• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nanak did not make us equal (essay)

GadarJeet

SPNer
May 28, 2024
I have come to this conclusion because I have analyzed the Granth objectively, without preconceived notions, deriving this nuanced position and others concerning the true nature of Sikhi as per the writers of the Granth, not the Sikh collective.

I have not tried to fit my position to respect any commonly accepted historical narrative or bend my ideas to avoid offending commonly accepted sentiments about Sikhi.

I believe the common sentiments held by Sikhs today are false and contradicted by the nature of the Granth when read objectively, without preconceived notions of holiness, ritual, or virtue or history.

Please read what I have to say before dismissing me as a heretic.

Onto my essay.

If Nanak included Kabir in the Granth, then he ascribed to Kabir's philosophy that is within Kabir’s writings.

Kabir however did not write a philosophy at all, neither did Nanak or any of the other writers of the Granth.

They simply made observations concerning the same thing.

What is the thing that, when observed, has created a consistent nature in the arguments made in the Granth by each writer?

This thing is an entity; this entity, according to them, is an extension of God, a part of God that we can preceive, while the rest of him is unbeknownst.

The word “entity” brings about some biases, and many would dismiss the idea I will discuss solely based on the language I use.

And these people will never learn.

This entity is separate from the self’s own conscious mind or self-mind (Manmat).

This entity is the unconscious that is of divine nature.

This entity is known as the Sat Gur that exists in all people, placed there by the creator, and its nature is of Gurmat, and it provides messages known as Gur Parsad or Shabad or Amrit.

The writers of the Granth have recognized this entity within them, noted its qualities, and how its messages have changed them and brought about virtues.

According to the writers the path to the Sat Gur is for mankind is tiny because it requires one to throw away all delusions, sway away from the collective, and once he has recognized the Sat Gur to follow it no matter what.

From here, according to the writers, he has become a Gurmukh, no longer a Manmukh like the rest of collective.

He is no longer ignoring his Sat Gur.

According to the writers not many individuals can take upon this path because it is difficult, and the path to the Sat Gur is small (many analogies are used to describe this).

The concept of the Sat Gur and the Gurmukh separates man, as the Granth points that the collective of mankind is wrong, misguided and weak while the minority of those who follow the Sat Gur are strong, beloved, and have acquired true virtue.

If Sikhs want to say that we are all equal, they have to accpet the idea of the Sat Gur that exists within all people and that is origin of equality.

The Sat Gur made us equal not a man named Nanak.

The Sat Gur made the writers recognize equality in all mankind for having a Sat Gur.

If a Sikh wants the true virtue of equality he must embrace the idea of the Sat Gur first and receive it in the form of Shabad.

Never embrace virtue for the sake of virtue, but virtue for the sake of Sat Gur. This is what the writers want.

The virtue must be provided by the Sat Gur either directly from it, or via its acknowledgment.

The divine aristocracy exists only within the self.

It is your only Guru not Nanak or Gobind or a thousand page book (Granth).

And the writers of the Granth (Nanak, Gobind, etc) wanted it that way.

dalvinder45

SPNer
Jul 22, 2023
This writer does not know or studied deeply with his spirit what the teachings of Gurus are included in Sri Guru Granth sahib which he just calls Granth out of disrespect. He needs more practice in Sikh values to understand Sikhism. Sitting t the bank of see you cannot fathom the depth of sea. In technical terms it is a fake.

GadarJeet

SPNer
May 28, 2024
This writer does not know or studied deeply with his spirit what the teachings of Gurus are included in Sri Guru Granth sahib which he just calls Granth out of disrespect. He needs more practice in Sikh values to understand Sikhism. Sitting t the bank of see you cannot fathom the depth of sea. In technical terms it is a fake.
Current Sikh values are not what is observed by Nanak and Kabir and the writers of the Granth. The values for them to be valuable to a person according to the Granth, have to be derived from their Sat Gur and be of gurmat otherwise the ideas are manmat.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020
"I have come to this conclusion because I have analyzed the Granth objectively..."

There is no way any rationale human can make this conclusion. The arrogance is stinking to high heavens.

"Kabir however did not write a philosophy at all, neither did Nanak or any of the other writers of the Granth..

Your definition of philosophy excludes common sense.

"They simply made observations concerning the same thing."

They write of metaphysical truths excluding the organic senses so this assertion is also disqualified.

"This entity is known as the Sat Gur that exists in all people, placed there by the creator, and its nature is of Gurmat, and it provides messages known as Gur Parsad or Shabad or Amrit."

If by your earlier rationale they made observations than this is a contradictory point because what is within cannot be impartially measured anyhow at the metaphysical level invalidating your entire claim because you invalidate the impartial and not relative yardsticks provided by the SGGS.

The whole Satgur is within you nonsense is also invalidated by Gurbani:

ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇਰਾ ॥

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਮਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਸੋ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਨਾ ॥ ਇਹ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋ ਜੀਅਹੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਰਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Irrespective of whatever misinterpretation you give this verse, it proves Satguru is an externality.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਉ ॥

ਨਾਮੇ ਰਾਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉ ॥੫॥

ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਤੇ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਤਾ ॥

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ॥

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਾਤਾ ॥੬॥

ਮੇਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਲਾਏ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਲਾਗੈ ॥

ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੇ ਸਬਦੇ ਜਾਗੈ ॥

ਐਥੈ ਓਥੈ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਆਗੈ ॥੭॥

Satguru is an externality, provided by the Guru Granth Sahib. Naam is the internal purification process. These are the metaphysical applications but hey! Neo-missionaries aren't known for their intelligence and nor boomers.

"Current Sikh values are not what is observed by Nanak and Kabir and the writers of the Granth. The values for them to be valuable to a person according to the Granth, have to be derived from their Sat Gur and be of gurmat otherwise the ideas are manmat."

Blase words you have no understanding of yourself.

You sound like a boomer. Sit down and retire from online. Your irrelevant generation has already caused enough damage.

Last edited:
📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel:

Latest Activity