• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Are we allowed to have Tattoos and Piercings

Singh ji

Forum leaders are nannies on steroids. So please abide by my warning. Adding this thought. I did read the previous posts more than twice just to make sure that there was no provocation. I came to the conclusion that neither of the posts by the other 2 forum members before your post were sarcastic. They were asking pointed questions. That is my conclusion.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

OK -- The discussion has veered off topic and into a disappointing direction. So I have decided to move all the recent posts that are off topic to a different part of the forum. Please continue with the discussion of tattoos. Thank you.:)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

OK -- The discussion has veered off topic and into a disappointing direction. So I have decided to move all the recent posts that are off topic to a different part of the forum. Please continue with the discussion of tatoos. Thank you.:)
lol you got ****ed off didn't you? :}{}{}:
fools wrangling over flesh again! :happy:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Rather I would say exasperated. Please return to the topic.:advocate:
Ok

So ya what about plastic surgery/ cosmetic surgery and other surgeries?

What about those GPS transmitters that some people get inserted into their skin?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Bhagat ji

People have GPS transmitters inserted into their skin? Why? I think all your questions are good questions. Just wondering if this has anything to do with tagging someone so they can never get lost. Or is that wrong?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Bhagat ji

People have GPS transmitters inserted into their skin? Why? I think all your questions are good questions. Just wondering if this has anything to do with tagging someone so they can never get lost. Or is that wrong?
Tagging someone AND if they need help (like medical help) the "machine" will detect that. I do need to research more but i watched "Myth Busters" and they had some myth related to this and thats how i came to know about this.

well (good or bad?)... depends on how you look at it.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Tagging someone AND if they need help (like medical help) the "machine" will detect that. I do need to research more but i watched "Myth Busters" and they had some myth related to this and thats how i came to know about this.

well (good or bad?)... depends on how you look at it.

Bhagat ji

So you seem to be using the GPS as an example of how a body is altered -- and the reasoning is that it is for a good cause. It sounds like it would be a valuable alternative for older people with Alzheimer's Disease. They have a tendency to wander and become extremely forgetful -- posing a danger to themselves. There are newspaper reports of these poor souls wandering on highways. Families who try to keep them at home often end up finding an elderly relative has been picked up by the police. They are in a confused state. Nursing homes will often hospitalize these old people but keep them in locked wards so that they cannot wander.

The philosophical questions for the thread might be something like these. Are we forbidden to alter our bodies under any circumstance? Even if the cause is a good one? And even if we are not sure of the facts surrounding a procedure like the use of GPS?

And of course the questions presume that Gurbani forbids every sort of change to our natural form. That claim is still debateable as far as I can tell.

Cheers

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Bhagat ji

So you seem to be using the GPS as an example of how a body is altered -- and the reasoning is that it is for a good cause. It sounds like it would be a valuable alternative for older people with Alzheimer's Disease. They have a tendency to wander and become extremely forgetful -- posing a danger to themselves. There are newspaper reports of these poor souls wandering on highways. Families who try to keep them at home often end up finding an elderly relative has been picked up by the police. They are in a confused state. Nursing homes will often hospitalize these old people but keep them in locked wards so that they cannot wander.

The philosophical questions for the thread might be something like these. Are we forbidden to alter our bodies under any circumstance? Even if the cause is a good one? And even if we are not sure of the facts surrounding a procedure like the use of GPS?

And of course the questions presume that Gurbani forbids every sort of change to our natural form. That claim is still debateable as far as I can tell.

Cheers
In my opinion, gurbani says no such thing about altering our bodies. I would like to see quotes from anyone who thinks otherwise. (I ask the question so people will think about it)

The thing about GPS is that it can be used to keep an eye on people WITHOUT their consent. ... it gets kind of tangled now... when is it good and when is it bad to keep an eye on someone...etc

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

In my opinion, gurbani says no such thing about altering our bodies. I would like to see quotes from anyone who thinks otherwise. (I ask the question so people will think about it)

The thing about GPS is that it can be used to keep an eye on people WITHOUT their consent. ... it gets kind of tangled now... when is it good and when is it bad to keep an eye on someone...etc

So that raises another ethical concern and question. Is it ethical to implant a GPS (alter a person's body) without their consent even though the intent of the action is for a "good" cause?

How do we ask a similar ethical question about tattoos? Usually getting a tattoo is a voluntary act. So is consent assumed to be there? Also, could an argument be made that there are situations where getting a tattoo serves a good purpose?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Bhagat ji

Moreover, I agree with your statement

Usually in argument someone will quote from Gurbani and then extrapolate to all sorts of things, such as: wearing nail polish, body piercing, getting hair extensions, bleaching and dyeing hair and beard, waxing, wearing makeup, and so forth. Hair extensions makes for an interesting case because when you get hair extensions you are making short hair longer -- going keshdari so to speak, but by artificial means.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Bhagat ji
Hair extensions makes for an interesting case because when you get hair extensions you are making short hair longer -- going keshdari so to speak, but by artificial means.
ooh, Would love to hear what Singh ji has to say for that. :yes:

But ya gurbani is not concerned with short or long hair. It is concerned with the inner self and how this inner self interacts with the outer self and the world.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM