• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Can Someone Tell Me About This Music?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Sat Sri Akal!

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this music is something from 3HO or from regular Punjabi background Sikhs?

Thanks!

(I don't follow 3HO myself... and even though I am Gori I came to Sikhi through regular Sikhism however I do like some music that came out of 3HO such as Singh Kaur. I almost sometimes feel guilty though for listening to it because it's not 'traditional' and I remember reading somewhere that the music always had to be approved traditional melodies and instruments etc. So even though this tune really caught my attention I am wondering if the fact that it's not traditional, is it 3HO in origin since they don't seem to follow the traditional as much when it comes to music)

Tum Ho Sab Rajan Ke Raja - Bhai Sahib Bhai Nirmal Singh Khalsa Pipli Wale - YouTube

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is technically NOT from Amrit Kirtan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. But it is not 3HO music either. It is from Panna 733 of Dasam Granth, in section called Krishan Avtar. Depending on one's stand on Dasam Granth, it is not Gurbani .... or ... it is bani of the 10th Guru.

I am not sure if this is sung in classical raag. Here are the words from Krishan Avtar

ਤੁਮ ਮਮ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਮੈ ਦਾਸ ਤਿਹਾਰਾ ॥ ਜਾਨ ਆਪਨਾ ਮੁਝੈ ਨਿਵਾਜ ॥ ਆਪ ਕਰੋ ਹਮਰੇ ਸਭ ਕਾਜ ॥੪੩੭॥
तुम मम करहु सदा प्रतिपारा ॥ तुम साहिब मै दास तिहारा ॥ जान आपना मुझै निवाज ॥ आप करो हमरे सभ काज ॥४३७॥
Sustain me ever, O Lord! Thou art my Master and I am Thy slave; be Gracious towards me, considering me as Thy own and complete all my works.437.

ਤੁਮ ਹੋ ਸਭ ਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੁ ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜਾ ॥ ਦਾਸ ਜਾਨ ਕਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਮੁਹਿ ॥ ਹਾਰ ਪਰਾ ਮੈ ਆਨ ਦ੍ਵਾਰ ਤੁਹਿ ॥੪੩੮॥
तुम हो सभ राजन के राजा ॥ आपे आपु गरीब निवाजा ॥ दास जान करि क्रिपा करहु मुहि ॥ हार परा मै आन द्वार तुहि ॥४३८॥
O Lord! Thou art eh king of all kings and Gracious towards the poor; be Benevolent towards me, considering me as Thy own, because, I have surrendered and fallen at Thy Gate.438.

ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮੈ ਕਿੰਕਰ ਥਾਰਾ ॥ ਦਾਸ ਜਾਨ ਦੈ ਹਾਥ ਉਬਾਰੋ ॥ ਹਮਰੇ ਸਭ ਬੈਰੀਅਨ ਸੰਘਾਰੋ ॥੪੩੯॥
अपना जान करो प्रतिपारा ॥ तुम साहिबु मै किंकर थारा ॥ दास जान दै हाथ उबारो ॥ हमरे सभ बैरीअन संघारो ॥४३९॥
Sustain me, considering me as Thy own; Thou art my Lord and I am Thy slave; considering me as Thy slave, save me with Thy own hands and destroy all my enemies.439.

Last edited:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
p/s It is OK to listen to 3HO music. I myself will admit I enjoy it. A lot of people found their way to Sikhi through the music of 3HO, even though they did not join 3HO.

Thank you! I have not read much from Dasam Granth yet even though I know some of the daily Nitnem comes from it.

I do like Singh Kaur and her version of the Mool Mantra. I still listen to it. I am just careful that people wont think I am 3HO and into kundalini yoga just because I am a Gori. I want to follow Sikhi as it was meant.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well Snatam Kaur is a big hit with Punjabi diaspora in the US. At her concerts, New York to California, Punjabi fans will be there in big numbers. One I attended in Philadelphia, more than 1/3 of the audience were Punjabi Singhs and Kaurs, in full bana. So I don't think you have to worry about what anyone thinks. People are going to think their thoughts anyway, whether you worry or don't worry. lol

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I am really liking their music... I just bought their album on iTunes. If nothing else it will help me learn Punjabi because their music makes me wanna sing it!

Like this one too.... can't stop listening to it! It's got a really catchy tune, and a combination of traditional and modern instruments. (I did find this one in Guru Granth Sahib Ji on Pg 969):

Tuhee Tuhee - Bhai Sahib Bhai Nirmal Singh Khalsa Pipli Wale - YouTube

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
p/s It is OK to listen to 3HO music. I myself will admit I enjoy it. A lot of people found their way to Sikhi through the music of 3HO, even though they did not join 3HO.

Although I may sound like my dear veer BhagatSinghji, the message of Sikhism comes to me in many varied music. I have even found the words of Metallica quite inspirational in parts regarding Sikhi way of living. I think its ok to listen to anything that is inspirational and focuses you on the message.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I think its ok to listen to anything that is inspirational and focuses you on the message.

I totally agree with harry haller ji, and do this myself. It doesn't matter who is the singer/band/keertania, as long as the vibrations are connecting me with Him, then who cares?

Guru Sahibs have given the gurbani in raga's... I understand this point. Probably when I will start understanding raga's, that would be the real bliss, compared to current state of listening any music.

Forgive my ignorance please.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I totally agree with harry haller ji, and do this myself. It doesn't matter who is the singer/band/keertania, as long as the vibrations are connecting me with Him, then who cares?

Guru Sahibs have given the gurbani in raga's... I understand this point. Probably when I will start understanding raga's, that would be the real bliss, compared to current state of listening any music.

Forgive my ignorance please.

Arvindji

You did not strike me as a metallica fan lol lol lol lol

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Arvindji

You did not strike me as a metallica fan lol lol lol lol
lol

Nahi veer ji, I don't even know what metallica, rap, jazz or any other band is! But now looks like I should give them a try too :D

My room mate used to hear Madonna, so I also used to dance on those tunes 15 years ago. Later after meeting Michael Jackson, I heard some of his songs too. And that s it! :singhfacepalm:

Now if I even try to hear, then :angryyoungkaur::swordfight-kudiyan: I better keep quiet ji

:singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM