• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kerala's First Sikh Convert- Nintyone-year Old Sardar Bhupinder

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Jan 21, 2007
Re: Here is the Story of Kerala's First Sikh Convert

[/quote]
dear guru ki princess
all religions give this type of justification for their rituals and symbols
if you visit hindu sites they too have justification for their ituals
but these justification hardly convince anyone that symbols that 5ks are important

I understand what you mean.
I will try to attempt to answer your questions from what I think, but I am not a proper sikh, so i will apologise for any mistakes.
I don't really know much about this but I will write why I think we should wear the 5k's;

Kes-God gave us an arm for a reason, he gave us five toes for a reason. This means he gave us hair for a reason. We might not know this reason. You could say it is like a tree. A tree with all its leaves looks beautiful and thrives with energy. A tree without leaves looks 'sad' and lacks energy and can not 'grow towards the sun'

Kanga- I think of the kanga as a 'portable comb'. it really is to keep your hair neat and clean.

Kachera- I found this answer on a thread about kacheras posted by Hai_Bhi_Sach
The following is a general viewpoint of the undergarment known as Kachera.

Kachera is an essentially an undergarment and is made from cotton material. The significance of the Kachera worn by a Sikh is that it is a halfway mark garment between a trouser and a conventional underwear (or Boxer short). It usually runs almost up to the knee level. It is the only most dignified undergarment that is worn by a Sikh or Khalsa in in public without wearing over a trouser or a pyjama etc.

The Kachera is also known as a “Rave Kachera” or “Barekaan Wala Kachera”. The name “Rave Kachera” comes from the fact that the cloth it is turned diagonally (i.e. at 45 degrees to the direction it has been woven) and sewn together to form a tube which is then further shaped. Hence the word Rave(diagonal). The name “Barekaan Wala Kachera” comes from the fact that unlike a conventional boxer short, when you sit down on your feet you will almost expose your genitals. Whereas the “Barekaan Wala Kachera”, because the way it is cut and sewn together, it clings to your thighs as if it has put the breaks on hence giving the wearer a dignified appearance. The leg opening closes up tight against the thighs.

Why invent the special Kachera for the Sikhs? In fact the kachera predates Sikh history and has its roots back to the times on “Ram”. There main reason for the existence of this particular design is that during the times of our Gurus the “Sikh Worrior” had to be ready for battle at all times (Tyaar ber Tyaaar). The Sikh warrior did not have the time to change clothes if attacked at any hour of the day or night. The Kachera allowed the Sikh warrior to operate in combat freely and without any hindrance or restriction. Sikhs fought many battles only wearing this undergarment. The Kachera thus plays a very important part in Sikhs daily life. A Sikh Warrior is always ready to go into action. The Kachera is thus an important part of a Sikh attire.

Karra- When a couple get married they exchange rings which go on their fingers. Whenever they go to do something (with their hand e.g. cutting vegetables, typing on the computer) they see the ring and remember the love they have for their partner.
Our karra is a 'bigger example' of the wedding ring. Whenever we go to do something, our karra comes forward and reminds us of god.

Kirpan- A police officer carries a gun around with them so that if anyone is in trouble and they need to use it, they can, to protect the other person.
Just like the policeman/woman, we are here to protect each other as well. This is why we carry our kirpan; to protect others and ourselves (i.e. self defense).
For example, just recently, in Brisbane (capital city of Qld, Australia) there have been men who have been kidnapping women off the street in the morning when they (the women) go out for their daily walk. One woman said she was saved because her dog barked and bit the man who was trying to kidnap and assault her. Now what would have happened if she didn't have a dog? What would have happened if she had a kirpan instead and knew how to use it properly?
(Sorry if I am using the wrong example to answer your question)
But, basically the kirpan is for self-defense and for the protection of others.

Again, I am not a proper sikh and can only answer these questions to the extent of my own knowledge.

Bhul chuk muaf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM