• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Sikh Turban As An Energy Channel?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
I read this on sikhnet

http://fateh.{url not allowed}/s/WhyTurbans

Turban as Technology

Turbans go way back in history as part of a spiritual practice. The top of your head is the tenth gate or the crown chakra. It is normally covered by hair that acts as antennae to protect the top of the head from sun and exposure, as well as to channel sun and vitamin D energy. Yogis or Sikhs do not cut their hair, they coil or knot it on top of head on their solar center. In men the solar center is on top of the head at the front (anterior fontanel). Women have two solar centers: one is at the center of the crown chakra, the other is on top of the head towards the back (posterior fontanel). For all, coiling or knotting the hair at the solar centers channels one’s radiant energy and helps retain a spiritual focus.

This hair knot is traditionally called the “rishi” knot. In ancient times, a rishi was someone who had the capacity to control the flow of energy and prana in the body. A “maharishi” was someone who could regulate the flow of energy in the body, meditatively and at will. The rishi knot assists in the channeling of energy in meditation (Naam Simran). If one cuts off the hair, there can be no rishi knot. By giving us the rishi knot and the turban the Guru gave us the blessing to have the capacity of a rishi.

The 10th Sikh Master, Guru Gobind Singh, taught his Sikhs to take the next step: Put a turban on the head covering the coiled, uncut hair. The pressure of the multiple wraps keeps the 26 bones of the skull in place. There are pressure points on the forehead that keep you calm and relaxed. Turbans cover the temples, which protects you from mental or psychic negativity of other people. The pressure of the turban also changes the pattern of blood flow to the brain. (These are all reasons that women should also wear turbans.) When you tie up your hair and wrap the turban around it, all the parts of your skull are pulled together and supported. You feel clarity and readiness for the day and for what may come to you from the Unknown….”

I have read elsewhere of someone saying that “Sikhs wear turbans to protect themselves from certain energies.”

Is this truly one of the purposes the Gurus intended for a turban – to assist to channel-in certain energy, and to repel other/negative energy?

I also read this:

Why do Sikh women wear the chuni over their turban?

Ideally, a woman also wears a chuni over her turban. It takes a lot of consciousness and dedication because it's definitely more trouble. The chuni worn under the chin and across the shoulder protects the grace of the woman. To put it simply, men have a beard to give a protective energy field around the face, women don't. The chuni provides that protection so you don't attract the wrong kind of energy. It means a woman is not sexually available. This is not just a cultural thing, it actually changes the way people – especially men – see and relate to her.”

I have NEVER before heard that SIKHISM says that one purpose of the chunni is to send a message that a women is “not sexually available”….this sounds more like a hijab’s purpose…I have never considered the turban/chunni on a women to mean anything to do with “modesty” or sexuality, speaking strictly from a Sikh religion perspective (culturally it may have such a meaning).

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
RD1 Ji -

Given that God is impartial, wouldn't the long hair and wearing of the turban tip the balance in favour of those who are as such, against those who are not ?

...over 2 u

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Sikhnet is pretty much owned by 3HO, they have a different slant on most things Sikhi

I don't know much about 3HO, and i should probably look it up. I know that yoga and meditation is something that our Gurus encouraged, however, there are some Sikhs that seem to make kundalini yoga like the centre of their lives....this may be the 3H0 influence....

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Given that God is impartial, wouldn't the long hair and wearing of the turban tip the balance in favour of those who are as such, against those who are not ?

I certainly believe in the tuban and long hair. But does the turban have the ability to attract positive energy, and keep negative energy away? Is that one of the reasons the Gurus thought we should wear turbans?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know much about 3HO, and i should probably look it up. I know that yoga and meditation is something that our Gurus encouraged, however, there are some Sikhs that seem to make kundalini yoga like the centre of their lives....this may be the 3H0 influence....

3HO have a strong element of Yogi Bhajan in its makeup, it resembles Sikhism in some ways, but not in others, but then I guess it is all relative.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I certainly believe in the tuban and long hair. But does the turban have the ability to attract positive energy, and keep negative energy away? Is that one of the reasons the Gurus thought we should wear turbans?

The tenth Guru asked us to keep our hair, to some that is enough, to others, there needs to be some super brilliant spirituality to it, I guess it depends if your turban is lead lined.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I certainly believe in the tuban and long hair
....so did the sematic culture once; check out Ezekiel 44:18 re turban and Judges 13-16 re long hair ! And that sir, would be your belief, which cannot be rationally deliberated !
But does the turban have the ability to attract positive energy, and keep negative energy away?
..just as much as Christ's cross has on keeping evil spirits at bay; again, down to one's belief ! Substantive Sikhism is to an end of the spiritual being having a human experience and that the latter [physical] a means to the former [spiritual] an end, meaning, sachkhand [abode of the soul].
Is that one of the reasons the Gurus thought we should wear turbans?
..if the wearing of the turban was favoured by evolution why is it that sizeable population is without it today? The turban was more of a status quo symbol in the then Indian society than it being an article of religious significance. However, a closer examination would reveal that this again is a matter of belief and not a matter of fact, meaning, it cannot be objectively tested for verifications.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
RD1 ji,

Guru Fateh.

3HO, which is a cult that has made Sikhi baana as its money raking business model, as a result, it becomes their duty to sell all the Sikhi regalia as snake oil.

Only Mughals and Pundits were allowed to wear turbans so they could be recognised from distance from the lot. As Sikhi is based on equality, this rule was nothing but segregationist. Our Gurus were very good at defying the status quo of that time, which they did quite gallantly and we are still at it.

All the concocted explanations of the turban by Siknet are as good as any bad moonshine.

Last edited:

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
3HO came from the mind of Yogi Bhajan, and Yogi Bhajan was appealing to a bunch of white hippies in the 70's; this is the cultural milieu this doctrine sprang from. So while I think there is indeed some truth regarding spiritual energies and hair, and turbans as well, I think anything Yogi Bhajan taught has to be taken with a grain of salt. I get the feeling much of what he taught has an admixture of mytical-sounding mumbo-jumbo to appeal to the hippies he was attracting.
What I'm saying is that, while he brought a lot of power and vitality to his understanding of Sikh Dharma, a whole lot of what he taught would never make it through a double-blind test. (As passionately and resolutely as he may have promoted, for instance, the spiritual receptivity of kesh, top-knots and turban, if someone were to conduct a blind test involving a test group of unshorn subjects versus a group of bald Buddhists, I would be very surprised if any scientific proof could be shown revealing undisputably that the long-haired group was significantly more perceptive).

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
3HO, which is a cult that has made Sikhi baana as its money raking business model, as a result, it becomes their duty to sell all the Sikhi regalia as snake oil.

I feel that at least generally, compared to the other major religions out there, Sikhism has maintained relative cohesion. I know there are some different sects, but overall, the basic tenants seem to be agreed upon by most....i hope it doesn't start to crack and divide as severely as other religions have....

Its also difficult to combat these alternate "versions" like 3HO which seem to appeal to people so much...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM