• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

To Become A Sikh For Love

RiRa

SPNer
Aug 24, 2011
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!!

I would like to get some help and advise from the faithful followers "Guru Granth Sahib".

Though all my life I have always believed one God and resented rituals, i was born in a Hindu family. it took close to 27 years to meeting someone special, after 27 years i met a Sikh girl and fell in love. Now we have reached a point where we have to marry each other. Being true to Sikh religion my girlfriend's mother doesn't want her daughter to marry anyone other than a Silk.

Its been more than 2 years and I am turning 30 and my girlfriend is now 27. We want to marry but she is forced to pick between her family and he love. She needs both and cant just pick one. She is struggling to make a decision and i am unable to see her struggle...

After reading a bit about the ten Gurus and the "Guru Granth Sahib" I am happy to see the belief on "One God" and further reading I read about the marriage.

As per "http://sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_four_chap_eleven.html"

It says that:
a. A Sikh man and woman should enter wedlock without giving thought to the prospective spouse's caste and descent.
b. A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

I have a question regarding the above two statements from the "Guru Granth Sahib".

It clearly says that when getting married one should not think about spouse's caste and descent but also says that a Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

Does this mean that, though i was a born Hindu and now i accept "Sikhism" and then become a Sikh, I will be able to marry love of my life ?

If thats so, what ceremony should I follow to become a Sikh ?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Raj

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: How to become a Sikh ?

Rajji

Gurfartehji

There are many different reasons people are driven to find the creator, for me personally, it feels like something I was born to do, the huge hole inside me begs to be filled, and I can find nothing else that fills it ,like the knowledge of how to exactly connect with it. That is the reason I am a sikh.

So lets be frank here, at this present time, the reason you are contemplating a life of sikhism is so that you can marry your love and be socially whole within her family. I do not think this an issue of any magnitude whatsoever, if you believe in one god, and that god is everywhere, and you are prepared to view the SGGSji as the highest authority on the matter, then you are already a sikh, there is no real need for ceremony, in your situation it is mostly down to who you put your faith in,

Sikhism is a very simple religion, a very personal religion, it is not grounded on rituals or deities, and if you can manage the above, I would have thought that enough, until you decide to either stay at that level, or shoot higher

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Admin notes:

1) This thread has been moved to the relationships section of the forum as that is the central theme.

2) Any users posting repeated spam messages containing links to commercial sites will be banned and the messages deleted.

passingby

SPNer
Nov 20, 2010
Practically speaking if you start believing in Guru Grantha Sahib as your spiritual guide/guru/source-of-spirituality then your prospective mother-in-law should be okay with you as a prospective groom. This is assuming that your prospective m-in-law does not expect you to keep long hair or to partake Amrit. But in case she requires that you could try learning to tie a turban and then let the hair grow.
A word about tying a turban. You should choose a softer cloth and keep it on for at least a couple of hours in the beginning. The ears will hurt in the beginning, but they will get used to it :)

PS- Let me tell you, once get acquainted with Gurbani I don't think you would have any problem accepting Sikh ideas and philosophy. How far you go would depend on your spiritual need, your karma, and of course above all Divine Grace.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Q. Is it just me SPN has been seeing a lot more of queries like this lately?

passingby ji

It goes in cycles. You are not seeing things. Your idea of a FAQ is really very good and SPN mods/mentors should ponder this and perhaps put one together. Often we expend much time and thought answering the same question, and frequently the questioner does not like the answers and persists with anxieties, issues and concerns, until a thread goes off course. Your idea may give these discussions more focus and direction.

RiRa

SPNer
Aug 24, 2011
Thanks everyone. I am learning more and more by talking to fellow Sikhs and also visiting Gurudwara. I will go on a journey and lets see where it leads me. Only Sri Guru Nanak ji can help me get to where i want.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Regards,
Raj

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM