• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World Puppet - Widowed Egyptian Mother Of 2 - Investigated As A Terrorist (BBC Video)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
#BBCtrending: The Egyptian puppet accused of being a terrorist

Story and video will load at this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25681178

Is she sending encoded messages?

A puppet is being investigated by authorities in Egypt over claims that it is behind a terror plot.

Puppet Abla Fahita, a widowed mother of two and YouTube star, appeared in an internet ad for the mobile phone operator Vodafone.

Authorities are investigating claims that the ad had encoded messages about a bomb attack, as the Egyptian government cracks down on the Muslim Brotherhood.

The fate of Abla Fahita has caused waves on social media inspiring a number of hashtags like #FreeAbla.

Mukul Devichand of #BBCtrending secured the first English language interview with Abla Fahita herself.

Produced by Neil Meads

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-10 at 5.04.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-10 at 5.04.04 PM.png
    101.8 KB · Reads: 340

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
To give some perspective to this story. Egypt is not the first nation to demonstrate a certain mood of suspicion over a puppet.

A current trend in toys in the US is the Furby - which can be hatched from "you-got-it" toy eggs. The video shows us the new Furby.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uf3QzQrb0yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It wasn't always this way. The image for this comment is of the original Furby, adorable, furry, with over-sized ears. And Furby could imitate human speech.

In 1998, Furby became all the rage and parents couldn't scoop them up fast enough for their children in-need-of-a-Furby. The US government saw fit to ban Furby from purveyers of secrecy and spycraft, government offices like NSA. Ironically this report from 1999 also comes from the BBC.

Furby toy or Furby spy?

Furbies - their lips aren't sealed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/254094.stm

Thousands of families across the United States could be harbouring potentially dangerous double agents - also known as Furbies.

The NSA - a furby-free zone

The Furby, a highly sought-after Christmas toy in 1998, is now a high-ranking public enemy and has been banned from National Security Agency premises in Maryland.

Anyone at the NSA coming across a Furby, or a crack team of Furbies infiltrating the building has been asked to "contact their Staff Security Office for guidance".

Immediate and real danger

An allegedly classified NSA internal memo alerted other agents to the Furby's secret embedded computer chip which allows every Furby to utter 200 words - 100 in English and 100 in "Furbish."

"Mee mee boh bay" - Furbish for "very worried"

Because of its ability to repeat what it hears, Security Agency officials were worried "that people would take them home and they'd start talking classified,'' according to one anonymous Capitol Hill source.

Photographic, video and audio recording equipment are all prohibited items for employees at the NSA.

"This includes toys, such as 'Furbys,' with built-in recorders that repeat the audio with synthesized sound to mimic the original signal," the Furby Alert read.

Furbys have ears

A Furby can be recognised immediately by its huge pink ears separated by tufts of hair. It otherwise resembles an owl, with a beak and big, round eyes.

But the furry, cute exterior is merely a shrewd cover for more covert activities.

Thought to have come into circulation in May last year, the elusive creatures dodged thousands of weary parents over Christmas, desperately scouring shop shelves to find one to take home.

Now, the 13-cm gremlin-like operatives are wanted again, this time for spying.

The fate of any Furbys uncovered at the NSA is as yet unknown, presumed top secret.

Attachments

• ferbyb.jpg
    ferbyb.jpg
    30.7 KB · Reads: 370
Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Inderjeet ji
I was hoping that someone would pick up the Rod Serling theme for the Twilight Zone. The archetype of the evil doll - which magically gains the power to will evil of its own accord - is a Twilight Zone specialty. If you or someone else had not done it I was going to have to do it myself. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSy8Ko1vSKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p/s What I really want to know: Did Egypt or the US get any leads? And were they good?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Inderjeet ji
I was hoping that someone would pick up the Rod Serling theme for the Twilight Zone. The archetype of the evil doll - which magically gains the power to will evil of its own accord - is a Twilight Zone specialty. If you or someone else had not done it I was going to have to do it myself. lol <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSy8Ko1vSKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p/s What I really want to know: Did Egypt or the US get any leads? And were they good?

That Twilight Zone episode still gives me the superwillies.

Dolls are intrinsically creepy. I hated them as a child and don't much like them now. Puppets are creepier. Creepiest are those ventriloquist dummies.

This takes creepy to a whole new level. I can't decide whether it's really funny or not, but it always has me in stitches. I wonder if he always gets randomly checked at the airport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHr8pySJiwQ

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM