• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Newborn Boy Is More Joy?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Gurfateh

I've searched for this topic in previous posts but cannot locate anything. I apologize in advance if I've missed something already discussed.

The problem is that still, to this day newborn boys are expected and celebrated more than girls. I find this quite sad that girls are not as joyfuly celebrated as boys.
However, recently during Lohri celebrations, I noticed that numerous people sent in girls photographs and details to TV and radio to congratulate their births for Lohri- which has always been dominated by birth of boys- this was nice to see that some are trying hard to move forward against the majority.

With medical advances, couples can now determine the sex of their baby, which is a great option for those boy thirsty families.

Is this wrong? or am I judging wrongly that such concepts of playing God should not be practiced?
How can this issue be socially accepted without doubt?
After all, in this day and age is a son really needed to be a heir for the family??

Bhul chuk marf

Luckysingh

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
People only cheat in countries like India because they depend on a boy and cannot afford a girl's dowry for marriagae, totally unrelated to Sikhi but this is the reason and most Sikh's do not do this but a lot of Punjabi people do.

Also Lohri is like ancient, we have no right to change festivities, if you do not like it, do not participate :) simple!

Alvarado

SPNer
May 15, 2012
People only cheat in countries like India because they depend on a boy and cannot afford a girl's dowry for marriagae, totally unrelated to Sikhi but this is the reason and most Sikh's do not do this but a lot of Punjabi people do.

Also Lohri is like ancient, we have no right to change festivities, if you do not like it, do not participate :) simple!
Thank you for making it clear. I was just looking for an answer to this question. I'm a Sikh newcomer and I enjoy learning a lot.

So basically giving birth to a boy means that there will be no need in money for dowry in future.
Got it!

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Thank you for making it clear. I was just looking for an answer to this question. I'm a Sikh newcomer and I enjoy learning a lot.

So basically giving birth to a boy means that there will be no need in money for dowry in future.
Got it!

Dowry is wrong and illegal. It has no place in Sikhism. Males and females are equal. Period. Cultural influences that say otherwise should be rejected.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Sikhs follow so much without consulting the Guru, and out of blue ask others, is dowry allowed in Sikhism? Is it ok to have preference for boy as per Sikhism? In the end, people think Sikhi is a religion which is just trying to reject whatever you are trying to do. But truth is that we haven't imbued the soul of Sikhi within!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM