• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SAFAR What Is SAFAR?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Sikh feminist perspective is inherent within Sikhi’s fundamental message of equality and egalitarianism. However, there is a dearth of Sikh feminist literature, analysis or interpretation. Sikh women have been written out of history, their actions and contributions have been largely marginalized, ignored or re-told through the prism of patriarchy. They are absent, except for token figures, from Sikh institutions.

SAFAR, The Sikh Feminist Research Institute, has been established to cultivate Sikh feminism and to develop the theoretical analysis required to address the social, economic and political issues that have given rise to and continue to contribute to the present state of gender inequality. SAFAR feels that this can be achieved by providing accessibility to academic research, creating avenues for applying and connecting theoretical work and by preserving the authenticity of Sikh women’s voices within the academy.

SAFAR seeks to respond to current events of relevance to the Sikh community, by creating a network of researchers, scholars, and intellectuals around the globe, and enabling them to share their work with others. This work in turn will provide resources to support grassroots community organizations and NGOs that are working on the front-lines (such as the Sikh Activist network, Sikh Coalition, SALDEF, Jakara and many more) so that their important work is strengthened with a theoretical basis for action.

Mission
SAFAR serves as a collective to foster research concerning social, economic and political justice through Sikh feminist values and aims to create an inclusive environment encouraging free dialogue and expression to cultivate sangat.

Objectives
In order to achieve our mission, SAFAR has defined the objectives that the organization will focus on in its operation

1. To promote and cultivate Sikh feminist research
SAFAR will provide infrastructural support to actively exchange knowledge, disseminate, proactively promote and facilitate Sikh feminist research by creating virtual and real spaces for research output, such as:

1. Publish an on-line academic peer-reviewed research journal specializing in Sikh feminism
2. Create a digital repository, which includes a database of existing publications,
3. Public dissemination through conferences, lectures and panel events
In addition to promoting and cultivating Sikh feminist thought and literature, SAFAR will serve as a space where Sikh feminists are valued, encouraged and their voices enriched. It is more than a network. It is a collective, a sisterhood, a safe space to discuss Sikhi, gender and the implications of patriarchy​

2. Build alliances
SAFAR will build connections with other organizations working with a similar vision and mission, on local, national and global levels through online networking as well as solidarity at events.

3. Engage with the Community
SAFAR will interact with the local and transnational Sikh community by holding events, conducting online outreach, committing to be responsive to community feedback, and supporting other Sikh community organizations by having a presence at their events.

Accountability
SAFAR has three communities of accountability:
1. the academy, in which it is situated,
2. the feminist movement, from which it draws its nourishment and vision and
3. the global Sikh community, since the guiding principles of SAFAR are rooted in Sikhi.

Our Guiding Principles & Values
SAFAR is a non-for-profit organization comprising academics, educators, activists and independent researchers who are committed to promote and sustain Sikh feminist research.

SAFAR is dedicated to the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge, uphold the fundamental commitments of academic freedom, freedom of expression and association.

SAFAR is committed to protect the right to be free of hate activity, based on age, ancestry, citizenship, creed (religion), colour, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender identity, level of literacy, marital status, place of origin, membership in a union or staff association, political affiliation, race, receipt of public assistance, record of offences, sex, sexual orientation or any other personal characteristics by or within the organization.

http://www.sikhfeministresearch.org/about/

Attachments

• sikh-women.jpg
    sikh-women.jpg
    65.9 KB · Reads: 228

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
This is definitely needed and very cool. I have long advocated Sikh women - Kaurs - standing up for ourselves instead of waiting for our dear Singhs to come to their senses. No, if we are to be free and equal in practice as well as in theory, we must do it ourselves.

A woman cannot be freed save she free herself. Neither can you enslave a free woman; the most you can do is kill her.

Paraphrase actually.

While I am a lifelong advocate of women's rights, I quit calling myself a feminist back in the 1970s. I will re-attach the label to myself as long as it is understood that feminism does not necessarily imply:

1. A pro abortion-on-demand stance (There is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to start.)
2. A dislike of men (I find many of to be quite sweet, in their own way.)
3. A lack of a sense of humour. (I just couldn't survive without humour)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: