• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Re: Are we allowed to have Tattoos and Piercings

In my opinion, gurbani says no such thing about altering our bodies. I would like to see quotes from anyone who thinks otherwise. (I ask the question so people will think about it)

Lol, nice response the fact you cannot disapprove tattoos and peircings are rituals then i have nothing to say; even present Gurbani wherre it says tattoos are not rituals and it will be accepted.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Lol, nice response the fact you cannot disapprove tattoos and peircings are rituals then i have nothing to say; even present Gurbani wherre it says tattoos are not rituals and it will be accepted.

Singh ji

It is impossible to prove a negative, that is to prove that something is NOT there. If Bhagat ji canNOT show that Gurbani says tatttoos and piercings are NOT rituals, that proves nothing.

And if Gurbani does not say tattoos and piercings are not rituals, that does not prove that they are rituals.

ooh, Would love to hear what Singh ji has to say for that. :yes:

But ya gurbani is not concerned with short or long hair. It is concerned with the inner self and how this inner self interacts with the outer self and the world.

i ll respond to this in the hair discussion no need to start this here. This should be moved to the hair discussion page.

Note: In context, it is related to this thread as a further example. (aad0002)

Singh ji

It is impossible to prove a negative, that is to prove that something is NOT there. If Bhagat ji canNOT show that Gurbani says tatoos and piercings are NOT rituals, that proves nothing.

And if Gurbani does not say tatoos and piercings are not rituals, that does not prove that they are rituals.

In Gurbani it talks about rituals and if not a ritual it can be disapproved. All anyone has to prove it is not a ritual, shouldn't be hard

i ll respond to this in the hair discussion no need to start this here. This should be moved to the hair discussion page.

Note: In context, it is related to this thread as a further example. (aad0002)

Hair is sacred in Sikhi and tattooes are not, two huge difference here. Like i said i ll discuss this in the hair discussion no need to mix these two completely different topics together.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Hair is sacred in Sikhi and tattooes are not, two huge difference here. Like i said i ll discuss this in the hair discussion no need to mix these two completely different topics together.
Hair is not sacred in SGGS, keep that in mind.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Singh ji

Let's ask why tattoos are rituals? How do you know that? Then if we can establish that tattoos are rituals, we can then move on to see if Gurbani forbids it.

I never heard anyone ever claim that tattoos are rituals, or that getting tattooed is a ritual. More like a personal experiment.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Singh ji,

I just want to add one correction to my statement, I never heard anyone ever claim that tattoos are rituals, or that getting tattooed is a ritual. More like a personal experiment.

In some cultures, yes, tattoos are ritual marks. But when that happens, getting tattoos is a rite of passage for young boys and girls and is part of their religious practices. If we criticize that then we are being intolerant of another culture's religious beliefs and practices.

Singh ji

Let's ask why tattoos are rituals? How do you know that? Then if we can establish that tattoos are rituals, we can then move on to see if Gurbani forbids it.

I never heard anyone ever claim that tattoos are rituals, or that getting tattooed is a ritual. More like a personal experiment.

Personal experiments for what?

Singh ji,

I just want to add one correction to my statement, I never heard anyone ever claim that tattoos are rituals, or that getting tattooed is a ritual. More like a personal experiment.

In some cultures, yes, tattoos are ritual marks. But when that happens, getting tattoos is a rite of passage for young boys and girls and is part of their religious practices. If we criticize that then we are being intolerant of another culture's religious beliefs and practices.

Here's where this whole discussion took off so read that then respond maybe then we will come to a conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs ravinder kaur kalsi
hello borneo ji ,its very difficult to say what is right or wrong .when i was 12-13 years old my mum had Amrit in india .my mum got ears & nose pierced same like most of our grans & nans that did not make them less of Sikhs my late dad was born in 1917 he had his name tattooed when he was teenager all his life this wasn,t a questionable issue .Why now .my daughter got khanda tattoo on her wrist that doesn,t make her better or worse person .if our mums are wearing gold stud in their nose it is ok but if a young girl is wearing silver hoop it is objectionable Why is that ? so i can say it is very personal how you take it

Mrs Ravinder Kaur Kalsiji

Behind everything we do there is a reason and it has a positive or negative affect on our soul. No matter what it is, it affects us directly or indirectly. A tatto and piercing on the body affect a person even if it is the smallest incremental change. Now to say if they don't affect you then why get them? Then getting a tattoo or piercing is a ritual and Sikh are advised not to perform rituals.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: