• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Sikh Parents Urge Families To Accept Their LGBT Children

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
It's really simple. I don't know how you can't understand.
Do people get killed for eating broccoli? No, because no one cares that you eat broccoli.

So stop caring if people are gay or not, leave them alone. Let them be.

If they are being persecuted, you can help them. But the only solution to eradicate homosexuality is in the intersubjective/sociolinguistic sphere (language)... not teaching children these garbage ideas (racism, homophobia etc).

Get it? No? Too bad.. I'm done talking about it.. what a waste of time. There are so many more important things in the world.. it amazes me that people care about who's gay and who's not whatsoever.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
The wording of the Anand Karaj Chapter XI, Article XVII in the Sikh Rehat Maryada is clearly about a "boy" and a "girl." That language would have to be changed before it would be right to have a same sex anand karaj, at least for those of us who use the SRM as our rule book for being Sikh.

I am not certain. Would a Sarbat Khalsa have the power to amend the SRM?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Do people get killed for eating broccoli? No, because no one cares that you eat broccoli.

If they are being persecuted, you can help them. But the only solution to eradicate homosexuality is in the intersubjective/sociolinguistic sphere (language)... not teaching children these garbage ideas (racism, homophobia etc).

Get it? No? Too bad.. I'm done talking about it.. what a waste of time. There are so many more important things in the world.. it amazes me that people care about who's gay and who's not whatsoever.

It is too bad some people do not care. Apathy is their only mate.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

I know, frustrating isn't it, at least I understood you!

ah veg again, not that I would consider you a one trick pony, what I suggest you do, is travel to a country that discriminates heavily against LGBT folks, and try that argument there. As a society, we should talk about anything that discriminates, if we followed your logic, there would still be whites only buses. No one cares if you eat broccoli, some people do care if your gay.

How is that going to help them gain equality? Should we stop caring about honour killings too? let them be, leave them alone, it will sort itself out.

who mentioned wanting to eradicate homosexuality? Do you want to eradicate homosexuality? if not, why are you proposing solutions for such?

I think so, so your saying you want to stop homosexuality? eradicate it?

Too bad.. I'm done talking about it.

You do that quite a lot, ever thought about furthering your debating skills? or should we not talk about it!

what a waste of time

not at all, I find your posts hugely amusing

There are so many more important things in the world..

like veg! and animals and super meditation?

it amazes me that people care about who's gay and who's not whatsoever.

so speaketh the eradicator!

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
The wording of the Anand Karaj Chapter XI, Article XVII in the Sikh Rehat Maryada is clearly about a "boy" and a "girl." That language would have to be changed before it would be right to have a same sex anand karaj, at least for those of us who use the SRM as our rule book for being Sikh.

Would someone please answer my question? Surely it isn't that difficult.

The whole thing about eating broccoli. Broccoli is very high in vitamin K and could kill me because of a blood clotting problem I have. I am, however, in no danger from LGBT. Perhaps we should eradicate that dangerous broccoli stuff after all. :motherlylove:

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Strange philosophy forum. A lot of passionate debating going on regarding this topic, yet without exception, every single post is resoundingly pro-gay.
I think it comes down to a fundamental conviction that we are constantly "evolving", i.e. improving, growing, becoming ever more enlightened, and that our embrace of homosexuality is one such marker of our steady ascent. I guess that's where my problem lies; I'm just not convinced that we are roundly changing for the better, but sometimes rather for the worse.
As our sacred green Earth is collapsing around our ears, I see us walking around with noses buried in our cyber-realities in hand-held devices, all the while convinced that we are swiftly attaining great heights of evolution.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Strange philosophy forum. A lot of passionate debating going on regarding this topic, yet without exception, every single post is resoundingly pro-gay.
I think it comes down to a fundamental conviction that we are constantly "evolving", i.e. improving, growing, becoming ever more enlightened, and that our embrace of homosexuality is one such marker of our steady ascent. I guess that's where my problem lies; I'm just not convinced that we are roundly changing for the better, but sometimes rather for the worse.
As our sacred green Earth is collapsing around our ears, I see us walking around with noses buried in our cyber-realities in hand-held devices, all the while convinced that we are swiftly attaining great heights of evolution.

your right! bring out the stones!

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014

You are correct Inderjeet Kaur ji. The wording of the Rehat Maryada would have to be changed, as all Sikhs are supposed to abide by it, as decreed by Akaal Takht. I think Sarbat Khalsa can petition Akaal Takht to make that change, but the final decision should rest with Akaal Takth. However, I don't think our panth will rally around this issue. Even if we did, Akaal Takht is in a precarious position, as homosexuality is outlawed in India.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

It is not that there were not gays among ancient people, it is just that they didn't describe them by this name. Records of homosexuality in Ancient Rome and Greece exist, LGBT community are not a construct of the 'New World'.
I would not like to start a new debate on an off-topic on this thread, but the argument that homosexuality is a product of the modern lifestyle or of what you call 'evolution', is highly redundant and incorrect; and how you have connected the 'embrace of homosexuality' with 'the collapse of our sacred green Earth' is simply ridiculous, to say the least (sorry to say!).

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
SSA
Brother, I didn't mean to suggest homosexuality was a modern development, but rather that the embracing and celebrating of it is viewed as an evolved and enlightened view. Perhaps it is, I'm simply saying that there is a human tendency to suppose we are always ascending and improving; this is a quirk of human nature. Changing, no doubt. But improving, I'm not convinced. I travel a lot and I study a lot; it's just my view that I'm seeing a great deal of collapse, be it families, marriages, ecology, grace and dignity, forests... on and on, and I suspect that the embrace of homosexuality may also be part of a pattern of things falling apart, as W.B. Yeats said. Even while we are sure everything is improving, simply by virtue of it changing, and it being us. If you can dig it. Peace:blueturban:

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Brother Onam said:
I suspect that the embrace of homosexuality may also be part of a pattern of things falling apart, as W.B. Yeats said. Even while we are sure everything is improving, simply by virtue of it changing, and it being us. If you can dig it. Peace

I think whether we embrace it or not depends on whether we believe people are born gay or if it is a lifestyle choice. I believe people are born gay, because at no point in my life did I choose to be heterosexual. I am what I am. As Sikhs we are taught to accept the Hukam. If it is the divine will for these people to be gay, then so be it.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
SSA
Brother, I didn't mean to suggest homosexuality was a modern development, but rather that the embracing and celebrating of it is viewed as an evolved and enlightened view. Perhaps it is, I'm simply saying that there is a human tendency to suppose we are always ascending and improving; this is a quirk of human nature. Changing, no doubt. But improving, I'm not convinced. I travel a lot and I study a lot; it's just my view that I'm seeing a great deal of collapse, be it families, marriages, ecology, grace and dignity, forests... on and on, and I suspect that the embrace of homosexuality may also be part of a pattern of things falling apart, as W.B. Yeats said. Even while we are sure everything is improving, simply by virtue of it changing, and it being us. If you can dig it. Peace:blueturban:

Do you mean as Sikhs we should never embrace equality and should never fight nor should we raise our voices against injustice?

Are these the Sikh values every Sikh should cultivate according to you?

Tejwant Singh

Nov 23, 2010
I'm not convinced. I travel a lot and I study a lot; it's just my view that I'm seeing a great deal of collapse, be it families, marriages, ecology, grace and dignity, forests... on and on, and I suspect that the embrace of homosexuality may also be part of a pattern of things falling apart,
Reference:: Sikh Philosophy Network http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/controversies/42449-sikh-parents-urge-families-accept-their-4.html
Onam ji
So you think giving legal equality to everyone regardless of sexual orientation is not an advancement? What are you studying? Where do you travel? Obviously it's not the S.G.G.S. because Guru ji makes no reference whatsoever to homosexuality. It's not mentioned because it's not considered a problem, only the control of the five thieves. Everyone is welcome to try. Perhaps you should consider getting rid of some of your Abrahamic bagagge.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM