• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Self Update On The Gurdwara

sikhconvert

SPNer
Aug 27, 2016
Las Vegas
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I't's been a pretty long time since I have posted. The last time I did, I left on quite a depressive note, explaining how my first ever experience attending gurdwara was a little chilly, to say honestly. I haven't posted here much, and felt disappointed with the fact I was not only the lone young adult (it was all elderly and parents with children), but also couldn't speak Punjabi. Nobody ever responded to my emails and I had no one to go with. Tejwant Singh ji offered as he lives in my city, but as I was forced to double hours at work and care for my brothers after my mother was hospitalized I never was able to follow through on his offer. About a month ago, I was invited from a different Sikh forum to join an all-Kaur Discord server, where luckily I did meet a fellow convert to Sikhi, a Kaur who has very similar circumstances as myself! Lately I have been carving time, as much as possible, to go to the gurdwara with her. We go on weekdays, where there is at most maybe 4 others, who still mostly speak Punjabi, but actually acknowledge our existence and make sure our time there is a positive experience (they taught us how to cook rotis). We've also been trying to learn Gurmukhi together, and while we HAD a teacher who knew English, this past week we had an older gentleman who knows LIMITED English, sit right down and teach us! Teaches us well too! A very kind man, he is, and we look forward to going back possibly next week! He says "Me, Punjabi teacher! You, English teacher!" :) He then pointed to various parts of his body, and then to ours (ie our noses, our feet, our hands) and repeated "Same! Same everything!" :) :) :)

I wrote this to update others who might remember my past posts, and to show that since that time, I've been connecting to the sangat and strengthening my conviction in Sikhi even more. Thank you all for being so supportive as well. :)

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
WJKK WJKF

Awesome! I am so glad your experience is now positive!!! Told you there are those or there who will help and who will welcome you with open arms. You can't base an entire religion on actions (or inactions) of a few.

Please keep us posted!

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I't's been a pretty long time since I have posted. The last time I did, I left on quite a depressive note, explaining how my first ever experience attending gurdwara was a little chilly, to say honestly. I haven't posted here much, and felt disappointed with the fact I was not only the lone young adult (it was all elderly and parents with children), but also couldn't speak Punjabi. Nobody ever responded to my emails and I had no one to go with. Tejwant Singh ji offered as he lives in my city, but as I was forced to double hours at work and care for my brothers after my mother was hospitalized I never was able to follow through on his offer. About a month ago, I was invited from a different Sikh forum to join an all-Kaur Discord server, where luckily I did meet a fellow convert to Sikhi, a Kaur who has very similar circumstances as myself! Lately I have been carving time, as much as possible, to go to the gurdwara with her. We go on weekdays, where there is at most maybe 4 others, who still mostly speak Punjabi, but actually acknowledge our existence and make sure our time there is a positive experience (they taught us how to cook rotis). We've also been trying to learn Gurmukhi together, and while we HAD a teacher who knew English, this past week we had an older gentleman who knows LIMITED English, sit right down and teach us! Teaches us well too! A very kind man, he is, and we look forward to going back possibly next week! He says "Me, Punjabi teacher! You, English teacher!" :) He then pointed to various parts of his body, and then to ours (ie our noses, our feet, our hands) and repeated "Same! Same everything!" :) :) :)

I wrote this to update others who might remember my past posts, and to show that since that time, I've been connecting to the sangat and strengthening my conviction in Sikhi even more. Thank you all for being so supportive as well. :)
....bless you !

The beautiful thing about Sikhism is that it prohibits indoctrination of a particular kind and fosters one's own belief n value to the point that God is "one" and can be found in all religions or even non religious societies. Indeed, Sikh philosophy n practice require sound ground to ascend spiritual heights, stressing the need for education and familiarity with Sikh tenets as a must to fully understand and appreciate its ideology and theory. Gurdwaras serve that primary function and provide basic literature as well to help wannabe adepts to self-discovery.The kind gentleman in question is your Icon Sikh for all Sikhs are of the one mould when it comes to "seva" [selfless service].

Wishing you all the best on your journey and remember, it's not the destination but the journey Sikh that is of importance for the moments occasioned en route will add up to an unending stream of happiness.

Kind regards

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM