• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amrit Vela - The Naam

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sisji

My own opinion only

there sometimes are what appear to be contradictions in the SGGS, its possible we are not enlightened enough to see past the surface to the pearls nestling under, so in my view, these are not contradictions, we just have not understood the meaning.

I find that when you pitch definitive against possible meanings, you will always find the truth

I find the following definitive

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥ सिरीरागु महला ३ ॥ Sirīrāg mėhlā 3. Siree Raag, Third Mehl:
ਜੇ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਤਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥ जे वेला वखतु वीचारीऐ ता कितु वेला भगति होइ ॥ Je velā vakẖaṯ vīcẖārī▫ai ṯā kiṯ velā bẖagaṯ ho▫e. Consider the time and the moment-when should we worship the Lord?
ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਤਿਆ ਸਚੇ ਸਚੀ ਸੋਇ ॥ अनदिनु नामे रतिआ सचे सची सोइ ॥ An▫ḏin nāme raṯi▫ā sacẖe sacẖī so▫e. Night and day, one who is attuned to the Name of the True Lord is true.
ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਹੋਇ ॥ इकु तिलु पिआरा विसरै भगति किनेही होइ ॥ Ik ṯil pi▫ārā visrai bẖagaṯ kinehī ho▫e. If someone forgets the Beloved Lord, even for an instant, what sort of devotion is that?

Oct 21, 2009
India
In my humble opinion, there is difference between ‘Amritvella’ and ‘ Charai Divas.’

Amritvela is used to signify early morning hours; usually refers to the period of 3 to 4 hours just prior to dawn. There is no standard definition of it. But it practically means prior to dawn. However, views differ. We have another Line in Jap Ji sahib.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

Further Amrit vella appears on Ang 734 as follows:

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਵੇਹਰੁ ਮਾਣਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥
The Lord's wealth is like jewels, gems and rubies. At the appointed time in the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours of the morning, the Lord's devotees lovingly center their attention on the Lord, and the wealth of the Lord.

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥
The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted.

''Charai divas'' would mean from the beginning of the day.

According to 52 Hukum of Guru Gobind Singh ji ,the 4th Hukum states that a sikh should get up at AmritVela

According to Sikh Rehat as well : A Sikh should wake up in the ambrosial hours (three hours before the dawn), take bath and, concentrating his/her thoughts on One Immortal Being, repeat the name Waheguru (Wondrous Destroyer of darkness).

It is true, as stated by Harry ji, that any time is good for remembering Him. However, Amritvela has special significance as mind is at peace at that point of time and can be focussed easily. It is basic interpretive principle of scriptures that meaning should be assigned to the term with consistency and literal meaning may be taken when the context so provides and there is consistency.

In view of above, in my opinion, it would appear that the meaning of Amritvela is fairly crystallized with clear accent on ambrosial hours.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Taranjeet ji, thank you for your post confirming amrit vela.

For me the question remains why sunrise is not likewise encouraged as a time to sing Gurbani, as it seems equally specified in the Gurbani but folks focus on amrit vela more. Perhaps it is because sunrise is not mentioned as often, nor in Japji.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam

mundahug

My two cents. A lot of writers also find the hours before dawn most productive. Then there is the morning chorus (birds start singing before the sunrise). Contemplating on how this time of day feels must depend on how a person's life is lived. I don't mean whether they are spiritual or not, but what their schedule is like.

Before dawn, there is a period of time that feels good for doing something without the usual disturbances. Kids and spouse are still sleeping. No rushing down a cup of coffee and rushing out the door if we wake up with enough time to begin the day more gently. So it also is a good opportunity for an undisturbed time with God...free of the distractions. Its sort of the part of the day where we can go more deeply into worship than when the hustle and bustle starts up.

In Wicca, the edges of night and day are considered the time when the veils covering over "other side" are thinner.

I don't know enough to say what Sikhi perspective this has, but it is not only Sikhs who have appreciated this time of day.

J.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Charai divas is the beginning of the day in terms of sunlight.
Note that in line with nature, this is when the birds will also sing and help waken the rest of us. It is a ''natural'' time to be singing whatever for many of us wether that is whilst washing at the sink or in the shower. Naturally, when we hear the birds singing it instigates the urge for us to get in our own melodies.

The reference to the ''singing gurbani'' is how I see this fitting in with this period of time. If singing,what better than to be doing gurbani instead of eminem (for a sikh!!).

I think the focus is on amrit vela much more because of the significance as stated in above posts. However, every single hour of the 24hr clock is still the Guru's hour, but we ALL do different tasks at different times of the day, therefore to conduct a time diary in line with our working day helps to get a routine in getting things done.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Thank you Lucky bhaji.

Do you think there is a difference between ''fir charai divas'' and "amrit vela" or are they describing the same time?

As I understand it, amrit vela is not necessarily a designated time - it's 'sweet hour' right, which could be anytime really?

Whereas "fir charai divas" is specifying a time, precisely.

Could it also be suggesting sunset???

Fir charai divas does not refer to sunrise or any other specific time of day. It simply means the start of the day. For some that start will be at 4am but for others 4pm. The time is irrelevant. Imbuing Gurbani in your heart from waking is the important concept.

Amritvela - totally mistranslated. Lets look in more detail.
Amrit=the sweetness of Gurbani. Vela = time. Therefore, amritvela is any time when you are immersed in Gurbani. Theoretically this should be all your waking seconds and that is what Guru ji is trying to tell us on Ang 305 (shabad posted earlier) but we insist on missing the point on focus on irrelevant details.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
It is the birds' joining with their own nitnem. I mean that seriously. There are a group of primates who gather to watch the sunrise every day. Nature is full of worship.

The way I see it, whales also do their nitnem when they use their voices to be heard miles away. All of this shows us that Divine Songs for the Beloved are everywhere. God is praising God not only through humanity, but through all creation.

Not sure how this fits in with Sikhi views, but this is something I feel God taught me. I have a Doctor Doolittle gift, for lack of a better description.

But...after all that is said, there is evidence of this in every second of the day not only before sunrise. The time of sunset is sweet with its own beauty, too. I remember praying during lunch when I was able to work. When we have an opportunity to taste the sweetness of opportunity to pray without distraction...that is the amrit vela that comes in many different ways. And again, I speak with a total lack of knowing about sikhi. I just speak from the heart right now and as a poet who wishes she could fill every moment of her day with the nectar drink of gurbani. The SGGS is such a place where the poet of me can find nectar all day long. I prostrate to the One with word, thought, deed. A second given to God is like an eternity.

J.

Charai divas is the beginning of the day in terms of sunlight.
Note that in line with nature, this is when the birds will also sing and help waken the rest of us. It is a ''natural'' time to be singing whatever for many of us wether that is whilst washing at the sink or in the shower. Naturally, when we hear the birds singing it instigates the urge for us to get in our own melodies.

The reference to the ''singing gurbani'' is how I see this fitting in with this period of time. If singing,what better than to be doing gurbani instead of eminem (for a sikh!!).

I think the focus is on amrit vela much more because of the significance as stated in above posts. However, every single hour of the 24hr clock is still the Guru's hour, but we ALL do different tasks at different times of the day, therefore to conduct a time diary in line with our working day helps to get a routine in getting things done.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Jasleen Ji wrote...<<< but we insist on missing the point on focus on irrelevant details.>>>>>>>>>

Now IF everyones "eyes" didnt miss the point..and focused all the time..the 100 million or so optometrists, ..the Lens manufacturers, the Spectacle Industry, would ALL go out of Business..........and no contact lenses..no laser corrective surgeons..WOW...see what a simple focus issue can do...

But THAT is the PHYSICAL EYE...what SGGS talks about is the MENTAL EYE..the THIRD EYE...the SPIRITUAL EYE...and sadly many millions of us also have the exact same trouble focusing and missing the POINT Gurbani makes...so we have those TEEKAS, the kathawachaks, the GYANIS (like me and unlike Me )..ALL getting "EMPLOYMENT" fixing all those missing points and making us wear prescription lenses (buy teekas/katha books etc ) so that we can "focus"...and similar to Prescription Lenses in the Physicla market..we also have Specialty BRANDS here as well.."Faridkotee Teeka"...Prof Sahib Singh Darpan...Chahal Singh Translation...Manmohan Singh Translation..Bhai veer Singh teeka..DR harbans singh teeka...SGPC Steeks..etc etc..browse..buy..branded or generic...and again similar to physical lenses..quality etc..we see and focus differently in the spiritual plane as well based on which BRAND Lenses we are wearing..the person used to Faridkotee Teeka Brand will see LOTS MORE ORANGE...more Bhagwa..More Vedic..more Purans..than the one wearing the Sahib Singh darpan Brand Lenses...Nanaksariah Brand..rarewallah Brand..Sach Khoj brand..Nihung Brand..Takslai Brand..AKJ Brand...are further sub-brands....

WHATS EVEN WORSE..is that SIMILAR to SCREEN BURN that monitors and Plasma screens left with just ONE IMAGE would suffer from.....the Spiritual BURN IN IMAGE also occurs...so a person whose Spiritual EYE has been BURNED IN with a NANAKSARIAH IMAGE..he will "see" no more...EVERYTHING to him is Baba Isher Singh ONLY...Baba Isher Singh becomes SUPREME..one who cannot do any wrong..one who is ABOVE ALL...he sees BABA ISHER singh SUPERIMPOSED on even baba NANAK !!( who blends into the background)..so Baba isher singh becomes WADDEH BABA JI !!

WE are SIKHS...Guru gave us the FREEDOM to use our OWN god bestowed Intellect..akal..brains..grey matter...AAKLEEN SAHIB SEVEEAH...to QUESTION..to SEEK...to ASK...to DISCERN..to DECIDE..to be INDEPENDENT...yet we take the EASY WAY OUT...we get a rope and tie ourselves to some HUMAN..and follow him...swallow him lock stock and barrel...hook line and sinker..we LOSE our DECISION MAKING DISCERNING INTELLECT...and become subservient...slaves....of some dera..some radha soami..of some namdharee..some asutosh..some baba..some waddeh baba..SHEEP instead of LIONS...of GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE !!!

SIKHI...GURMATT is NOT a "ROTE LEARNING and MEMORISING" EXAMINATION..its a rational logical THINKING and APPLYING type of LIFE EXAM..each person is judged on HIS OWN MERITS..how he APPLIED what the GURU TEACHES to his own daily LIFE and PASSED (jeewan Mukt) or DIED (jeewan mirtu)...... Lots more of JEEWAN MIRTU..ZOMBIES than jeewan Mukts !!!

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=169608

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
This shabad on Ang 305 says a lot about morning routine:

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਮਃ

Mėhlā 4.

Fourth Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā▫e so bẖalke uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ

Uḏam kare bẖalke parbẖāṯī isnān kare amriṯ sar nāvai.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ

Upḏes gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ lėh jāvai.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi▫ā uṯẖ▫ḏi▫ā har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ

Jo sās girās ḏẖi▫ā▫e merā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ

Jis no ḏa▫i▫āl hovai merā su▫āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏes suṇāvai.

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥

Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>QUOTE]
Sometimes it helps to look at the whole shabad if certain lines or words cause problems.

Looking at this, you can see that it begins with giving a description of the Guru's sikh.
The first 3 lines tell us about the Guru's sikh rising in the early hours and cleansing which is in line with amrit vela activity.

Then the 4th line

Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi▫ā uṯẖ▫ḏi▫ā har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

mentions that at the rising of the sun or beginning of daylight ..ie.. this is after the prior amrit vela periond, he is to sing gurbani and meditate wether sitting or standing.-
-This implies that after amrit vela, one should be singing (gavai) the gurbani no matter what he/she may be doing whilst awake...ie.. standing or sitting.

-- To be singing gurbani doesn't mean literally singing with your vocal chords. It means to be 'in sync' with the gurbani or to be contemplating gurbani and it's words throughout the rest of the day no matter what you may be doing along side.. ie your daily chores or job/work.

This is emphasised again in the next line-

Jo sās girās ḏẖi▫ā▫e merā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

It is continued to say that you contemplate or be 'in sync'' with gurbani no matter what other tasks you may be doing in the day...ie.. it emphasises 'every breath and every morsel of food' implying that throughout the day you will be breathing all day long and you will eat.

So, in the day no matter what other things or tasks we all have, the common things that we will ALL do is breathe and eat, throughout the day. If every
every breath has the meditation and contemplation in action for the Guru then we become pleasing to the Guru's mind.

Because we have amrit vela and it is associated with the cleansing, then what should one do the rest of the day after??

- This is what it explains, -That after amrit vela and when the day begins or sun rises, then one should start breathing and consuming the gurbani ALL day long after sunrise.

It means that we may have the time slot of amrit vela in our mental diary but for the rest of the waking day this is what we should be doing throughout, not just for a set time but beginning at sunrise and after, from there on.

Another way of looking at this shabad
- We all can go about our normal day doing whatever we need to do. But we can also have a certain song in the back of our minds that continues to sing and play without our own effort. This tune can continue all day long without distracting us from our chores.
In the same manner, we can also have the gurbani singing in the back of our minds, accompanying us with whatever we may be doing.

This gurbani is there ALL of the time throughout the day whatever we may be doing.
It should be there like a song at the back of our heads, guiding us and accompanying every action that we continue to take.

I hope that is a liitle better with my personal translation and observation of this shabad.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you bhaji for the timely reminder to look at shabads in full for context. A basic oversight on my part, big mistake.

Also I found your personal interpretation very helpful. kaurhug

Oct 21, 2009
India
Taranjeet ji, thank you for your post confirming amrit vela.

For me the question remains why sunrise is not likewise encouraged as a time to sing Gurbani, as it seems equally specified in the Gurbani but folks focus on amrit vela more. Perhaps it is because sunrise is not mentioned as often, nor in Japji.

At the cost of repetition ,I quote from 'Quintessence of Sikhism' [SGPC, by Gobind Singh Mansukhani] .At para. 113 the author discusses 'The Techniques of Naam'; only the relevant extracts are quoted:

The best time to practise the discipline of the name is early dawn.Guru Nanak says in Jap ji
In the ambrosial hours of the dawn ,
Repeat the True Name and Meditate on His Greatness.

It does not mean that during the other hours of the day, the Name is to be neglected. The Guru's commandment is that sikh must concentrate on Name even while standing, walking or working.

Likewise at para 115
Guru Ramdas has laid down the routine of true sikh. Let a true sikh get up early in the morning and after bath meditate on the Divine Name. Let Him, with all concentration , repeat the name till sunrise.It shall remove all his worries and sorrows." Then let him go about his daily work to earn his honest Bread. The sikh repeats the name incessantly is loved by Guru. The Guru seeks the dust of feet of the sikh who remember God's Name and persuades others to repeat the name.

Then in continuation...

Nothing can excel the company of the Guru and devotion to God. Let him mould his conduct according to the Guru's word

Company of Guru= Bani...
Guru's word= Bani

Coming to your question that is highlighted in blue, I would be tempted to believe Gurbani can be practised at any time of the day. There are many Lines to suggest that though I find myself unable to cite,off the cuff, a line in support of this. There is a prescription that we should daily practice five banis. There is no restriction placed on practice of the bani after sun rise though there is no positive emphasis in abundance.

Let us look at the following line that signifies the the importance of Guru's teachings:

ਹੋਮ ਜਪਾ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥
He is not known through burnt offerings and ritual chanting; the True Lord is known through the Guru's Teachings.

There is great emphasis on Guru's teachings or Bani. Bani can be practised at any time of the day though there is no specific mention, as rightly observed, of practice of the same after sun rise. As Harry ji and Lucky ji has quoted the relevant lines I shall avoid repetition. Bani is to Naam simran/practice of shabad.

Thus Guru's teachings/ Bani is of practical significance and as per my little understanding any time is good for singing of bani/Listening keertan or doing keertan. Kindly take 'Guru shabad' as synonym of bani. Practice of Bani is also a form of Naam simran. Practice of Mool Mantra is also likewise.

I close with a Line of Jap ji as the post is fairly lengthy.

ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥
Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies, if you listen to the Guru's Teachings, even once.

Guru' Teachings= Bani
In nutshell Bani can be practised at any time of the day.
Hope I made some sense.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: