact, that outweighed any good that was in the programme. She was soooooo condescending toward them. These women are genuine Sikh heroes and should be presented as such. They should never be presented as objects of pity. I cannot expressed my admiration for those who carried on, raised their children, supported their much diminished families without their men and with precious little help from anyone. This in spite of their own pain and trauma which cannot be described, but only hinted at. These are very strong women; it is very painful to see them presented as pathetic relics.

Now, how do I say this next without offending some of my friends here? No way, I guess, so they'll just have to be offended. That is not my intention, but...I am also put off at BBC's using a mona as the visible representative of the Sikh community. I know she is not really a representative of the sangat in any official sense, yet she will be taken that way. We were attacked and killed because we looked like Sikhs.
:happysingh::happykaur:

Perhaps there are no keshdhari Sikhs in Britain who are newscasters - the only other Sikh British newscaster I know of is the redoubtable Daljit Dhaliwal - but surely there is some young British Sikh woman who is a visible Sikh who could have done the job. If it was necssary to use this particular woman, I would have liked to see a whole lot more Jaswinder Kaur Sidhi (if I heard correctly) and a whole lot less Sonia Deol.

After watching it, I felt let down, with a feeling of inconmpleteness. Still, if it brought some bit of knowledge to the public about who and what we are and about what happened, I suppose it has served some purpose.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I just watched this. Some good and some - to me, at least - very bad.

I think she should have showed something of Sikh beliefs beyond her emotional/spiritual reaction to Darbar Sahib. Still, given the time constraints, nothing could be added without leaving something out. What could be left out?

The interview with the traitor brar was classic. He came across as the slimy ******* he really is. I loved that.

I was outraged at her presentation of the widows. In fact, that outweighed any good that was in the programme. She was soooooo condescending toward them. These women are genuine Sikh heroes and should be presented as such. They should never be presented as objects of pity. I cannot expressed my admiration for those who carried on, raised their children, supported their much diminished families without their men and with precious little help from anyone. This in spite of their own pain and trauma which cannot be described, but only hinted at. These are very strong women; it is very painful to see them presented as pathetic relics.

Now, how do I say this next without offending some of my friends here? No way, I guess, so they'll just have to be offended. That is not my intention, but...I am also put off at BBC's using a mona as the visible representative of the Sikh community. I know she is not really a representative of the sangat in any official sense, yet she will be taken that way. We were attacked and killed because we looked like Sikhs.

Perhaps there are no keshdhari Sikhs in Britain who are newscasters - the only other Sikh British newscaster I know of is the redoubtable Daljit Dhaliwal - but surely there is some young British Sikh woman who is a visible Sikh who could have done the job. If it was necssary to use this particular woman, I would have liked to see a whole lot more Jaswinder Kaur Sidhi (if I heard correctly) and a whole lot less Sonia Deol.

After watching it, I felt let down, with a feeling of inconmpleteness. Still, if it brought some bit of knowledge to the public about who and what we are and about what happened, I suppose it has served some purpose.

Maybe they could have got Hardip Singh Kohli (but his conduct of late has not been good).

My own favourite would be the phenomenal Indarjit Singh!!!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Totally, agree with you, maybe with all the skills historians etc and support here we should do our own documentary? Or even right a book, start writing reviews in mainstream journals and commentaries, online, let the public know..

Critically, commenting on the film is good, but please draw the line against 'slander' for e.g. 'alleged' relationships... this serves no purpose and is a very anti-Sikh thing to do.

As for going to Soho Road Gurdwara, does not mean that she follows saints, no where does she bow to Bhai Shab, she is hardly a poor role model for going to that particular Gurdwara. That Gurdwara does not belong to the Sants as Randip Parji suggested but belongs to everyone, and she is highly unlikely to be a poor role model for going there, we are unlikely to see a rush of young girls bowing to living saints, as a result.

Unfortunately, appearance is important for news reporters, how many wrinkled old women, still stay on as news reporters? Despite seeing many wrinkled old men? When will we see a reporter with a dastar? Or a lady with full glory of facial hair on mainstream media?

Enough, public opinion and us license payers can sway and influence the thinking in BBC, so lets start by making our views known to the BBC who actually produced the film.

You missed my points entirely.

My intention is not to slander, but highlight inconsistencies with the reporter and her own knowledge of the Sikh faith. How can she tackle something so controversial, with such a flawed knowledge?

Her own conduct was something I highlighted not to slander, but to also illustrate, that there are far more important things than long hair and a turban for a Sikh, something she totally missed out.

eg Dr Jevan Singh Deol, a Mona, and has impeccable conduct, is a far better Sikh than most Keshdhari's I know. The Sikh Times - Biographies - Jeevan Singh Deol: A Budding Historian

Last edited:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006

That's one way of looking at it.

Another way would be to say that presenting a mona face to the public makes the topic more accessible. In a way, the presenters journey to becoming closer to Sikkhism will allow non-Sikhs and non-practising Sikhs to consider taking that journey themselves.

If you ask me, she was very, very intelligent in the way she approached the subject.
If it was necssary to use this particular woman, I would have liked to see a whole lot more Jaswinder Kaur Sidhi (if I heard correctly) and a whole lot less Sonia Deol.

Isn't it ironic?

The presenter of the program was a Sidhu-Brar, Bhindranwala himself was a Sidhu-Brar, the man who opened fire on the Harmandir Sahib is a Sidhu-Brar, and I understand the lawyer shown at the end planting the trees and fighting for justice in the courts is also a Sidhu-Brar.

Talk about keeping it in the family :}{}{}:

Well, how much can you really do in 60 mins on a mainstream BBC1 program about all the complexities of modern Sikkh history in a way that is both paletteable and accessible to the majority of the country?

All things considered, I think the documentary did a pretty good job :yes:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Max ji, I thought Cully was quite reasonable actually. He may sympathize with the Gandhis but it did not seem so from teh documentary. It seems quite liekely to me that Gandhi kept her Sikh bodyguaurds as a way to show she is not discriminating. I thin kshe understood the consequences of her actions, quite well.
Also Brar (army guy) also sounded quite reasonable. All the propaganda that has poluuted the environement would make one think in black and white terms. Brar made it wuite clear that it was in fact, very grey. He describes the situation on the sid eof the army. How chaotic everything was at the time... etc.

I for one am glad that I watched this. Now I can appreciate both sides of the story. Also, she investigates Bhindranwale's behaviour as a child. Becuase of that I now think that Brar's statement is quite plausible, that Bhindranwale might have started out as a saint but he did not end as one. Although, I think the documentary actually presents him in negative light. I am not sure if that's accurate or not.

Also, I agree with you, by having someone who is not really a Sikh investigate into Sikh affairs, was something very crucial to this documentary. Without it, this would not be appealing to the wide audiences, adn teh effect would not be the same. The emotions throughtout the thing, added to this.

And man I love that Indian reporter's Indian accent (who saved his pal), and Inderjeet Singh's? voice! :D Sikhs have to start using this guy in movies and cartoons, he sounds wicked!!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Also Brar (army guy) also sounded quite reasonable. All the propaganda that has poluuted the environement would make one think in black and white terms. Brar made it wuite clear that it was in fact, very grey. He describes the situation on the sid eof the army. How chaotic everything was at the time... etc.

One thing surprised me that how this brar Guy changes his statement.Here it is what he said

Operation Blue Star: An insider's story | NewsX

And a stage had come when law and order situation was collapsing so fast that something had to be done. Pakistan was all ready and all set to recognize Khalistan the moment its declared. And there was a possibility of Khalistan being declared in a next few days.

And imagine if Khalistan was declared and Pakistan recognize them, they would repeat a Bangladesh on us

And I am so surprised that nothing like this was said to BBC .What he said was that sikhs from all over the Punjab were going to surround the Army

May be next time he will say USA was going to recognise khalistan and That's why bluestar happened

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
One thing surprised me that how this brar Guy changes his statement.Here it is what he said

Operation Blue Star: An insider's story | NewsX

And a stage had come when law and order situation was collapsing so fast that something had to be done. Pakistan was all ready and all set to recognize Khalistan the moment its declared. And there was a possibility of Khalistan being declared in a next few days.

And imagine if Khalistan was declared and Pakistan recognize them, they would repeat a Bangladesh on us...

And I am so surprised that nothing like this was said to BBC.
Yes, there weren't a lot of things in that documentary.

What he said was that sikhs from all over the Punjab were going to surround the Army
What are you going on about?? He said this when he was asked why he couldn't delay the Operation, why it had to be done quickly.
When Sikhs will see that the Indian army is (what seems like) attacking the Golden Temple they would rush to defend it. Thus surrounding the army, and making the situation worse.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
What are you going on about?? He said this when he was asked why he couldn't delay the Operation, why it had to be done quickly.
When Sikhs will see that the Indian army is (what seems like) attacking the Golden Temple they would rush to defend it. Thus surrounding the army, and making the situation worse.

Read the link I posted .In that he said that a bangladesh like situation was going to arise
that's why bluestar had to be done immidiately no such thing that sikhs will rush to save golden temple was said

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: